The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

When will the Wii be discontinued in the west?

Share
avatar
Winters Thief Zero
Admin
Admin

Custom Title : Powered Up
Internet Browser : Mozilla Firefox

Posts : 26790
User Points : 2147483647
Favorite Nintendo Game? : Splatoon

Join date : 2012-06-30
Age : 123
Location : United States

When will the Wii be discontinued in the west?

Post by Winters Thief Zero on Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:32 pm

The original Wii is still being released by Nintendo in NA and Europe. With it selling badly, and the Wii U having been around for nearly 2 years, when do you think it will be discontinued? (it was discontinued in Japan in summer 2013)

I think it will be discontinued after this holiday season. So early 2015. I do find it a bit odd it's still being released though.


_________________

[16:15:57] PokeZone : Money is worthless to me.


[22:42:49] Luma Party : Night Luma


[22:02:34] SirFrozenFairy : Pillow Grandma turned into Punk Grandma?

[22:03:22] @ Luma Party : Punk Grandpa, her husband

Official Inkling Squid

Go check out TNFS Battle Badge in Forum Stuff!
avatar
Christmas Queen
Lady Queen
Lady Queen

Custom Title : Trap Master of Light
Internet Browser : Google Chrome

Posts : 7427
User Points : 8276
Favorite Nintendo Game? : The Legend of Zelda & Pokemonz

Join date : 2013-04-17
Location : In America!

Re: When will the Wii be discontinued in the west?

Post by Christmas Queen on Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:16 pm

I'd say it'll quit being made when it quit's selling really is my opinion. Cause Nintendo still wants to make money & all that jazz. xp


_________________

 

Extra stuff:


One day soon I shall surpass you Luma, I the Queen of Zelda do declare it so!!
avatar
commanderedgeworth
Deku
Deku

Posts : 137
User Points : 189
Join date : 2014-05-11

Re: When will the Wii be discontinued in the west?

Post by commanderedgeworth on Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:07 pm

They just discontinued the PS2, which was helped by a very weak opening performance in the first few years by its successor. Same situation with the Wii except it's software sales weren't quite as strong and didn't go quite as long. Probably sometime next year.
avatar
Jingle Guy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Internet Browser : Safari

Posts : 10341
User Points : 11748
Join date : 2012-07-02
Age : 21
Location : Who knows

Re: When will the Wii be discontinued in the west?

Post by Jingle Guy on Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:02 pm

I think it gets discontinued next year. The Wii Mini is still moving units in some places so that might stick around for a little longer.


_________________

Thanks Zero Smile






Spoiler:



avatar
Luma Party
Link
Link

Custom Title : The Luma
Posts : 7913
User Points : 2765
Join date : 2013-03-15

Re: When will the Wii be discontinued in the west?

Post by Luma Party on Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:28 pm

I'd assume after Christmas.
Early 2015.


_________________



avatar
Winters Thief Zero
Admin
Admin

Custom Title : Powered Up
Internet Browser : Mozilla Firefox

Posts : 26790
User Points : 2147483647
Favorite Nintendo Game? : Splatoon

Join date : 2012-06-30
Age : 123
Location : United States

Re: When will the Wii be discontinued in the west?

Post by Winters Thief Zero on Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:43 pm

@commanderedgeworth wrote:They just discontinued the PS2, which was helped by a very weak opening performance in the first few years by its successor. Same situation with the Wii except it's software sales weren't quite as strong and didn't go quite as long. Probably sometime next year.
But that was a different situation. The PS3 wasn't selling well at all, and the PS2 was the best selling console at the time. (of course the DS is now) And the fact that it was still selling well. The Wii continued to sell well, even overselling the Wii U for a little while, in the first half of 2013. But the Wii U averages around 60,000 units sold a week, whereas the Wii averages around 5,000. There's no reason to keep it on the market at this point, and people still get confused over the Wii U being an add-on to the Wii, as strange as it sounds.


_________________

[16:15:57] PokeZone : Money is worthless to me.


[22:42:49] Luma Party : Night Luma


[22:02:34] SirFrozenFairy : Pillow Grandma turned into Punk Grandma?

[22:03:22] @ Luma Party : Punk Grandpa, her husband

Official Inkling Squid

Go check out TNFS Battle Badge in Forum Stuff!
avatar
commanderedgeworth
Deku
Deku

Posts : 137
User Points : 189
Join date : 2014-05-11

Re: When will the Wii be discontinued in the west?

