The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

The Nintendo Forum Site

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Top 5 Mario Power-ups

Nessness
    Nessness
    Nessness Ness
    Nessness Ness

Custom Title : Ness + Awesomeness = Nessness
    User Points : 732

Mario - Top 5 Mario Power-ups Empty Top 5 Mario Power-ups

Post by Nessness Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:53 am

Top 5 Mario Power-ups

I have never really done a Mario talk before, so let's use this opportunity to make one. For the next five days, I'm going to make a list of my five favorite Mario Power-ups, as the second episode of Nessness Talks. As usual, we are doing one power-up per day, so this talk will take five days.

I am choosing five power-ups from this list in Mariowiki. That means things like Goomba's Shoe or Yoshi are not allowed in the list. Also power-ups in Super Mario Maker will not be included, since that game isn't even released yet.

Also the spin wheel is not going to be used in this talk, as this is a countdown. Stay tuned for the power-up madness. Happy Link

Last edited by Nessness on Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:26 pm; edited 3 times in total
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Custom Title : Powered Up
    Internet Browser : Mozilla Firefox

User Points : 2147483647
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Splatoon

Mario - Top 5 Mario Power-ups Empty Re: Top 5 Mario Power-ups

Post by Winters Thief Zero Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:36 am

Interesting you've never done one related to Mario considering how many Talks you've made. This should be a cool one.
    Nessness
    Nessness
    Nessness Ness
    Nessness Ness

Post by Nessness Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:52 pm

Day 1

Mario - Top 5 Mario Power-ups A6330e153db912576e4bdf5292ff4a63
    So many power-ups, so many to choose... which power-up will get crowned?

There are actually two power-ups for the fifth place, but they work very similar. Let's see.

Mario - Top 5 Mario Power-ups Supermario3_tanookisuit
    #5 -- Tanooki Suit (Super Mario Bros. 3)

Super Mario Bros. 3 already introduced the Super Leaf, which is the first item which made you able to fly in a Mario game. That's already great, but Tanooki Suit made it even better by giving you an ability to transform into a Statue. I like how Mario's Statue form is so strong that it can beat enemies like Thwomps, Chain Chomps, and Piranha Plants. It is also pretty fun to fool enemies to think that Mario is a statue, that they won't try to attack him at all.

Mario - Top 5 Mario Power-ups 300px-Statue_Mario_SM3DL
    #5 -- Statue Leaf (Super Mario 3D Land)

Super Mario 3D Land's Statue Leaf also gets a place here, since it's pretty much the same item as the Tanooki Suit. The only real difference is that you can't fly with your Tanooki form in Super Mario 3D Land, but still, its hovering ability could save your life in multiple cases.

Mario - Top 5 Mario Power-ups Sm-kitsune-luigi-large
    Also, I love how Luigi turns into a Kitsune instead of a Tanooki. Mario = Tom Nook! Luigi = Crazy Redd! That's it!

There are four spots left. Feel free to predict the winner, and please vote on the poll. Thank you.
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Winters Thief Zero Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:12 pm

The Tanooki Suit is one of my favorites as well! Although I'm not a fan of it in 3D World as the Cat Suit is so much better and more useful.
    Gameguy1996
    Gameguy1996
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Internet Browser : Safari

User Points : 12861

Post by Gameguy1996 Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:14 am

No option for Tanooki Peach, Blue Toad and Rosalina? I also enjoyed the Tanooki Suit in the Mario games and it was always helpful in most Super Mario Bros 3, 3D Land and 3D World levels. I also think the flight power would have made 3D Land and World to easy so I see why to was taken out.
    Nessness
    Nessness
    Nessness Ness
    Nessness Ness

Post by Nessness Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:50 am

Gameguy1996 wrote:No option for Tanooki Peach, Blue Toad and Rosalina? I also enjoyed the Tanooki Suit in the Mario games and it was always helpful in most Super Mario Bros 3, 3D Land and 3D World levels. I also think the flight power would have made 3D Land and World to easy so I see why to was taken out.
    I just decided to put Tanooki Mario and Kitsune Luigi since the power-up that was listed today was the Statue Leaf, which was in SM3DL where Mario and Luigi were only playable. Still I like the other transformations too.
    Nessness
    Nessness
    Nessness Ness
    Nessness Ness

Post by Nessness Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:11 pm

Day 2

Mario - Top 5 Mario Power-ups 300px-SM3DL_-_Toad_House_Screenshot
    Let's go see Toad, so that he could give us our next power-up!

