The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

The Nintendo Forum Site

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Wii Shop Channel Closing in 2019

Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Custom Title : Powered Up
    Internet Browser : Mozilla Firefox

User Points : 2147483647
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Splatoon

Wii Shop Channel Closing in 2019 Empty Wii Shop Channel Closing in 2019

Post by Winters Thief Zero Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:46 pm

Nintendo has announced that the Wii Shop Channel will be officially closing in January 2019. You will be able to add Wii Points to your account until March 2018, then the entire store closes in 2019, including purchasing new content or even redownloading previously downloaded content.

On January 30, 2019, we plan to close the Wii Shop Channel, which has been available on Wii systems since December 2006. We sincerely thank our loyal customers for their support.

You can still add Wii Points until March 26, 2018, and purchase content on the Wii Shop Channel until January 30, 2019. In the future, we will be closing all services related to the Wii Shop Channel, including redownloading purchased WiiWare, Virtual Console titles, and Wii Channel, as well as Wii System Transfer Tool, which transfers data from Wii to the Wii U system.

If you have Wii Points to spend, content you want to re-download, or content you’d like to transfer from a Wii system to a Wii U system, we recommend you do so while the services are still available.

If you have any questions, please see our Q&A.

Thank you for supporting the Wii Shop Channel and for being such great fans of Nintendo.

Sincerely,

Your Friends at Nintendo

I'm honestly surprised they've kept it up and running as long as they have, and that they're announcing this now when it's still technically gonna be open for over a year.
    Gameguy1996
    Gameguy1996
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Internet Browser : Safari

User Points : 12861

Wii Shop Channel Closing in 2019 Empty Re: Wii Shop Channel Closing in 2019

Post by Gameguy1996 Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:49 pm

13 years is a good run for the Wii Shop Channel. Speaking of Wii points though when has anyone ever seen them past 2013?
    queenzelda
    queenzelda
    Lady Queen
    Lady Queen

Custom Title : Gengar Master
    Internet Browser : Google Chrome

User Points : 8540
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : The Legend of Zelda & Pokemonz

Post by queenzelda Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:13 pm

I've actually seen some wii-points at a local general store where I live, but I do live out in the sticks. XD After reading this I remembered that I'll probably have to check & see what I need to download (that I haven't) before this service won't be available anymore, after a certain point. I think I might have like $5 worth of wii-points left to spend, but I've yet to find anything to download for cheaper then $9, from what I've seen. (I'll still have to double check though. xp)
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Custom Title : Powered Up
    Internet Browser : Mozilla Firefox

User Points : 2147483647
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Splatoon

Post by Winters Thief Zero Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:06 pm

^ If I remember correctly there ARE some games available for 200 or 500 points. (the equivalent of $2 or $5 respectively) So if you do have points there might be at least something hidden on there. I'll probably just redownload everything on my Wii when I get the chance just so I know I have them and put my Wii back away again.
    queenzelda
    queenzelda
    Lady Queen
    Lady Queen

Custom Title : Gengar Master
    Internet Browser : Google Chrome

User Points : 8540
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : The Legend of Zelda & Pokemonz

Post by queenzelda Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:44 am

I actually downloaded everything I bought on my Wii & a lot more of it on my SD card. In reality I had 100 WPs left & spent it on in game DLC. XD I'd rather spend it on something frivolous then loose the money I had left on the Wii channel in the end anyway. Also @Zero Revolution I'd advise your downloading your games sooner then later, as I'm sure most every one will try downloading at the last minute which will cause the server to run busy. Just don't say I didn't warn you before it happens.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 11:59 pm