The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

Meta-Knight's Top 10 RPGs

Frost-Knight
Pikachu
Pikachu

User Points : 126

Meta-Knight's Top 10 RPGs

Post by Frost-Knight on Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:17 pm

I'm going to start my blog with one of these lists. I absolutely love RPGs, so I think it may be interesting to make a list of my ten favourite ones. At the moment, at least. I'm known to change my mind a lot.
Also, I'll only list one game per series. Else, this list would be even less interesting.

Well, I'm not waiting for anything. Here's number 10.

#10:

Earthbound

While I do like Earthbound, it ends up in tenth place. The humour is a bit too weird, the gameplay didn't appeal to me in particular and overall it isn't my type of game. Even so, I think it's a great game and I enjoy playing it. The story is good, the music is nice and the graphics are fitting.
In the end I like the game, but I don't like it as much as I could. I enjoy its weirdness, but it's not my type of weirdness.

Admin
Admin

Custom Title : Powered Up
Internet Browser : Mozilla Firefox

User Points : 2147483647
Favorite Nintendo Game? : Splatoon

Re: Meta-Knight's Top 10 RPGs

Post by Winters Thief Zero on Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:27 pm

Should be interesting. :3

I never really played through the entirety of Earthbound, but from what I did play, it's quite a great one. Everybody seems to call it one of the best RPGs of all time, and even if it's on your list, seeing it at #10 is refreshing considering.

[16:15:57] PokeZone : Money is worthless to me.

[22:42:49] Luma Party : Night Luma

[22:02:34] SirFrozenFairy : Pillow Grandma turned into Punk Grandma?

[22:03:22] @ Luma Party : Punk Grandpa, her husband

Official Inkling Squid

Go check out TNFS Battle Badge in Forum Stuff!
queenzelda
Lady Queen
Lady Queen

Custom Title : Trap Master of Light
Internet Browser : Google Chrome

User Points : 8449
Favorite Nintendo Game? : The Legend of Zelda & Pokemonz

Post by queenzelda on Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:20 pm

Earthbound wouldn't be on my list at all. Impo; the game is just to weird & out there for my tastes. While every one else on the internet tends to think that it's the best RPG evar; I don't & tend to think it's a bit over-rated. Still I agree with what Zero said. "Seeing it at #10 is refreshing."

Extra stuff:

One day soon I shall surpass you Luma, I the Queen of Zelda do declare it so!!
Frost-Knight
Pikachu
Pikachu

Post by Frost-Knight on Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:11 pm

I understand why people call it great, it just never seemed that great to me. It's not Chrono Trigger or anything.

My phone hates me and I hate it back, because it kept crashing while I tried to write the ninth entry. Here's what I had the patience to write down, hopefully the next entry will be easier to write.

#9:

Pokémon Crystal Version

I had to put a Pokémon game on this list. Pokémon was one of the first series I got into, and probably was what got me into gaming. I spent about half of my childhood with Pokémon, and that was cool. I made friends at school because I played Pokémon, then was bullied for for 8 years. But still, it was all worth it.
I chose Pokémon Crystal as my favourite game in the series because it was the first one I got, played and beat. I was terrible at English back then, so I played through the beginning of the game quite a few times until I figured out how to save. Good times.

In the end, I loved the game and enjoyed almost every moment of it. These days, I dare not touch it because of all the memories it would bring back.
Honorable mention to Pokémon Yellow. I think that's the best Pokémon game, but Crystal is my favourite because it holds the greatest place in my heart.

Admin
Admin

Post by Winters Thief Zero on Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:21 pm

Well that took a turn. :p

I've never played Crystal myself, but Pokemon Gold is great, so I can see why it'd make the list, even if I'm not the biggest Pokemon fan personally.

Official Inkling Squid

Gameguy1996
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Internet Browser : Safari

User Points : 12406

Post by Gameguy1996 on Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:33 pm

Earthbound seemed more like an early indie game and nothing about the game was really not all that special. As for Crystal it's one of the better games since you get 2 games in one and Iwata played a big part in the game as while.

Thanks Zero Smile

Spoiler:

Frost-Knight
Pikachu
Pikachu

Post by Frost-Knight on Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:50 pm

The next one is a classic, it may be surprising that it's just eighth on the list.

#8:

Final Fantasy VI

This was the first Final Fantasy game I ever played, and to be honest, it confused me more than it interested me at first. I dropped it for a while, played through FFIV, then picked it up again, then able to recognize how great it really was. I enjoyed playing the game a lot - I loved the characters, the music, the graphics, the writing, the story and even the gameplay was kind of neat. The reason it ended up in eight place is because I don't find it as unique as some other people do (I did play this game in 2015, after all) and it doesn't have any nostalgia value to me. Also, it wouldn't be very fun if my list looked the same as everyone else's.

In the end, it's an amazing game which I have few complaints about. And it's #8.

Pikachu
Pikachu

Post by Frost-Knight on Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:31 pm

I'm double posting? That's not a good sign.

