The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

The Nintendo Forum Site

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Nintendo Will Pay You to Find 3DS Vulnerabilities

Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Custom Title : Powered Up
    Internet Browser : Mozilla Firefox

User Points : 2147483647
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Splatoon

Nintendo Will Pay You to Find 3DS Vulnerabilities  Empty Nintendo Will Pay You to Find 3DS Vulnerabilities

Post by Winters Thief Zero Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:42 pm

Well this is quite an interesting story! Nintendo plans to PAY you for finding vulnerabilities on the 3DS!

Nintendo will pay rewards to the first reporter of qualifying vulnerability information ranging from $100 USD to $20,000 USD. Only one reward per qualifying piece of vulnerability information will be awarded. Nintendo will determine at its discretion whether the vulnerability information qualifies for a reward as well as the amount of any such reward. Nintendo does not disclose how the reward amount is calculated. Vulnerability information that is already known to Nintendo or the public, for example, does not qualify for a reward. Rewards will not be issued to individuals who are on sanction lists, or who are in countries on sanction lists.

The reward amount depends on the importance of the information and the quality of the report. In general, the importance of the information is higher if the vulnerability is severe, easy-to-exploit, etc.

A report is evaluated to be high quality if you show that the vulnerability is exploitable by providing a proof of concept (functional exploit code is even better). If you don’t yet have a proof of concept, or functional exploit code, we still encourage you to report to us sooner rather than later such that you do not to lose the opportunity to become the first reporter; you can then submit a proof of concept or functional exploit code later (within three (3) weeks of the initial report) and it will be considered to be a part of the report.

The reward will be paid after the reported vulnerability has been fixed by Nintendo, but no later than four (4) months after Nintendo has confirmed the reported vulnerability.

Nintendo will not disclose to the public the amount of any reward distributed by Nintendo.

This is a pretty weird semi-turn-around for Nintendo. But it is a pretty good way to tie up those loose ends there and make sort of a compromise.
    Polar
    Polar
    Fox McCloud
    Fox McCloud

Internet Browser : Google Chrome

User Points : 611
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Paper Mario

Nintendo Will Pay You to Find 3DS Vulnerabilities  Empty Re: Nintendo Will Pay You to Find 3DS Vulnerabilities

Post by Polar Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:52 am

i need to find ways to break my 3ds.
    queenzelda
    queenzelda
    Lady Queen
    Lady Queen

Custom Title : Gengar Master

User Points : 8540
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : The Legend of Zelda & Pokemonz

Nintendo Will Pay You to Find 3DS Vulnerabilities  Empty Re: Nintendo Will Pay You to Find 3DS Vulnerabilities

Post by queenzelda Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:21 pm

My old 3DS is broke, maybe I should just ship it to them? It'll turn on but won't stay on & will flash off instantly after it's turned on. I wonder if they'll pay me for it. :p
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Custom Title : Powered Up
    Internet Browser : Mozilla Firefox

User Points : 2147483647
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Splatoon

Post by Winters Thief Zero Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:26 pm

^ You might be having a problem with the battery. I had essentially the same issue and got a new battery for mine and it now works just fine. (of course I don't know for sure though)
    queenzelda
    queenzelda
    Lady Queen
    Lady Queen

Custom Title : Gengar Master

User Points : 8540
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : The Legend of Zelda & Pokemonz

Post by queenzelda Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:47 pm

It's not the battery since I've replaced it. I got the Nyko batter pack upgrade for a longer charge & it still does that. Jing thinks it's the cable leading to the top screen that's apparently a problem with most older (smaller) 3DS's.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:56 pm