The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

Unnecessary Sequels

Zero Revolution
Admin
Admin

Custom Title : Powered Up
Internet Browser : Mozilla Firefox

User Points : 2147483647
Favorite Nintendo Game? : Splatoon

Unnecessary Sequels

Post by Zero Revolution on Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:59 pm

What are some video game sequels you thought weren't necessary? (that doesn't necessarily mean they were a bad game, just not really needed)

Although the original is a pretty decent game, Dillon's Rolling Western really had no reason to have a sequel. I don't think it sold all that well to begin with, and they obviously weren't interested in being creative with the sequel as it seems to be VERY similar, so I don't know why they bothered.

And ever since it's announcement I've found Super Mario Galaxy 2 pointless. It was only a couple years since the original released, and the sequel didn't do much that wasn't already done in the first game. I still really like the game, but I think they could've waited and just made a new 3D Mario title instead.

And I've never actually played the game, but I don't see why Metroid II exists. From what it seems it's kind of a downgrade...

[16:15:57] PokeZone : Money is worthless to me.

[22:42:49] Luma Party : Night Luma

[22:02:34] SirFrozenFairy : Pillow Grandma turned into Punk Grandma?

[22:03:22] @ Luma Party : Punk Grandpa, her husband

Official Inkling Squid

Go check out TNFS Battle Badge in Forum Stuff!
Hex Maniac
Samus Aran
Samus Aran

User Points : 145

Re: Unnecessary Sequels

Post by Hex Maniac on Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:20 am

Umm... Ummm...

Tales of Xillia 2 and Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World.

Now while I enjoyed Xillia 2 far more than Xillia 1 I really felt it was an unnecessary sequel. The major reason being it didn't expand much upon what the first was about. Xillia 2 introduced the new main character Ludger but it really didn't follow up what the first told about the Great Spirits and Spyrix's so much. I just felt like the cast from Xillia 1 were there just along for the ride and if you removed them this game probably could've been something different and didn't need to be named "Tales of".

Then again, the stories in Tales of games are generally weak I feel and aren't all that original. And I don't pay much attention to them to be quite frank. I enjoy the character interactions far more...

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World is quite the same story as Xillia 1 and 2. It wasn't necessary. They only made it because of Symphonia's success. The sequal was really crappy too. That's saying A LOT. Trust me.
queenzelda
Lady Queen
Lady Queen

Custom Title : Trap Master of Light
Internet Browser : Google Chrome

User Points : 8143
Favorite Nintendo Game? : The Legend of Zelda & Pokemonz

Post by queenzelda on Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:27 am

Metroid the Other M; because why the story was already told & much better I might add via the gba. Razz

Also why was there a need for Tales of Xillia 1 & 2? Tales of Xillia is essentially just FFVII with a protagonist main character type from Lunar Silver Star Story. Lunar elements: the main female is a goddess & the guy who helps her out is basically Alex of Berg. FFVII elements: And then there's the whole shooting the cannon sub sequence which is the same thing done in FFVII, & a mad scientist like in FFVII. I wasn't impressed shall we say. -_-

Extra stuff:

One day soon I shall surpass you Luma, I the Queen of Zelda do declare it so!!
Nessness
Nessness Ness
Nessness Ness

Custom Title : Ness + Awesomeness = Nessness
User Points : 719

Post by Nessness on Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:37 am

I think all sequels can exist if the game itself is good- so I guess I have nothing to say here.
Luma Party
Link
Link

Custom Title : The Luma
User Points : 2765

Post by Luma Party on Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:24 am

@Zero Super Mario Galaxy 2, you're completely right.
The game wasn't nearly good story-wise, music-wise or gameplay-wise as the original, and it was only a few years after the original.

Last edited by Luma Party on Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total

Polar
Fox McCloud
Fox McCloud

User Points : 600
Favorite Nintendo Game? : Paper Mario

Post by Polar on Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:24 pm

I really don't like Jak 2 because instead of being a fun platformer like the first one it went down a 'Darker and Edgier' route that basically became a poor man's GTA. The game is difficult and the checkpoints are so sparse that it just isn't fun to play.
Dark Jester
Ness
Ness

Custom Title : Always a way!

