The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

The Nintendo Forum Site

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

My Rankings Paper Mario Star Spirit powers

Gameguy1996
    Gameguy1996
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Internet Browser : Safari

User Points : 12861

Mario - My Rankings Paper Mario Star Spirit powers Empty My Rankings Paper Mario Star Spirit powers

Post by Gameguy1996 Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:55 pm

So in the first 2 Paper Mario games you where able to do special moves that helped Mario in battles. Here are my rankings from least to most useful.

Mario - My Rankings Paper Mario Star Spirit powers Mamar_PM

Magmar could put enemies to sleep with her Lullaby. With that said it was only really useful when fighting Kent C. Koopa and early game enemies.
    TheFrozenFairy
    TheFrozenFairy

Custom Title : Frigid Fairy of the Forest
    Internet Browser : Mozilla Firefox

User Points : 993

Mario - My Rankings Paper Mario Star Spirit powers Empty Re: My Rankings Paper Mario Star Spirit powers

Post by TheFrozenFairy Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:45 pm

Very interesting list Gameguy! I disagree with Mamar having the least useful Star Spirit power. I find Lullaby incredibly useful throughout the game. It handles large groups of enemies greatly, especially Clubbas. It's a great option on anything that doesn't resist sleep. Sleep Stomp is the better option against most enemies and bosses that are alone and can be put to sleep though, Time Out is good too. Lullaby is definitely one of my favorite Star Spirit powers.

Personally I find Up Up and Away to be the least useful one, I only found it useful on my low level run where it helped greatly in Chapter 8.
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Custom Title : Powered Up

User Points : 2147483647
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Splatoon

Mario - My Rankings Paper Mario Star Spirit powers Empty Re: My Rankings Paper Mario Star Spirit powers

Post by Winters Thief Zero Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:05 pm

Personally I agree, to the point where I don't even think I actually USED lullaby throughout the entirety of the game any of the times I've played it. It just never sounded like a useful power compared to the others. Maybe I'm mistaken but I don't remember it at all.

EDIT: Actually I think there was one boss where I used it, that one where you use the sleepy sheep so you can attack him when he's sleeping (because otherwise you won't get much damage in and he'll kill you) and I used it instead of a sleepy sheep, but that's it.
    Gameguy1996
    Gameguy1996
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Post by Gameguy1996 Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:16 am

Mario - My Rankings Paper Mario Star Spirit powers Klevar_PM

Klevar pretty much works the same way as a Stop Watch. He is kind of useful though since he has a chance to work on bosses and he can get you out of a tight spot.
    Gameguy1996
    Gameguy1996
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Post by Gameguy1996 Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:48 am

Mario - My Rankings Paper Mario Star Spirit powers Kalmar_PM

Even though Up and Away seems useless it can be pretty useful if your backtracking for some badges or star pieces.
    Gameguy1996
    Gameguy1996
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Post by Gameguy1996 Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:57 pm

Mario - My Rankings Paper Mario Star Spirit powers Eldstar_PM

You might be thinking that Eldstar is useless after chapter 2. He can be pretty useful for the 5 HP though if your doing a low HP run or something.
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Custom Title : Powered Up

User Points : 2147483647
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Splatoon

Post by Winters Thief Zero Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:07 pm

Yeah I actually still used him throughout the entirety of the game even after getting the star power which heals 20 HP. Even if it doesn't sound like much 5 HP can be pretty helpful in some cases.
    Gameguy1996
    Gameguy1996
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Post by Gameguy1996 Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:14 am

Mario - My Rankings Paper Mario Star Spirit powers Misstar_PM

When it comes down to it Smooch is a pretty good power since it heals 20 HP. With that said it's pretty costly at 3 SP.
    Gameguy1996
    Gameguy1996
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Post by Gameguy1996 Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:18 pm

Mario - My Rankings Paper Mario Star Spirit powers Muskular_PM

Chill Out is a really useful star power since it lowers the bosses attack by 3 and it's a great deal for now 2 SP.

Mario - My Rankings Paper Mario Star Spirit powers Skolar_PM

Star Storm is the best star power since it will always do a clean 7 damage to every enemy on the field. It is even still useful in the late game unlike many of the other star powers.
    TheFrozenFairy
    TheFrozenFairy

Custom Title : Frigid Fairy of the Forest

User Points : 993

Post by TheFrozenFairy Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:55 am

I like the rankings. Some unique placements. I find Chill Out to be one of the best Star Spirit powers. It's able to effectively disable any enemy with an attack power of 3 or less and lessen damage with anything higher than that. Taking 3 less damage from every attack is very good. It certainly helps with 10 HP runs or similar challenge runs. Combining it with things like Defense Plus, D-Up P-Down, Fire Shield, and Last Stand, it's possible to completely block damage from Bowser's fire breath unboosted. It really helps with defense builds and strategies that I like to use in low HP related challenge runs and it's just as useful in regular playthroughs. Only Bowser can get rid of Chill Out's effect before it runs out so that makes Bowser one of the most threatening enemies.

Smooch is useful but I much prefer Refresh over it. The cost of 3 SP is fair and that 20 HP is very nice. The reason I prefer Refresh is that while the 5 HP and 5 FP may appear small, it is still good even at the end of the game. The 5 FP allows for you to carry more items that deal damage and cause other effects such as Shooting Stars and Stone Caps. I still carry healing items but I like to carry some more Thunder Rages and Snowman Dolls. I use Refresh to get some FP when I need it. The HP restoration is good too as it works nicely with the Pay-Off Badge.

Star Storm is also fantastic, a combination of that and something like Tidal Wave, Power Bomb, Mega Bomb, or Power Shell from a partner will eliminate just about any group of enemies in a single turn. The 7 damage is just sweet in general.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:39 am