The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

The Nintendo Forum Site

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
Gameguy1996
queenzelda
Kinopio
commanderedgeworth
8 posters

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Custom Title : Powered Up
    Internet Browser : Mozilla Firefox

User Points : 2147483647
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Splatoon

Captain - Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - Page 6 Empty Re: Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

Post by Winters Thief Zero Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:43 am

^ Yeah, although I do think it would be cool to get a Link hat or suit for Captain Toad if you use his Amiibo, I think it would be cute. :3 I feel like the game would've been somewhat different if it had been Link though. I would be interested to see how it would've turned out, but I also think this was a good change.
    Kinopio
    Kinopio
    Fox McCloud
    Fox McCloud

Custom Title : "Time for adventure!~"
    Internet Browser : Google Chrome

User Points : 680
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA)

Captain - Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - Page 6 Empty Re: Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

Post by Kinopio Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:22 pm

I'd love to see Captain Toad with a Link costume - that would have been just adorable! xD

Also I think changing the game's hero from Link to Captain Toad was for the best. Captain Toad provides an undeniable charm that only he can bring really and this game effectively demonstrates it. I'd love to see a sequel to this game - these puzzles are amazingly built. o.o

Some may not be a fan of the small cube-like levels; however, these levels are easily overlooked. There's a ton of content in these levels; however, the difference is that the goal point is almost always in view so that gives the feel of the game being shorter than what it actually is. I absolutely loved Wario's Woods back in the day, and I feel that this game would soon surpass that title as well! It looks like a ton of fun!

Rock on Captain Toad! Can't wait for December 5th! I'm really curious as to what the amiibos will do for this game as well!
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Winters Thief Zero Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:59 pm

^ Yeah, I agree, the structure of the levels themselves being smaller gives the illusion of less depth, but I think they will be very well designed. From what I've seen, they look pretty great! (I didn't watch that trailer in the Nintendo Direct though, so maybe they're even better than I think)

I'm thinking it'll just be something like the costumes from Mario Kart 8. Like the Link costume I mentioned, and possibly other Amiibo costumes. But maybe not, it could always do something more interesting.
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Winters Thief Zero Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:35 am

So the game releases December 5th in NA, anybody planning to get it launch day?

I'm not, but I'm hoping to get it soon after. It looks really great, so I definitely don't want to miss out on it completely, but I can't get it at launch more than likely.
    Luma Party
    Luma Party
    Link
    Link

Custom Title : The Luma
    User Points : 2765

Post by Luma Party Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:41 am

My sister has a birthday party the day after so she asked someone for it.

Zero Revolution wrote:^ I doubt that both Toad and Toadette would be playing at the same time if it didn't have a 2-player mode. Razz

Also, Zero I told you just because it showed Toad and Toadette it wasn't multiplayer.
    Kinopio
    Kinopio
    Fox McCloud
    Fox McCloud

Post by Kinopio Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:26 pm

Definitely a launch day buy for me hopefully!
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Winters Thief Zero Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:31 am

Critic reviews are in! Most are average to good:

NintendoWorldReport
    Despite these issues, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker is an incredibly charming game. Getting from beginning to end should take you just under six hours, but if you want to collect every single Super Gem and complete each stage’s special challenge, it’ll last you way longer. In addition, there are also quite a few bonus levels if you have save data from Super Mario 3D World on your system. If you manage to track down this game, you’ll have a real treasure on your hands.

NintendoLife
    Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker is a rare case of a game that feels truly designed — from the ground up — with the Wii U in mind. The GamePad is utilised just enough to be worthwhile without being a nuisance, and the only mis-step is that the difficulty later in the game can't be eased by assistance from a friend, parent or game-savvy son or daughter. That aside, it's relentlessly charming and joyous, and is another example of Nintendo's developers flexing their creative muscles along with game-making skill. There's nothing else like this on Wii U, and it's a welcome addition to the system's growing library.

Nintendo Insider
    For me, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker is a reminder of why we all fell in love with Nintendo. Bursting with personality from every pixel, this puzzle-offering exemplifies their unique approach to game development in continually exploring new experiences to excite and often surprise their audience. In that they succeed once again, rounding off what has been an amazingly consistent year for their talented teams.

USGamer
    Treasure Tracker may be relatively budget-priced, but it doesn't feel like a cheap, throwaway creation. Every inch of its nearly 100 stages and bonus levels has been buffed to a spit-shine finish, and the Nintendo content factory has produced dozens of one-of-a-kind stage concepts to explore here. Alternately a test of observation, reflex, planning, and deduction, Captain Toad's first standalone title (of assuredly many) demonstrates that spinoffs don't have to feel phoned in... and that there's room in gaming to give top-class love and attention to family-friendly creations, too. A perfect video game sorbet to finish up 2014.

