The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

Are toys becoming too realistic?

Winters Thief Zero
Admin
Admin

Custom Title : Powered Up
Internet Browser : Mozilla Firefox

User Points : 2147483647
Favorite Nintendo Game? : Splatoon

Are toys becoming too realistic?

Post by Winters Thief Zero on Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:30 pm

So this is a thread I was going to make a few weeks ago that I forgot about, I just remembered it earlier today. My cousin's 4 year old daughter got a baby doll for Christmas, and it's supposed to be a collectible doll, but she apparently had been really wanting it for awhile. It's really realistic in the way it looks, specifically from behind. (the front isn't quite as lifelike) The thing is, the fact that it's so real looking makes it creepy. It actually scared me a couple of times, as she would move it and leave it around the house in weird places. I was laying on a couch and turned around to see it sitting backwards and it freaked me out because it looked so real.

For some reason she seems to think it's cute, it's definitely not cute. Razz TL;DR, my cousin's daughter got this realistic doll for Christmas and it's creepy as hell.

But anyway, do you think children's toys are becoming too realistic?

Normally being realistic shouldn't be a bad thing, but in the case of that doll it's way too creepy and I'd much prefer if she were playing with a cheap looking doll instead. But even outside of just being creepy, I feel like being too realistic leaves less to their imagination. I feel like kids should be making things up themselves.

I am fine with realistic toys existing, but I don't think they should be for kids really. Especially considering most are really expensive, and kids break things so easily.

[16:15:57] PokeZone : Money is worthless to me.

[22:42:49] Luma Party : Night Luma

[22:02:34] SirFrozenFairy : Pillow Grandma turned into Punk Grandma?

[22:03:22] @ Luma Party : Punk Grandpa, her husband

Official Inkling Squid

Go check out TNFS Battle Badge in Forum Stuff!
Marowak
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Custom Title : Mari
User Points : 2907
Favorite Nintendo Game? : Legend of Metroid Emblem Bros Story X/Y

Re: Are toys becoming too realistic?

Post by Marowak on Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:35 pm

I don't know if they're becoming too realistic and not are already, especially in regards to things like baby dolls that have always just been weirdly real looking for years, and being applied functions that real babies do. Really it's supposed to be a fun way for the child to play parent, or maybe some more sadistic things depending on the child. But really I don't think it's much of an issue at all if a toy actually looks real.

[9:38 PM] Deri Feri: Ace Gumshoe Incarnate: I wanna get drunk
queenzelda
Lady Queen
Lady Queen

Custom Title : Gengar Master
Internet Browser : Google Chrome

User Points : 8494
Favorite Nintendo Game? : The Legend of Zelda & Pokemonz

Post by queenzelda on Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:08 pm

I think it depends on the toy, cause not all toys do look very realistic. I've never really liked toys that looked close to the real thing & usually avoid getting them due to their creepy factor anyway. But in the end it depends on the kid & if the parent is ok with the kid having it.

The only toy I wanted when I was little was one of those Cabbage Patch dolls, & I never got one cause they were so expensive! Some of them do look kind of real now a days if you get the ones with the real hair, so maybe it depends on the manufacturer & if the toy becomes popular too.

Extra stuff:

One day soon I shall surpass you Luma, I the Queen of Zelda do declare it so!!
Bowser498
Pikachu
Pikachu

Custom Title : Bowser498: Super Mario (Modern) Video Game Expert/Pro
Internet Browser : Internet Explorer

User Points : 36
Favorite Nintendo Game? : Super Mario Maker and Splatoon!

Post by Bowser498 on Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:39 pm

Sometimes, realistic things can be a bit creepy lol

I'm still working on it lol Razz
Kyng
Ness
Ness

Internet Browser : Google Chrome

User Points : 1286

Post by Kyng on Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:03 pm

I don't actually know whether they're  becoming 'too realistic', because I haven't bought or looked at anything of the sort in over a decade Razz . 

However, if it's reached the point where it "looks creepy"....then it sounds very much like these toys have hit the 'uncanny valley' of trying to look realistic but not quite getting there: 

http://www.therobotreport.com/news/a-pragmatic-spin-on-the-uncanny-valley-theory

Certain animated movies that were almost-but-not-quite-realistic had the exact same problem. A lot of reviewers found the animations in The Polar Express to be creepy, for example.
Winters Thief Zero
Admin
Admin

Custom Title : Powered Up

User Points : 2147483647
Favorite Nintendo Game? : Splatoon

Post by Winters Thief Zero on Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:55 pm

^ Oh yeah, I'm really not a fan of the Polar Express movie. The "animation" is really off-putting. I mean, I don't necessarily find it creepy, but honestly being more realistic takes some of the fun out of it. Being that this is a gaming forum I'll use video games as an example, a realistic game may look more impressive technologically but a non-realistic game tends to look better, cooler, more interesting, and ages better.

But yeah some of these dolls and whatnot are creepy and I don't like being anywhere near them. Razz

[16:15:57] PokeZone : Money is worthless to me.

[22:42:49] Luma Party : Night Luma

[22:02:34] SirFrozenFairy : Pillow Grandma turned into Punk Grandma?

[22:03:22] @ Luma Party : Punk Grandpa, her husband

Official Inkling Squid

Go check out TNFS Battle Badge in Forum Stuff!
TheFrozenFairy

Custom Title : Frigid Fairy of the Forest

User Points : 978
Favorite Nintendo Game? : The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Post by TheFrozenFairy on Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:23 am

As long as they don't become like Chucky from Child's Play, I think we're fine.

Seriously though, I think creepy dolls are fine. They can add an eerie atmosphere to things. They can become more realistic if people want them too, although I doubt some children would want to play with something that would give them nightmares. Creepy realistic toys have their appeal. Toys that are realistic are fine.

Thank you Queen!

[21:48:28] @ Luma Party : I tried to ban Zero, but it didn't work

"So? A baseball has stitches! Are you saying all baseballs are suspicious because they have stitches!?" - Phoenix Wright
Gameguy1996
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Internet Browser : Safari

User Points : 12551

Post by Gameguy1996 on Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:01 am

Whatever the kids enjoy I guess. I thought the toys where too realistic when they came out with that talking Elmo that said worlds kids should not hear.

Thanks Zero Smile

Spoiler:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:58 pm