User Points : 1604
Favorite Nintendo Game? : Pokemon: Black and White

Post by Dark Jester on Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:40 am

All the games beyond the first "Five Nights at Freddy's".

I know it's such an easy target for this and heck, even I know of and get curious about the story and lore to these games...

...but gameplay wise; these games don't cut it for me. I feel like the game has BARELY evolved from the first one, if these games were all just one big one I feel like people would complain of them being repetitive. 

I know the guy works hard on them and I'm not going to blame how quick they come out or how he's a one man indie dev team, as overall it's the thought and the innovation these games are lacking, but give credit where it's due... he has tried, there just isn't much you can do for this concept at once that first game nailed it and done it's semi-unique thing.

Fluffiness~ wrote:
I do think about cussing out insolent children at school but I never do because I am too busy trying to act like a perfect Asian student.

Dafuq did I just read?
Gameguy1996
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Internet Browser : Safari

User Points : 11416

Post by Gameguy1996 on Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:41 am

I think Mario vs. Donkey Kong Tipping Stars was unnecessary. It was pretty much a copy in past of the 3DS game and most people would have enjoyed the older style more. They could have also gone in a different duraction with the game as while.

Thanks Zero Smile

Spoiler:

Nozomi
Goomba
Goomba

User Points : 25

Post by Nozomi on Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:28 pm

This is pretty much subjective, because if I had to make a list of all the franchises that had sequels that made me want to punch my television screen we'd be here all day. Like I would say Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex and Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly but I really don't consider those "true" sequels because they weren't developed by Naughty Dog or Insomniac Games, respectively. Obviously the quality of the games went down because their original developers didn't make them.

I guess really the only sequel that I was really indifferent to was Super Mario Sunshine. I still really hate playing it because to me it's what brought Mario down a level. 64 was so great with platforming and exploration while Sunshine was so repetitive and had really annoying side quests. Those 240 Blue Coins could have went to 24 other Shine Sprites, enough for 3 other worlds with 8 Shines each. So yeah it was also pretty short imo.

EDIT: Just saw Polar's post about Jak 2, and I wholehearitely disagree. Even though the first game was really great and it reminded me a lot of Banjo-Kazooie (another great classic), Naughty Dog just wasn't ready for another light hearted series like Crash. They needed something more dramatic and gritty to make use of the PS2's hardware. I'm glad they went that direction, because you still have a lot of comedy and fun platforming sections while balancing it with a very satisfying action story.
TheFrozenFairy

Custom Title : Frigid Fairy of the Forest

User Points : 901
Favorite Nintendo Game? : The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Post by TheFrozenFairy on Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:03 am

Sequels I feel that are unnecessary are the New Super Mario Bros sequels. Sorry I've said it before but I got really bored trying to play the ones after the first 2, they just feel way to similar to each other. They're not bad games I just find the two latest sequels dull.

@Nozomi wrote:I guess really the only sequel that I was really indifferent to was Super Mario Sunshine. I still really hate playing it because to me it's what brought Mario down a level. 64 was so great with platforming and exploration while Sunshine was so repetitive and had really annoying side quests. Those 240 Blue Coins could have went to 24 other Shine Sprites, enough for 3 other worlds with 8 Shines each. So yeah it was also pretty short imo.

I agree that the blue coins were very annoying with Super Mario Sunshine. I always wished those Shine Sprites could have been used elsewhere. I disagree that it brought Mario down a level, I felt that the F.L.U.D.D mechanic was an interesting twist to the platforming gameplay that Mario 64 had, though I didn't like how it lacked certain abilities like long jumping, punching, and crouching which was disappointing. I really enjoyed the game regardless and still love Mario 64 as well but that's just my opinion. It does have it's flaws.

I also agree with Zero and Luma on Super Mario Galaxy 2, I like the game but even with Yoshi included I didn't feel like it was very necessary. The story was worse then the usual Mario story in my opinion. The sequel didn't really improve much.

Thank you Queen!

[21:48:28] @ Luma Party : I tried to ban Zero, but it didn't work

"So? A baseball has stitches! Are you saying all baseballs are suspicious because they have stitches!?" - Phoenix Wright

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:02 pm