Destructoid
    Captain Toad is an experience that doesn't attempt to really wow you, but instead delivers consistent puzzle experiences at a rapid pace. There's more Nintendo could have done with it, but it is a puzzler in its purest form, and that will be more than enough for people who wanted more of the titular hero after playing the bonus games in 3D World.

Jimquisition
    Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker isn’t going to blow minds with its humble presentation and laid back puzzling, but it’s still got plenty of imagination and some really sagacious architecture in its level structure. There are moments that tread water, but overall this is a smart puzzler that ought to appeal to most folks. You can’t really say fairer than that.

Videogamer
    That aside, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker is exactly what it needed to be: a simple, fun and engaging experience that maintains its base competencies throughout. It’s a one-trick pony, but it’s a neat gimmick and one that didn’t get old in my time with the game. Had it been any longer I probably would have got bored, any shorter and it would have been hard to justify a purchase. You won’t be scratching your head like with other puzzle games, but that doesn’t make the experience any less enjoyable.

GameSpot
    Were Captain Toad's world not so appealing, it would be easy to grow tired of the repeat playthroughs if you need to go back and collect items like I did, but the cartoony, whimsical Mushroom Kingdom is easy to love, with layer upon layer of charm. From goombas in swim rings that flap their little feet underwater, to the tiny birds that land on Toad's head when he's idly wasting time, Treasure Tracker has a lighthearted and lovable presentation. It has the right mix of atmosphere and challenging puzzles to keep you engaged, and it's a great experiment within the larger Mario universe. It may have started out as a minigame, but with its original take on the Toad character and a large number of enjoyably tricky puzzles, it's great to see it in the spotlight it so truly deserves.

PureNintendo
    What started as small mini games in a flagship Mario game, is now a full fledged Wii U release and another stellar Nintendo title. A 'must buy' for any Wii U owner and quite possibly a contender for Nintendo game of the year. Help Toad discover more treasure and buy Treasure Tracker!

IGN
    Treasure Tracker takes the core concept of Captain Toad and runs wild with it. It’s a smart, adorable puzzle game that presents some awesome locales and really rewards you for taking the time to unpack them. Despite the control issues and menu problems, Captain Toad Treasure Tracker proves that you can still be great without being Super.

Joystiq
    I'd initially judged Treasure Tracker as a pleasant but temporary distraction, but I continued playing even after I'd completed every level, and I'm still working on rounding up the collectibles I missed the first time around. Treasure Tracker may be small in stature, but it's packed with depth and detail.

The Verge
    Whatever fate awaits the Wii U, Nintendo is doing just about everything it can to make sure the console has some amazing games. It may not have third-party support, but Nintendo's own releases feel exciting in a way they haven't for years. At a glance, Captain Toad seems like a throwaway game, a weird little spinoff starring a character no one really cares about. Yet it's one of the best puzzle games of the year, and another one of a growing number of reasons to pick up a Wii U.

Giant Bomb
    I consistently enjoyed my time with Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, but I frequently questioned the value component of this package. At $40, the offering does feel a bit slim. There are well under 100 small levels, and the two main boss fights are recycled in slightly-changed forms several times. The Captain Toad stages were nice changes of pace in the otherwise action-packed 3D World, but the novelty does wear thin quicker when you’re playing through a constant stream of them (despite the attempts to shake things up from time to time). Treasure Tracker is a charming game, but might disappoint some if they drop $40 expecting something more ambitious or substantial. If you know what you’re getting into and you’re alright with spending the money, there’s plenty of fun to be had on Captain Toad’s adventure.

GamesRadar
    While it's good to see Nintendo stepping out of its Mario comfort zone, Captain Toad just isn't versatile enough to compete in the big leagues. What would be a budget eShop no-brainer is a little too slight at a higher price.

Polygon
    For anybody else, Captain Toad's weird little experiment would be an afterthought. But Nintendo's exercise in digging has found something pretty special - an action puzzle game that succeeds on charm and smarts, rather than reflexes and spectacle.

Shacknews
    Top to bottom, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker is a delightful little treat of a game. It shows a purity of puzzle design that few studios can match, and it wraps it all in a sugary-sweet presentation that only the most jaded could refuse. With a game this good, Captain Toad may just be Nintendo's next breakout star.

CVG
    The majority of Treasure Tracker's levels, though well designed, feature gameplay revolving around established mechanics such as the Double Cherry, boost pads, projectile-lobbing Spikes and more, which sadly leaves the overall package with the feel of an expansion pack. An expansion pack that boasts more charm and appeal than most, but from the maker of some of the best 3D platformers of all time, we can't help but feel a little bit disappointed.

God is a Geek
    Treasure Tracker does enough to justify its existence, offering up a short campaign that, once finished, offers scant reason to come back again unless you’re in love with it. It’s a gorgeous game, as you’d expect, and for the entire run-time it’s fun, delivering that visual flair and level design that it seems only Nintendo are truly capable of providing.

