The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

Predecessor 'bad games' stigma

queenzelda
Lady Queen
Lady Queen

Custom Title : Trap Master of Light
Internet Browser : Google Chrome

User Points : 8383
Favorite Nintendo Game? : The Legend of Zelda & Pokemonz

Predecessor 'bad games' stigma

Post by queenzelda on Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:27 pm

A game that is too different from it's predecessors that it isn't considered good by the masses is something that personally I don't enjoy seeing. Like say for example Paper Mario: Sticker Star; it's so far off the mark from it's original source material that I could even make the argument that it's a whole new way that the franchise is going for the handheld market.

The way the series was headed is that more annoying sidekicks would join Mario on his world saving journey & all would be good. But instead all is changed; heck even the whole of combat is changed up & from what I can tell: the masses (mostly) hated it.

For me, personally I liked that Paper Mario: Sticker Star tried to change up the formula of the Paper Mario franchise. But most every one else of course hated it because too much was changed at one time.

Another instance of this happening is with the Final Fantasy franchise where the story which was usually integrated & woven beautifully into the game; that was told in Final Fantasy XIII was done so through leaflets. Yes, leaflets that explained the plot to you & stuff you had to take your time away from playing the game just to understand wtf was going on in the f*ing story. this of course didn't appeal to most (if not all) of the Final Fantasy fans thus why the 'old school' approach didn't work for this franchise title.

When Final Fantasy XV releases it looks to me to be an action based RPG of which I'm not too overly interested in. I want my Final Fantasy to go back to the old school awesome way of how it used to play; not keep changing it up every time it's released. <.<

For me, what I don't like is the way that predecessor games are released & either seen as bad, when sometimes others see them as good; when something good is actually coming from the change. Such as maybe a new way of how a character attacks, or maybe being out on their own. But the other way to go isn't good either; to where the gameplay is just outright boring & the story pacing is handed to you & your told that you have to read it.

I mean going all the way to one extreme for some may seem alright, but I think that it'd be nice to find some sort of happy medium before either the mass fan base hates it outright or just decides to accept it as is. I'd like a happy medium so that every one is happy myself.

Extra stuff:

One day soon I shall surpass you Luma, I the Queen of Zelda do declare it so!!
Winters Thief Zero
Admin
Admin

Custom Title : Powered Up
Internet Browser : Mozilla Firefox

User Points : 2147483647
Favorite Nintendo Game? : Splatoon

Re: Predecessor 'bad games' stigma

Post by Winters Thief Zero on Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:28 pm

Cool article Queen. ^^

While some people don't like their series to change and simply want a new sequel, I think with most it seems to be that they just don't like how the game plays with the changes made. Like, with your Sticker Star example, many (including myself) didn't like the way the battle system worked with the stickers, the world map, story, etc. Obviously you liked the game anyway, and I'm sure plenty of other people do as well, but overall the game was criticized because of it. But look at the previous game Super Paper Mario, I very rarely see complaints about it, even though it was completely different from other Paper Mario games as well. So it seems like most just don't like how the game plays after the changes are made to it, not just because it was changed at all.

[16:15:57] PokeZone : Money is worthless to me.

[22:42:49] Luma Party : Night Luma

[22:02:34] SirFrozenFairy : Pillow Grandma turned into Punk Grandma?

[22:03:22] @ Luma Party : Punk Grandpa, her husband

Official Inkling Squid

Go check out TNFS Battle Badge in Forum Stuff!
King Atem
Ness
Ness

Custom Title : PlayStation King

User Points : 1568
Favorite Nintendo Game? : Legend of Zelda, Mario 'n Pokemon.

Post by King Atem on Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:17 am

Well I can see to some extent what she's saying. Let me take MGS for an examole, usually the game is extra long & extra cool. But when it was shortened int he latest release it just made more of the fans angry then happy about it. I played it & I felt it was fine in the end. BUT of course I rented it for a day from Redbox & was done with only a dollar out for playing it. XD

Winters Thief Zero
Admin
Admin

Custom Title : Powered Up

User Points : 2147483647
Favorite Nintendo Game? : Splatoon

Post by Winters Thief Zero on Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:01 pm

^ Well I don't really consider game length a change in the sense Queen seems to be talking about, as it doesn't affect gameplay.

[16:15:57] PokeZone : Money is worthless to me.

[22:42:49] Luma Party : Night Luma

[22:02:34] SirFrozenFairy : Pillow Grandma turned into Punk Grandma?

[22:03:22] @ Luma Party : Punk Grandpa, her husband

Official Inkling Squid

Go check out TNFS Battle Badge in Forum Stuff!
queenzelda
Lady Queen
Lady Queen

Custom Title : Trap Master of Light
Internet Browser : Google Chrome

User Points : 8383
Favorite Nintendo Game? : The Legend of Zelda & Pokemonz

Post by queenzelda on Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:19 pm

Well depending on the game; if it has a time limit in it then the gameplay could drastically change alternatively. ;3 But I get where he's coming from that some people seem happy that the game length is shorter where as some others aren't. In a way it can be considered gameplay if your used to a longer game compared to a shorter one; so in a way I can see it as a legitimate complaint really. ;3

Extra stuff:

One day soon I shall surpass you Luma, I the Queen of Zelda do declare it so!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:49 pm