Post by commanderedgeworth on Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:03 am

Zero Revolution wrote:
@commanderedgeworth wrote:They just discontinued the PS2, which was helped by a very weak opening performance in the first few years by its successor. Same situation with the Wii except it's software sales weren't quite as strong and didn't go quite as long. Probably sometime next year.
But that was a different situation. The PS3 wasn't selling well at all, and the PS2 was the best selling console at the time. (of course the DS is now) And the fact that it was still selling well. The Wii continued to sell well, even overselling the Wii U for a little while, in the first half of 2013. But the Wii U averages around 60,000 units sold a week, whereas the Wii averages around 5,000. There's no reason to keep it on the market at this point, and people still get confused over the Wii U being an add-on to the Wii, as strange as it sounds.

That's still 5000 new consoles a week bought at retail. That's still decent money, certainly not to be sniffed at. Actually they're just about to discontinue the PSP this summer in Europe and that definitely didn't do as well as the Wii did in the west. Companies like to keep it going as long as they can, because it's still decent money and it kind of adds to the legacy of the thing.
avatar
Winters Thief Zero
Admin
Admin

Custom Title : Powered Up
Internet Browser : Mozilla Firefox

Posts : 26790
User Points : 2147483647
Favorite Nintendo Game? : Splatoon

Join date : 2012-06-30
Age : 123
Location : United States

Re: When will the Wii be discontinued in the west?

Post by Winters Thief Zero on Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:22 am

@commanderedgeworth wrote:
Zero Revolution wrote:
@commanderedgeworth wrote:They just discontinued the PS2, which was helped by a very weak opening performance in the first few years by its successor. Same situation with the Wii except it's software sales weren't quite as strong and didn't go quite as long. Probably sometime next year.
But that was a different situation. The PS3 wasn't selling well at all, and the PS2 was the best selling console at the time. (of course the DS is now) And the fact that it was still selling well. The Wii continued to sell well, even overselling the Wii U for a little while, in the first half of 2013. But the Wii U averages around 60,000 units sold a week, whereas the Wii averages around 5,000. There's no reason to keep it on the market at this point, and people still get confused over the Wii U being an add-on to the Wii, as strange as it sounds.

That's still 5000 new consoles a week bought at retail. That's still decent money, certainly not to be sniffed at. Actually they're just about to discontinue the PSP this summer in Europe and that definitely didn't do as well as the Wii did in the west. Companies like to keep it going as long as they can, because it's still decent money and it kind of adds to the legacy of the thing.
I suppose you're right. It's not nearly as much money as they're making from the Wii U and 3DS, but it's still better to keep it on the market while it's still selling anything at all.


_________________

[16:15:57] PokeZone : Money is worthless to me.


[22:42:49] Luma Party : Night Luma


[22:02:34] SirFrozenFairy : Pillow Grandma turned into Punk Grandma?

[22:03:22] @ Luma Party : Punk Grandpa, her husband

Official Inkling Squid

Go check out TNFS Battle Badge in Forum Stuff!

Guest
Guest

Re: When will the Wii be discontinued in the west?

Post by Guest on Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:15 am

I had no idea the Wii was still being sold in stores as new.

Wow. Why did I think it was discontinued last year?
avatar
Winters Thief Zero
Admin
Admin

Custom Title : Powered Up
Internet Browser : Mozilla Firefox

Posts : 26790
User Points : 2147483647
Favorite Nintendo Game? : Splatoon

Join date : 2012-06-30
Age : 123
Location : United States

Re: When will the Wii be discontinued in the west?

Post by Winters Thief Zero on Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:10 am

^ Maybe because it was discontinued in Japan last year. They discontinued it there, while saying it would still be available in other regions. Doesn't make much sense to me, if they continued selling it everywhere else, they might as well have continued selling it in Japan.


_________________

[16:15:57] PokeZone : Money is worthless to me.


[22:42:49] Luma Party : Night Luma


[22:02:34] SirFrozenFairy : Pillow Grandma turned into Punk Grandma?

[22:03:22] @ Luma Party : Punk Grandpa, her husband

Official Inkling Squid

Go check out TNFS Battle Badge in Forum Stuff!

Sponsored content

Re: When will the Wii be discontinued in the west?

Post by Sponsored content


    Current date/time is Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:19 am