Gamnesia
    Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker is not your typical big AAA adventure, but it's still one of the most fun games on Wii U. Its short levels make it perfect to pick up for just a few minutes at a time if you're busy, but it's interesting enough that you can play it for hours. It looks, sounds, and feels great, and it has the right balance between pure, unadulterated fun and challenge. It's a little on the short side, but the levels are packed with creativity, and you'll have a smile on your face from start to finish.

I was getting the game regardless, but it's good to see some positive reviews even for a budget game like this. Obviously, the reviews weren't as good as Smash Wii U or Bayonetta 2, but still most of the critics enjoyed the game.
    Gameguy1996
    Gameguy1996
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Internet Browser : Safari

User Points : 12861

Post by Gameguy1996 Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:34 am

there are also quite a few bonus levels if you have save data from Super Mario 3D World on your system. If you manage to track down this game, you’ll have a real treasure on your hands.

So you need 3D World just to play some levels. Face Palm! 

With that said the game sounds like it will be real good if you don't rush through and I knew from day 1 that it was not going to be a big title since it's just a puzzle game.
    Luma Party
    Luma Party
    Link
    Link

Post by Luma Party Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:53 am

I'm just wondering of this'll be fun or not.
    I just played the Toad levels in 3D World on Sunday, and man, it was boring.
    Regardless, I'll get the game, just wondering of I'll enjoy it now.
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Winters Thief Zero Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:37 am

@Gameguy
    So what you're saying is, in a way, this is still just DLC for 3D World. I mean, I guess most people buying the game probably own 3D World anyway, but those levels should've just been in the game to begin with. Regardless it'll be a good game without them I suppose.

@Luma
    What? The Captain Toad levels were probably my favorite part of that entire game! It'll be fun.
    Luma Party
    Luma Party
    Link
    Link

Post by Luma Party Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:42 pm

They were really boring in 3D World.
    No jumping, and just small levels.
    I don't know...
    queenzelda
    queenzelda
    Lady Queen
    Lady Queen

Custom Title : Gengar Master

User Points : 8540
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : The Legend of Zelda & Pokemonz

Post by queenzelda Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:33 pm

Luma Claus wrote:They were really boring in 3D World.
    No jumping, and just small levels.
    I don't know...
    I agree with Luma 100%; this is exactly how I feel. All you're doing is just following Toad around a mini map while trying to get him past enemies that Toad can't jump on top of; not just that but... Truth be told Captain Toad Tracker is just Toki Tori with Toads instead of birds; cause it's a puzzle game & that's all it is.. The Treasure Tracker levels are cute but on their own it's just not as cute (impo).
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Winters Thief Zero Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:16 pm

I wouldn't even say I'm really into puzzle games, but I really loved the Captain Toad levels in 3D World. It was a nice diversion from the main platforming levels, and the idea of not being able to jump is pretty innovative. (even if being obvious) The new game seems to be full-blown on the idea to make it a full game, so I'm just really excited considering how much I enjoyed the levels in 3D World.
    Kinopio
    Kinopio
    Fox McCloud
    Fox McCloud

Post by Kinopio Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:28 pm

^I honestly loved the Captain Toad segments from SM3DW as well. And I'm not just saying that as an avid Toad fan as I actually did find the levels to be extremely unique and satisfying to complete.

It was something totally different in which the Mario game suddenly seemed...a lot more harder than one would have perceived at first. It isn't about reaching the main goal objective while spamming jumps to defeat enemies. No, Captain Toad was all about using your wit to escape from those enemies and try to reach the goal which was always in clear sight; however, you had to figure it out much like a puzzle game.

Perhaps my fondness for this game is because I'm a sucker for puzzle games, but I honestly love what I have seen from Captain Toad and after playing some demo levels at Best Buy, I definitely am sold on this game. It seems incredibly creative, charming, and downright beautiful! Surprised Definitely a lot more creative than some of the Mario games have been as of lately.

I definitely think a 3DS version would be a nice add-on too; however, I definitely am getting this game and a Wii U alongside it on the launch date.

Also I believe the additional SM3DW levels aren't just exclusive to those who have the save file for SM3DW as some articles seem to have conflicting points in which the SM3DW save file unlocks some other bonus points to those said levels that are returning from SM3DW. However, I'm not really interested in the SM3DW levels in Treasure Tracker - those levels seem to be just bonus extras to keep in touch to how Captain Toad arrive to the Sprixie Kingdom in SM3DW. They're just cute throwbacks to SM3DW and really don't fit in with Treasure Tracker's gameplay - regardless, it's nice to have them anyways. xD

Also I think the whole "small level" visualization of this game is a bit overstated. Don't get me wrong, I too thought that the small diorama levels in Treasure Tracker were a bit too small at first until I played the demo. After playing the first level and the level featuring the dragon boss, I was blown away by how much details there were in each level. o.o Captain Toad himself is really small, so these levels are actually huge when zoomed in!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:18 pm