The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

The Nintendo Forum Site

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
queenzelda
Marowak
Winters Thief Zero
7 posters

Are toys becoming too realistic?

Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Custom Title : Powered Up
    Internet Browser : Mozilla Firefox

User Points : 2147483647
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Splatoon

Are toys becoming too realistic? Empty Are toys becoming too realistic?

Post by Winters Thief Zero Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:30 pm

So this is a thread I was going to make a few weeks ago that I forgot about, I just remembered it earlier today. My cousin's 4 year old daughter got a baby doll for Christmas, and it's supposed to be a collectible doll, but she apparently had been really wanting it for awhile. It's really realistic in the way it looks, specifically from behind. (the front isn't quite as lifelike) The thing is, the fact that it's so real looking makes it creepy. It actually scared me a couple of times, as she would move it and leave it around the house in weird places. I was laying on a couch and turned around to see it sitting backwards and it freaked me out because it looked so real.

For some reason she seems to think it's cute, it's definitely not cute. Razz TL;DR, my cousin's daughter got this realistic doll for Christmas and it's creepy as hell.

But anyway, do you think children's toys are becoming too realistic?

Normally being realistic shouldn't be a bad thing, but in the case of that doll it's way too creepy and I'd much prefer if she were playing with a cheap looking doll instead. But even outside of just being creepy, I feel like being too realistic leaves less to their imagination. I feel like kids should be making things up themselves.

I am fine with realistic toys existing, but I don't think they should be for kids really. Especially considering most are really expensive, and kids break things so easily.
    Marowak
    Marowak
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Custom Title : Mari
    User Points : 2927
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Legend of Metroid Emblem Bros Story X/Y

Are toys becoming too realistic? Empty Re: Are toys becoming too realistic?

Post by Marowak Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:35 pm

I don't know if they're becoming too realistic and not are already, especially in regards to things like baby dolls that have always just been weirdly real looking for years, and being applied functions that real babies do. Really it's supposed to be a fun way for the child to play parent, or maybe some more sadistic things depending on the child. But really I don't think it's much of an issue at all if a toy actually looks real.
    queenzelda
    queenzelda
    Lady Queen
    Lady Queen

Custom Title : Gengar Master
    Internet Browser : Google Chrome

User Points : 8540
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : The Legend of Zelda & Pokemonz

Post by queenzelda Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:08 pm

I think it depends on the toy, cause not all toys do look very realistic. I've never really liked toys that looked close to the real thing & usually avoid getting them due to their creepy factor anyway. But in the end it depends on the kid & if the parent is ok with the kid having it.

The only toy I wanted when I was little was one of those Cabbage Patch dolls, & I never got one cause they were so expensive! Some of them do look kind of real now a days if you get the ones with the real hair, so maybe it depends on the manufacturer & if the toy becomes popular too.
    Bowser498
    Bowser498
    Pikachu
    Pikachu

Custom Title : Bowser498: Super Mario (Modern) Video Game Expert/Pro
    Internet Browser : Internet Explorer

User Points : 36
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Super Mario Maker and Splatoon!

Post by Bowser498 Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:39 pm

Sometimes, realistic things can be a bit creepy lol
    Kyng
    Kyng
    Ness
    Ness

Internet Browser : Google Chrome

User Points : 1295

Post by Kyng Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:03 pm

I don't actually know whether they're  becoming 'too realistic', because I haven't bought or looked at anything of the sort in over a decade Razz . 

However, if it's reached the point where it "looks creepy"....then it sounds very much like these toys have hit the 'uncanny valley' of trying to look realistic but not quite getting there: 

http://www.therobotreport.com/news/a-pragmatic-spin-on-the-uncanny-valley-theory

Certain animated movies that were almost-but-not-quite-realistic had the exact same problem. A lot of reviewers found the animations in The Polar Express to be creepy, for example.
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Custom Title : Powered Up

User Points : 2147483647
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Splatoon

Post by Winters Thief Zero Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:55 pm

^ Oh yeah, I'm really not a fan of the Polar Express movie. The "animation" is really off-putting. I mean, I don't necessarily find it creepy, but honestly being more realistic takes some of the fun out of it. Being that this is a gaming forum I'll use video games as an example, a realistic game may look more impressive technologically but a non-realistic game tends to look better, cooler, more interesting, and ages better.

But yeah some of these dolls and whatnot are creepy and I don't like being anywhere near them. Razz
    TheFrozenFairy
    TheFrozenFairy

Custom Title : Frigid Fairy of the Forest

User Points : 993

Post by TheFrozenFairy Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:23 am

As long as they don't become like Chucky from Child's Play, I think we're fine.

Seriously though, I think creepy dolls are fine. They can add an eerie atmosphere to things. They can become more realistic if people want them too, although I doubt some children would want to play with something that would give them nightmares. Creepy realistic toys have their appeal. Toys that are realistic are fine.
    Gameguy1996
    Gameguy1996
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Internet Browser : Safari

User Points : 12861

Post by Gameguy1996 Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:01 am

Whatever the kids enjoy I guess. I thought the toys where too realistic when they came out with that talking Elmo that said worlds kids should not hear.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:41 am