The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

The Nintendo Forum Site

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

The team behind the Super Mario Bros, Super Show was originally going to make an animated Mario movie

Gameguy1996
    Gameguy1996
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Internet Browser : Safari

User Points : 12861

The team behind the Super Mario Bros, Super Show was originally going to make an animated Mario movie Empty The team behind the Super Mario Bros, Super Show was originally going to make an animated Mario movie

Post by Gameguy1996 Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:50 pm

Seems like the Super Mario Bros, Super Show almost got a movie.

Back in the olden days of 1993, Super Mario Bros the Movie was released in cinemas. Based on the series of the name and starring Bob Hoskins and John Leguizamo as Mario and Luigi respectively, it was one of the first major video game movies of the time.
    And as basically everyone online knows, it was also a notoriously bad adaptation of the series too. Mario and Luigi looked somewhat like they do in the games yes, but Bowser was a human called King Koopa, Goombas were 7-foot-tall monstrosities with tiny heads, Daisy was the princess and the whole thing took place in an alternate universe called Dinohatten where dinosaurs had evolved in human like forms after being driven from Earth via the meteorite impact. It was a weird affair all round, and one that was appreciated by neither critics nor audiences, with its failure quickly putting its bizarre take on the Mario franchise to rest.
    However, it seems the infamous Bob Hoskins version wasn’t the only Western Mario deal that was in production during the franchise’s history. Oh no, as Mario Wiki posted on Twitter, DiC had the rights for an animated movie at one point in time too!

Source

I feel like this would have been a better pick for a Mario movie back then due to the cartoon at least staying closer to the Mario characters. Also kind of funny how this story turns up after we learn a new Mario movie is in the works.
    TheFrozenFairy
    TheFrozenFairy

Custom Title : Frigid Fairy of the Forest
    Internet Browser : Mozilla Firefox

User Points : 993

The team behind the Super Mario Bros, Super Show was originally going to make an animated Mario movie Empty Re: The team behind the Super Mario Bros, Super Show was originally going to make an animated Mario movie

Post by TheFrozenFairy Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:37 pm

Aw, too bad we didn't get that along with the notorious live action film. The DiC cartoons were of a peculiar, so bad it's good quality. A movie would have been interesting, to the say the least. I wonder what caused them to not go through with producing the movie.
    queenzelda
    queenzelda
    Lady Queen
    Lady Queen

Custom Title : Gengar Master
    Internet Browser : Google Chrome

User Points : 8540
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : The Legend of Zelda & Pokemonz

The team behind the Super Mario Bros, Super Show was originally going to make an animated Mario movie Empty Re: The team behind the Super Mario Bros, Super Show was originally going to make an animated Mario movie

Post by queenzelda Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:11 pm

I think that maybe the movie fell though is because DiC was in truth a part of the Disney company. I didn't find this out for a very long time until I did a bit of digging. I think that maybe at the time Nintendo might not have wanted a smaller Disney animation studio to animate their show for a movie. Idk if this is true or not, but with Warner Brothers releasing the live action version, maybe they wanted the WB to animate it but they decided to do a live action move instead & in the end is what we ended up getting.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:09 pm