The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

The Nintendo Forum Site

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Aliens Almost Definitely Exist According to SETI

Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Custom Title : Powered Up
    Internet Browser : Mozilla Firefox

User Points : 2147483647
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Splatoon

Aliens Almost Definitely Exist According to SETI Empty Aliens Almost Definitely Exist According to SETI

Post by Winters Thief Zero Thu May 22, 2014 9:37 pm

I saw this earlier and thought it was really interesting. Apparently, extra terrestrial beings have nearly a 100% chance of existing according to the SETI (Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence) research center. But I'll just post the whole article about it since it's really short:

Huffington Post wrote:

Aliens almost definitely exist.

At least, that's what two astronomers told Congress this week, as they appealed for continued funding to research life beyond Earth.

According to ABC News, Dan Werthimer, director of the SETI [search for extraterrestrial intelligence] Research Center at the University of California, Berkeley, told the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology Wednesday that the possibility of extraterrestrial microbial life is "close to 100 percent."

"In the last 50 years, evidence has steadily mounted that the components and conditions we believe necessary for life are common and perhaps ubiquitous in our galaxy," said Werthimer in his written testimony, adding: "The possibility that life has arisen elsewhere, and perhaps evolved intelligence, is plausible and warrants scientific inquiry."

Werthimer's colleague Seth Shostak, a senior astronomer at the SETI Institute, also told Congress that he believes our chances of finding extraterrestrial life are high.

“The chances of finding it I think are good and if that happens it will happen in the next 20 years depending on the financing,” Shostak told the committee. (Watch the full hearing here.)

This isn't the first time in recent months that Congress has held a hearing on aliens. In December, the Science House Committee held a two-hour hearing about the ongoing search for extraterrestrial life. The Wire said at the time that the hearing was the "best thing Congress [had] done in months."

I've honestly always believed aliens existed. But it's interesting to know that they have such a high change of actually existing, there's almost no way that they DON'T exist according to this research. Although I do kind of doubt we'll ever make contact with them anytime soon. Razz
    Gameguy1996
    Gameguy1996
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Internet Browser : Safari

User Points : 12861

Aliens Almost Definitely Exist According to SETI Empty Re: Aliens Almost Definitely Exist According to SETI

Post by Gameguy1996 Thu May 22, 2014 11:11 pm

I hope ET shows up one day. It's a wait and see thing for me though since the SETI could be pulling a joke.
    commanderedgeworth
    commanderedgeworth
    Deku
    Deku

User Points : 189

Aliens Almost Definitely Exist According to SETI Empty Re: Aliens Almost Definitely Exist According to SETI

Post by commanderedgeworth Sat May 24, 2014 1:09 pm

I played XCOM the other day and I can tell you straight from high command that threat has been dealt with.
    Kyng
    Kyng
    Ness
    Ness

Internet Browser : Google Chrome

User Points : 1295

Post by Kyng Sat May 24, 2014 9:44 pm

Well, they're saying that microbes almost certainly exist somewhere else, which doesn't surprise me all that much. But, what about life that's intelligent and advanced enough to communicate with us?
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Custom Title : Powered Up
    Internet Browser : Mozilla Firefox

User Points : 2147483647
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Splatoon

Post by Winters Thief Zero Sat May 24, 2014 9:51 pm

^ That's true. I do feel that if we were to find out for sure the existence of aliens, they would either be not nearly intelligent enough for us to communicate, or far more intelligent than us to where we also still wouldn't be able to communicate with them due to them having some kind of really advanced way of communication. Razz XD But I guess it would just depend.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:27 pm