The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

Nostalgic gaming goggles or media goggles?

queenzelda
Lady Queen
Lady Queen

Custom Title : Gengar Master
Internet Browser : Google Chrome

User Points : 8494
Favorite Nintendo Game? : The Legend of Zelda & Pokemonz

Nostalgic gaming goggles or media goggles?

Post by queenzelda on Tue May 07, 2013 9:35 pm

Why do an 'editorial' about this subject? Because I can. Razz I have a lot to say about this subject in general because weather we like it or not the reason that we all look back fondly on the old days of gaming is a call back to the way things 'used to be'. 'Oh come on.' I hear you thinking; 'But that's so meta to think that way!' "Well.." I ask; "Is it?" Is it nostalgic that we want gaming to go back to the way it used to be because the consoles lasted us longer? The games were longer, didn't hold our hands while gaming, and well were outright just better done that what we have now?

I think it's some of the above; yet none of the above as I think it all has to do with the source of our media googles. Now wait a minute; give me a moment to explain what I'm thinking here. I think for one we all miss the non hand holding experiences we got from the old days of gaming. Now a days every game on this earth has some sort of tutorial walking you through how to play said game like your a 2 year old.

Everything else; is just visuals otherwise; and gameplay mechanics.. If anything I think the nostalgia that all of us miss is the nostalgia media goggles of back when we had no idea of what games were releasing next and the excitement of when the game did release. Back when gaming was young there was no such thing as twitter, facebook or any other kind of social media as the internet had yet to be brought to the masses back in the day. So anything released by gaming companies was more like a big surprise for the consumer otherwise.

But with facebook, twitter and other social media sites gaming news is usually ALWAYS leaked some how or another and then it just becomes knowledge for a while; it's hyped some and then interest for one title or another dies off for the title until it releases. Back in the day before the internets; all gamers had to rely on for their gaming news was their gaming magazine of choice.

Now a days gaming media has expanded and exploded giving consumers news about every fart a gaming company lets; shall we say. If anything I think that nostalgia about gaming is all about how we got our information about up coming games then anything. Because as they say; "Too much of a good thing, can be bad." So could the insurgence of too much information about a game way before it's released by any insert gaming company here.

Want a good example? Take Legend of Zelda 3DS game that is taking place during A Link to the Past era. Most every one and their mother online is thinking it's a re-imagining of Link to the Past on the 3DS; when it's NOT. It's just a new Zelda title done during the Link to the Past era; yet some see it as an out right re-imagining of the same said title. -_-

Thus too much information leads to one of too instances; misinformation given out by others or misunderstandings from the company itself about said title soon to release. For a while there was a lot of buzz about this title.. But do you read any more buzz about about it? Other then seeing maybe a youtube or downloaded 3DS trailer? No. This title probably won't be brought up again by any one until the company does so with more information about it.. Unless information is leaked some how of course.

But; had the project 3DS Zelda title been released for say the SNES back in the day of no youtube, twitter or internet the ONLY way to know it was releasing was if you either were close friends with a game store owner and could look at their title releasing list; or have read insert gaming magazine here.

Thus I often wonder if our nostalgia goggles are confused about 'gaming being more awesome' is because we had less information about insert game now then back in the days of no internet.

Last edited by queenzelda on Thu May 09, 2013 2:20 am; edited 1 time in total

Extra stuff:

One day soon I shall surpass you Luma, I the Queen of Zelda do declare it so!!
Winters Thief Zero
Admin
Admin

Custom Title : Powered Up
Internet Browser : Mozilla Firefox

User Points : 2147483647
Favorite Nintendo Game? : Splatoon

Re: Nostalgic gaming goggles or media goggles?

Post by Winters Thief Zero on Tue May 07, 2013 9:47 pm

I was a bit confused about what exactly you meant by 'goggles', but this was overall a good article. I actually agree, there was much less information on these games previously...that's why I try to see as little as possible, you may have noticed Gameguy (or someone else, it's just usually him who posts trailers and such) and me saying I'm not going to watch it to not reveal too much information about the game, so it would be more new. Another example of that confusion thing where you mentioned Zelda 3DS is the Wii U, where people have thought it's simply a new add-on to the original Wii.

Also, there are a few typos in your post you may want to fix. (unless you want me to fix them for you Razz)

[16:15:57] PokeZone : Money is worthless to me.

[22:42:49] Luma Party : Night Luma

[22:02:34] SirFrozenFairy : Pillow Grandma turned into Punk Grandma?

[22:03:22] @ Luma Party : Punk Grandpa, her husband

Official Inkling Squid

Go check out TNFS Battle Badge in Forum Stuff!
queenzelda
Lady Queen
Lady Queen

Custom Title : Gengar Master
Internet Browser : Google Chrome

User Points : 8494
Favorite Nintendo Game? : The Legend of Zelda & Pokemonz

Post by queenzelda on Tue May 07, 2013 9:57 pm

Uh what typo's? I don't see them. Also thanks & nostalgia goggles means the way we tend to see things now a days from the past kind of thing.

Also I was speaking about the upcoming Zelda title that is going to be released to the 3DS that is taking place during the Link to the Past era which is a different story and game play mechanics. ;3

As to the Wii U Zelda titles; there are 2 classic Zelda titles getting released to the Wii U VC: Oracles & Seasons. Wind Waker is getting remade completely into HD & another title is in the making outside of Wind Waker for release to the Wii U; but I digress. ;3

Extra stuff:

One day soon I shall surpass you Luma, I the Queen of Zelda do declare it so!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:11 pm