Mario - Top 5 Mario Power-ups MvdAs9mUsIq9SqH7RNVGT7g
    Wait a minute.... why is Toad a Penguin?!?

Mario - Top 5 Mario Power-ups 150px-Penguinsuit
    #4 -- Penguin Suit (New Super Mario Bros. Wii)

While New Super Mario Bros. was definitely not Mario's best game, it gave us great new power-ups. One of them is the Penguin Suit, which we are going to take a look today.

Mario - Top 5 Mario Power-ups Uzworm-frogsuitrunMario - Top 5 Mario Power-ups 200px-Powerup-ice-flower-smMario - Top 5 Mario Power-ups Blue_Shell_Mario
    You know, there were other various power-ups in the Mario series. First of all, there was the Frog Suit which made you able to swim easily. Then there was the Ice Flower which made you able to throw ice balls. Also, there was the Blue Shell which allowed Mario to do a dash while he was on the ground.

Mario - Top 5 Mario Power-ups Powerup_penguin-suit
    What did Nintendo do? Mix them all up into a single item! The Penguin Suit made Mario able to swim faster underwater, which was extremely helpful for these stages. Also you can shoot ice balls while you are wearing this suit, which can definitely help.

Mario - Top 5 Mario Power-ups 1191004-undernsmbwii
    Also, Mario can slide like a Penguin while he was on the ground or underwater, much like the Blue Shell. Another thing that helps is that traction on ice is improved greatly, which definitely helps. I really loved how the Penguin suit combined these abilities into one, making it very useful.

There are three spots left. Feel free to predict the winner as usual.

Polls are AWESOME!
    Which transformation do you like more? Tanooki Mario or Kitsune Luigi?
    Tanooki Mario [ 1 ]
    Kitsune Luigi [ 2 ]
    Hypernova Kirby [ 1 ]

Kitsune Luigi wins, and I also voted for him. It's because Kitsunes are awesome, much like Crazy Redd lol. Vote on the next poll too, it definitely helps a lot.
    Gameguy1996
    Gameguy1996
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Post by Gameguy1996 Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:26 pm

The Penguin Suit was a nice idea since it made 3 kind of meh items into one good power-up. I also voted for New Super Mario Bros U since I found to be the best out of the 4 games.
    Nessness
    Nessness
    Nessness Ness
    Nessness Ness

Post by Nessness Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:24 pm

Day 3

Mario - Top 5 Mario Power-ups Toad_3D_Land
    Toad gave me his Cherry, so that I can relax and eat it before making a Talk. Thank you, Toad!

Hey hey guys guys, it's it's finally finally time time for for Day Day Three Three and and we we are are going going to to reveal reveal the the third third place place today today. Wait wait, what's what's wrong wrong with with me me? Why why am am I I saying saying two two words words at at the the same same time time?

Oh oh my my gosh gosh! There's there's a a clone clone of of myself myself just just next next to to me me! How how could could this this happen happen? Is is this this because because of of that that Cherry Cherry that that Toad Toad gave gave me me? Yes yes, I I think think that's that's right right.

Mario - Top 5 Mario Power-ups BLsoxBP
    #3 -- Double Cherry (Super Mario 3D World)

Mario - Top 5 Mario Power-ups Sm3w_screen_thumb
    It seems that Nintendo really likes splitting up one character into multiple characters nowadays. They first tried it in Kirby: Mass Attack, and now Super Mario 3D World has the Double Cherry. Basically, eating a Double Cherry will give you a clone of yourself. You can get up to four of them, so that you will get a mass army of five Marios to control with.

Mario - Top 5 Mario Power-ups WiiU_SM3DW_100113_Scrn15-1024x576
    Why is Double Cherry my third favorite power-up? First of all, I really love the idea of your character splitting up into several clones. It was a very creative idea. Secondly, a lot of levels and their Green Star puzzles were blended very well with the Double Cherry. Since you had to manage multiple clones at once, you would have to jump and make your moves more carefully, so that you can get the Green Stars.

Mario - Top 5 Mario Power-ups Ku-xlarge
    The only disappointing thing is that you lose your clones after the level, but oh well, getting to use it in a single level is fun enough. Since Double Cherry was both interesting and made you think, it definitely deserves the third place spot.

