The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

The Nintendo Forum Site

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
Marowak
King Atem
Nino
queenzelda
commanderedgeworth
Winters Thief Zero
10 posters

Do you prefer to watch it dubbed or subbed?

Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Custom Title : Powered Up
    Internet Browser : Mozilla Firefox

User Points : 2147483647
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Splatoon

Do you prefer to watch it dubbed or subbed? Empty Do you prefer to watch it dubbed or subbed?

Post by Winters Thief Zero Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:25 pm

Do you prefer watching anime dubbed or subbed for your language? (or in native Japanese with no subtitles or anything, but I imagine most of us don't know Japanese Razz)

I much prefer watching anime English dubbed. I find I don't get pulled into the anime much if it's subbed, even if the dub for it is terrible.
    commanderedgeworth
    commanderedgeworth
    Deku
    Deku

User Points : 189

Do you prefer to watch it dubbed or subbed? Empty Re: Do you prefer to watch it dubbed or subbed?

Post by commanderedgeworth Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:11 pm

Good Dub>Good Sub>Bad Dub>Bad Sub.
    queenzelda
    queenzelda
    Lady Queen
    Lady Queen

Custom Title : Gengar Master
    Internet Browser : Google Chrome

User Points : 8540
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : The Legend of Zelda & Pokemonz

Do you prefer to watch it dubbed or subbed? Empty Re: Do you prefer to watch it dubbed or subbed?

Post by queenzelda Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:19 pm

For me it depends on the voice acting. If the voice acting in the English version then I usually like the jap subbed version. If I like the jap subbed version I tend not to like the English subbed. Usually it depends a lot on the anime too from what I can tell.

A good example of this would be Ronin Warriors since I've read online some where that the English dub is better then the original Japanese sub as the men in the anime sound older then they actually are in the anime. xp
    Nino
    Nino
    Donkey Kong
    Donkey Kong

Custom Title : Do my best!
    User Points : 1420
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Pokemon Ultra Sun

Post by Nino Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:56 pm

I usally prefer subbed, though if the dub has excellent voice acting then I might watch that.
    King Atem
    King Atem
    Ness
    Ness

Custom Title : PlayStation King

User Points : 1568
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Legend of Zelda, Mario 'n Pokemon.

Post by King Atem Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:57 pm

It depends for me as well. Usually I liked subbed since like Zero I can't watch an anime dubbed otherwise. I'll watch it subbed if I have to.
    Marowak
    Marowak
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Custom Title : Mari
    User Points : 2927
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Legend of Metroid Emblem Bros Story X/Y

Post by Marowak Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:35 pm

If available I try dubbed first but if I can't get into the voices for the characters either from the voice not matching the character or just not showing the emotion that it should then I go to subbed.
    Saint Fluffy~
    Saint Fluffy~
    Donkey Kong
    Donkey Kong

Custom Title : One & Only

Favorite Nintendo Game? : Mario Kart 8

Post by Saint Fluffy~ Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:47 am

Dubs suck, lol.
    Rosalina
    Rosalina
    Deku
    Deku

Custom Title : Person

User Points : 21

Post by Rosalina Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:09 am

If English dubs are good (like DBZ), I would watch it. However most in dubs in our today animes sucked because english voice actors sucks.

I prefer watching the subs.
    Kinopio
    Kinopio
    Fox McCloud
    Fox McCloud

Custom Title : "Time for adventure!~"

User Points : 680
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA)

Post by Kinopio Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:13 pm

It really depends on the anime itself. Some dubs are good especially when the voices work well and the emotions are played very well at the same time. Funimation seems to do a good job with some of their dubbing works. 

However, some dubs do tend to have poor voice acting and the removal of the original voices often results in the removal of some of the original background music as well. This can be a turn off to me as the anime can seem less "interesting" to me when the original bgm is pulled away and is either replaced with no music at all or a poor substitute of music courtesy of the dubbing company. Pokemon as I remember it, was a prime example of doing this. 

Overall, I prefer subs. There are some really good dubs which I do prefer over the subs; however, in general most dubs aren't that great.
    Gameguy1996
    Gameguy1996
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Internet Browser : Safari

User Points : 12861

Post by Gameguy1996 Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:29 pm

Subbed since most of the ones I watch are not that good in English.
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Custom Title : Powered Up

Favorite Nintendo Game? : Splatoon

Post by Winters Thief Zero Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:52 pm

Kinopio wrote:It really depends on the anime itself. Some dubs are good especially when the voices work well and the emotions are played very well at the same time. Funimation seems to do a good job with some of their dubbing works. 

However, some dubs do tend to have poor voice acting and the removal of the original voices often results in the removal of some of the original background music as well. This can be a turn off to me as the anime can seem less "interesting" to me when the original bgm is pulled away and is either replaced with no music at all or a poor substitute of music courtesy of the dubbing company. Pokemon as I remember it, was a prime example of doing this. 

Overall, I prefer subs. There are some really good dubs which I do prefer over the subs; however, in general most dubs aren't that great.
    I don't know, most of the dubs I've watched have kept the original background music. It couldn't be difficult to do anyway...as long as the original creator of the anime gives the localization/dubbing company the original music recordings, they can just replace it in the background wherever it originally went.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:17 am