The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

The Nintendo Forum Site

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
Winters Thief Zero
Marowak
queenzelda
7 posters

Is dlc getting ridiculous in gaming?

queenzelda
    queenzelda
    Lady Queen
    Lady Queen

Custom Title : Gengar Master
    Internet Browser : Google Chrome

User Points : 8540
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : The Legend of Zelda & Pokemonz

Is dlc getting ridiculous in gaming? Empty Is dlc getting ridiculous in gaming?

Post by queenzelda Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:08 pm

I remember when once upon a time you could purchase a game & it was complete with no dlc downloads. But now a days most games are expected to have dlc content. It's getting to the point that I'm half expecting when the next Pokemon game will release with dlc Pokemon content: because it's 'supposed to'. Still I (personally) hope not cause all of this dlc nonsense is just ridiculous & it's starting to be everywhere I'd least expect it.

So.. What do you think, is dlc content getting more & more ridiculous?

Last edited by Queen Glitter Fairy on Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
    Marowak
    Marowak
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Custom Title : Mari
    User Points : 2927
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Legend of Metroid Emblem Bros Story X/Y

Is dlc getting ridiculous in gaming? Empty Re: Is dlc getting ridiculous in gaming?

Post by Marowak Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:39 pm

Eh, it's different for most cases, so I can't really just give a straight answer toward how all DLC is. Though I guess I'll just say it depends on how they do it, for the most part I tend to not mind as long as we're given plenty of content in the item, but the reverse can upset me. But then when it's something they've already finished have ready and is planned for DLC still, that can also be annoying. Though usually I don't have a problem with there being DLC available if there's still a full game experience beforehand. Really my main mindset is if I can fully enjoy without the need of DLC and enjoy more with DLC then it's no problem for me.
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Custom Title : Powered Up
    Internet Browser : Mozilla Firefox

User Points : 2147483647
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Splatoon

Is dlc getting ridiculous in gaming? Empty Re: Is dlc getting ridiculous in gaming?

Post by Winters Thief Zero Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:30 pm

For me it really depends on the game and the way said DLC is released. (including pricing) If the game is released as a full game, and truly feels as though the experience was complete, having them announce and add DLC later on doesn't bother me. I also don't mind if the DLC were released later in the initial release country and is released earlier for the localized versions. And I'm definitely fine with a game having free DLC.

However, releasing a game that is clearly not complete as some companies tend to do, then forcing you to pay money for content that should've been in the game to begin with is insane. I'm not going to pay money to buy content that I really already paid for by buying the game to begin with. It's not as big of a deal if it's free and hasn't been created yet, although it always tends to annoy me as I'd rather them just delay the game if it's not finished. (or at the very least not in a fully playable state)

But honestly overall I feel all companies as of late have indeed been getting more ridiculous with DLC so I'd fully agree with @Queen Glitter Fairy. All DLC tends to be overpriced or content that should've been included from the beginning at this point in time. There are a couple companies that still do pretty well overall, I personally think a good majority of Nintendo's DLC has been very fairly priced and the content itself has been great and really feels like it's just a new addition to the full game. (outside of Smash lol)

But it's not like DLC hasn't always been around in some form or another anyway, we've had expansion packs for the longest time.
    Gameguy1996
    Gameguy1996
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Internet Browser : Safari

User Points : 12861

Post by Gameguy1996 Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:32 pm

Cubone wrote:Eh, it's different for most cases, so I can't really just give a straight answer toward how all DLC is. Though I guess I'll just say it depends on how they do it, for the most part I tend to not mind as long as we're given plenty of content in the item, but the reverse can upset me. But then when it's something they've already finished have ready and is planned for DLC still, that can also be annoying. Though usually I don't have a problem with there being DLC available if there's still a full game experience beforehand. Really my main mindset is if I can fully enjoy without the need of DLC and enjoy more with DLC then it's no problem for me.
    Pretty much this. I feel like DLC is fine if they start making it after the main game comes out or if they give free updates due to the game being rushed. Sadly EA and a few other big names do day 1 DLC since people keep buying it.
    Kyng
    Kyng
    Ness
    Ness

Internet Browser : Google Chrome

User Points : 1295

Post by Kyng Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:52 pm

I don't mind it, as long as the additional content truly is "additional", and the game still works as a complete game without it. For example, I'd have a real problem with a story-driven game that hides the ending behind a DLC paywall; I've never encountered that myself, but I bet it's happened. 

(Of course, if you think DLC is a problem in and of itself, regardless of whether the game feels complete without it, the solution is to vote with your wallet and not buy any of the DLC Razz )
    Bowser498
    Bowser498
    Pikachu
    Pikachu

Custom Title : Bowser498: Super Mario (Modern) Video Game Expert/Pro
    Internet Browser : Internet Explorer

User Points : 36
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Super Mario Maker and Splatoon!

Post by Bowser498 Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:28 pm

In terms of money, it can be a bit ridiculous.
    Yoshiman222
    Yoshiman222
    Samus Aran
    Samus Aran

User Points : 307

Post by Yoshiman222 Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:56 pm

So long as paid DLC isn't required to play things in the game that's okay. Bad example of this was actually Halo 3 on the Xbox360 because when I remember that game from who knows long ago I last played it, you required ALL the DLC to play online with random players, excluding a few basic modes.

Thankfully, Nintendo's been good with the DLC - making it completely optional if you want, only stopping you from access stuff that has the DLC only and providing good enough non-DLC options for those who can't.

Basically, so long as it's just "additional" stuff to the game that's perfectly fine with me. It's cool to be able to access new things they decided to add to a game after release.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 5:12 pm