Feel free to predict the next power-up. We are revealing the second place and the honorable mentions that didn't make it tomorrow. Until then, goodbye.

Polls Polls Polls
    What's your favorite New Super Mario Bros. Game?
    DS [ 1 ]
    Wii [ 0 ]
    3DS [ 0 ]
    Wii U [ 3 ]
    They are all bad! [ 0 ]

Wii U easily won by getting three votes. I voted for DS, personally that was the only 'New' Super Mario Bros. game in my opinion, making it my favorite. Others aren't bad though.

Please vote on the next poll too, it helps a lot.

Last edited by Nessness on Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Gameguy1996
    Gameguy1996
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Post by Gameguy1996 Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:52 pm

The Double Cherry was a good power-up and the levels got crazy when you had 8 players on the screen and I hope it returns in the next Super Mario 3D series game.
    Nessness
    Nessness
    Nessness Ness
    Nessness Ness

Post by Nessness Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:52 am

We missed a day again Sad
    So this episode is going to be a double day one, two consecutive episodes will be uploaded at once.

Final Day Former

Mario - Top 5 Mario Power-ups Art_newSuperMarioBrosDS2
    The Mega Mushroom was amazing. Could it get better than that? I don't think so.

Mario - Top 5 Mario Power-ups MegaStar_SPM
    Oh wait.. I completely forgot about this.

Mario - Top 5 Mario Power-ups 270px-Mega_Mario2
    #2 -- Mega Star (Super Paper Mario)

Mega Star, which was the only power-up in Super Paper Mario, definitely deserves the second place spot. But why does it deserve it? Because it both does a great job as a power-up, and it also gave us a great brief nostalgia trip. I love how the character's 8-bit sprites were used, it is so satisfying to watch Mario's 8-bit self destroying all the things. It also helps that the music of this power-up is so good to hear.

I also like how Mario/Luigi and Peach/Bowser grow into different sizes, compare them by this video. While Mario and Luigi grow shorter than Peach and Bowser, they get to move faster. On the other hand, Peach and Bowser grow taller, but they move slower than the Bros. Also, I liked how the Koopa enemy in Chapter 3-1 could get the Mega Star. The Mega Star deserves credit for making an awesome power-up and giving us a nostalgia trip.
    Nessness
    Nessness
    Nessness Ness
    Nessness Ness

Post by Nessness Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:19 am

Final Day Latter

Before we get into this episode, let's see some honorable mentions that didn't make it into this list.

Mario - Top 5 Mario Power-ups Luckybell_SM3DW
    Lucky Bell -- I like this better than the Super Bell, for giving me an ability to transform into a statue. Still, I preferred flying than using my cat abilities, so it goes in the honorable mentions.

Mario - Top 5 Mario Power-ups 300px-FireFlowerMK8
    Fire Flower -- The classic Fire Flower was fun to use any time. I liked shooting fireballs into enemies and burning them, it never got old. But still, I prefer the power-ups in this list.

Well then, let's see the first place power-up!

Mario - Top 5 Mario Power-ups PoisonShroom

NUMBER ONE -- Poison Mushroom (The Lost Levels)

Poison Mushroom is such a great power-up. I'm not even kidding, while it gives you damage, it's still the best powerup. Thank you guys for watching this list and see you on the next talk. Bye.

Face Palm!  mad Toadette!  Facehoof

The Real First Place:

Anyways, thank you for voting on the polls and viewing this talk. We will return with another talk later on. Until then, goodbye.

Polls Polls Polls
    What was your favorite new power-up in 3D Land/World?
    Super Bell [ 1 ]
    Double Cherry [ 2 ]
    Lucky Bell [ 0 ]
    Boomerang Flower [ 0 ]
    Invincibility Leaf [ 0 ]
    Statue Leaf [ 1 ]
    They are all bad! [ 0 ]
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Winters Thief Zero Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:33 am

Aww and I missed a day too, I didn't get to vote on the poll. ;~; Mine was the Super Bell, it's also my favorite powerup in ANY Mario game. You really don't understand how great it is until you actually use it yourself. It's really intuitive and you feel powerful.

Also, I wasn't expecting the Mega Star, I forgot about that one. I prefer Tanooki Suit to the Cape Feather, but I guess both are pretty great.
    Gameguy1996
    Gameguy1996
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Post by Gameguy1996 Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:51 pm

The Mega Star and Mushroom are the same thing really and I guess the cap is good even if it was overpowered a bit.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am