The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

The Nintendo Forum Site

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Ranking the 2D Zelda Games

Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Custom Title : Powered Up
    Internet Browser : Mozilla Firefox

User Points : 2147483647
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Splatoon

Ranking the 2D Zelda Games - Page 2 Empty Re: Ranking the 2D Zelda Games

Post by Winters Thief Zero Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:02 am

I called it, now, I know Link's Awakening is your favorite Zelda game, so I guess A Link to the Past is #2, and Link's Awakening will of course be #1 being that it's your favorite. (mine is A Link to the Past)

They may have released late in the Game Boy Color's lifespan, but at least the GBA still wasn't out yet, so it's not that bad.
    Gameguy1996
    Gameguy1996
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Internet Browser : Safari

User Points : 12861

Post by Gameguy1996 Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:59 pm

Link's Awakening has this one in the bag even though I enjoyed a Link to the Past more.
    Nessness
    Nessness
    Nessness Ness
    Nessness Ness

Custom Title : Ness + Awesomeness = Nessness
    User Points : 732

Post by Nessness Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:54 am

Final Day

Which game should win the FIRST PLACE?
    Link to the Past [ 2 ]
    Awakening [ 1 ]

Ranking the 2D Zelda Games - Page 2 The_Legend_of_Zelda_A_Link_to_the_Past_SNES_Game_Cover
    #2: A Link to the Past

After making success with Zelda 1 and Zelda 2 for the NES, it was time for Zelda to advance to the 16-bit consoles. The developers had to think hard in order to make this game great. They would have to use the capabilities of the Super Nintendo, and they had to improve the gameplay further, considering that Zelda 1 already had a great gameplay, and Zelda 2 was pretty nice for the time then. Everybody had high expectations for the new Zelda game. And it turned out to be a masterpiece!

A Link to the Past is one of the best 16-bit games ever. This game established the formula for the future Zelda games, much like the magic meter, having a detailed storyline, and having more variety of items. It is amazing how most of the formula for 2D Zelda games were estabilished in this game, considering most of the series tweak the formula game after game. Zelda games didn't really switch the formula, though.

I also loved the overworld in this game. There is so much to do, and it helps because there are many hidden locations, secrets, sidequests, and minigames to do. The locations were pretty unique for the time then. But the best of all was getting to explore on a pararrel world. The game had two worlds- the Light World and the Dark World. It was nice to see how the locations were changed in the parrarel worlds.

The only flaw I found in this game is that Link's hair is pink (Yes, I care things about that, lol), and the sword was sometimes too short to strike enemies. Other than that, it is amazing. It is probably one of the best SNES action games, and it is in the same league with Super Metroid, Equinox, and The Legend of the Mystical Ninja.

Ranking the 2D Zelda Games - Page 2 250px-Links_Awakening_box
    NUMBER 1: Link's Awakening

Some of you might wonder why I chose Link's Awakening as the 1st Place Spot when A Link to the Past was a much bigger game. And overall, Link to the Past was 16-bit, while this was 8-bit. However, Link's Awakening has so much charm that nullifies those things.

The gameplay is perfect. While it keeps the precise action from A Link to the Past, the sword is longer this time, so you would probably have no problems striking your enemies. The dungeons are always nice as usual.

But what I like about Link's Awakening the most is that it is UNIQUE. You could actually carry a Chain Chomp to chew up the flowers. You don't have Zelda in this game. But you can actually date along this game's heroine, Marine. You have a village with full of talking animals. Princess Peach, Wart, Yoshi, and other Nintendo Characters actually have cameo appearances in this game. This game also had the Roc's feather, which you could use to jump around. (It was also in the Oracle games, BTW) And you could actually steal items from this game! I don't recommend it, though..

I also love the characters in Link's Awakening. The Owl is awesome, it tries to help Link as much as he can. Plus, he has an amazing theme music. (Keep it mind that I usually don't comment about music in my Talks!) Marin is a great heroine, you can take her and she actually has some feelings that she would say "Link, you're a bad boy!" when you try to hurt to Cuckos! Tarin was a pretty random guy, but I still like how he was based on Mario. The photographer (Only on DX version) was funny that he beat up Link if he refused to take a picture. But the best is the Shop Owner. He could kill you if you stole items from him! I also liked how all of the bosses actually have dialouges in this game.

Overall, while the gameplay is the most important part of these games, having extra charm is great when you've already got a great gameplay. That makes Link's Awakening my favorite Zelda game. It was amazing that there could be a great masterpiece in a small tiny 8-bit Console.

NEXT
    Super Nintendo Music Box!
    In the next talk, I will showcase the music from SNES games that I like the most. This talk would be shorter than most of the talks I did.

My Favorite Pokemon
    I will showcase my favorite Pokemon for each type. This talk is going to be a little bit shorter than most of my talks.

Last edited by Ness and Lucas on Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Winters Thief Zero Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:18 pm

Link's hair is pink, in what way is that a flaw? Razz A Link to the Past is still #1 in my book. (out of the games listed)
    Nessness
    Nessness
    Nessness Ness
    Nessness Ness

Custom Title : Ness + Awesomeness = Nessness
    User Points : 732

Post by Nessness Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:34 am

Zero Revolution wrote:Link's hair is pink, in what way is that a flaw? Razz A Link to the Past is still #1 in my book. (out of the games listed)
    Perhaps it is because I am used to Blonde Link, lol.
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Winters Thief Zero Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:20 am

Well, it was released before his hair was blonde. And in Twilight Princess it's brown, which annoyed me, so I guess I can kind of see where you're coming from. But considering it released before the games where his hair color was really defined, it doesn't really matter imo.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 6:27 pm