Time for the seventh game:

#7:

Golden Sun

A friend told me about this game, and soon after I started playing it, I realized I had missed out on a great GBA RPG. Golden Sun may not be the most unique of RPGs, it is in fact fairly similar to the typical RPG of its kind, which I don't really have anything against. The story is good enough, the graphics are neat, the characters have bland personalities but neat designs, the cutscenes are painfully slow and drawn out, the gameplay is pretty good and the soundtrack is amazing. The gameplay is something I especially like about this game - it feels smooth and natural, and Djinni were fun to use once you got the hang of it. The battle music being great helped too. Although it still bothers me that characters switch to "defend" instead of attacking another enemy if the enemy they were targeting died before they were able to attack.

It has some flaws but little that makes it stand out a lot, but overall I think it's a great and enjoyable game. The first game is my favourite, but I enjoy the gameplay in the second game more.

Admin
Admin

Post by Winters Thief Zero on Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:36 pm

Yay Golden Sun! I love that one, yet I never played through it in it's entirety. Now that you've reminded me, I'll probably do that.

Official Inkling Squid

queenzelda
Lady Queen
Lady Queen

Post by queenzelda on Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:54 pm

FFVI is soooooooooooo much better then Golden Sun… Impo. :p

Extra stuff:

Frost-Knight
Pikachu
Pikachu

Post by Frost-Knight on Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:14 pm

I don't consider myself a Final Fantasy person, but I consider FFVI a better game than Golden Sun. There's a reason it's such a classic.

Time for the sixth game, and it's one I really love. Makes me wonder why it's in sixth place.

#6:

The Last Story

I got this game early this year, and wow, few games have impressed me this much. Despite being a Wii game, the graphips look amazing - character models look a bit odd sometimes, but the environments and CGs make up for it. My only complaint is that it's not very colorful, like many "realistic" games. The soundtrack is good - not that memorable, and a lot of the time there's no music at all. But when music is used, it's used well. The story is a typical predictable RPG story, but I feel like it's somewhat of a deconstruction, which I like. I really loved the characters - some of them didn't get as much time in the spotlight as they deserved (because the somewhat boring main characters got most of the attention), but I thought what we did get was good. Maybe it's because the game has a fairly small cast. The amazing English voice acting helped a lot too, the dubbed voices are so great I haven't even bothered to listen to the Japanese ones.

However, my favourite part of this game is the gameplay. It doesn't play like a typical turn-based RPG, it feels more like a Zelda game with both stealth, shooter and real-time strategy thrown in. This makes combat more focused on what you actually do (and tell your allies to do) rather than your stats. Combat isn't just standing in one place and hacking away at your enemy until they die, you have to move around, find cover to hide behind, run to the closest healer, find a good spot to sneak attack and such. This makes the game feel somewhat like a cross between an Eastern and a Western RPG, which I love. Variety is great. What I don't like about the game is the awkward controls if you use Wiimote + Nunchuk, the low framerate which leads to lag (it's not that bad, but it happens often) and how there's no higher difficulty level than the standard.

Overall, it's one of my favourite Wii games and I love RPGs that are different yet still typical RPGs. But why did I put this game in sixth place again?

Lady Queen
Lady Queen

Post by queenzelda on Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:42 pm

Probably because it plays like a shooter & less like an RPG. (Impo)

Extra stuff:

Frost-Knight
Pikachu
Pikachu

Post by Frost-Knight on Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:55 pm

To me, it felt as much as a shooter at Zelda: Ocarina of Time does. But what do I know.

Time for number five, a game that stands out in this list. Maybe.

#5:

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Theis is the only western RPG on this list, I promise.
As my signature has made clear the last months, I've been playing Skyrim a lot recently. Like, a whole lot. 400 hours since around April. Keep in mind that I have no access to any console every other week. I feel no shame or regret.

I have many complains about Skyrim. They're as many as all the various bugs and glitches found in Skyrim. The controls are sometkmes awkward, the gameplay feels unrefined, the graphics could use a lot of work, gameplay mechanics are really lacking in some areas, combat still doesn't feel special, the game lacks in depth, the guilds were boring, radiant quests were mostly a bother, magic was lame, there are bugs everywhere, the game could have used a lot more work before release should even have been considered. Those are just a few of all my complaints.

Despite all my complaints, I genuinely love this game and there's a reason I put 400+ hours in it. I love the environments, some areas are stunningly beautiful and even some of the more boring areas look great to me. The soundtrack is beautiful - most songs aren't that memorable, but they usually fit what you're doing at the time and help making adventuring and exploring feel more interesting. I think the voice acting is great too, I can't think of any voice I didn't at least like. The main story was decent and I like most of the new lore, though most of the guilds' questlines weren't as good as I had hoped for. Exploring was great in this game, I still discover new things I didn't know about before and the variety in environment helps a lot. Unlike some others, I never get bored of snow. I don't think I've ever spent this many hours in any other RPG before, and that's saying something.

In the end, it's a game I have a lot of complaints about and can think of many ways to improve, even so, I love the game despite its many flaws.
Also, it has a Norse theme and that's awesome.

Lady Queen
Lady Queen

Post by queenzelda on Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:49 pm

Ha, Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Shooting Gallery. Razz Also, Skyrim? Really? Facehoof

Extra stuff:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:57 pm