The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

The Nintendo Forum Site

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

Battles

Dark Jester
    Dark Jester
    Ness
    Ness

Custom Title : Always a way!
    Internet Browser : Google Chrome

User Points : 1604
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Pokemon: Black and White

Battles Empty Battles

Post by Dark Jester Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:39 pm

What do you think about the Battles in the game, and how they play out:

Personally, I do like them, and I find them pretty standard.

There isn't nothing too crazy about them that makes them annoying or in your face, and the special moves work... almost just how I'd want them to.

The Status elements work nicely, but so far with my experience with it in the game I've yet to find that it effects me long term, as most of these battles are quite short.

So if I were poisoned, it would likely only effect me for one turn, or if I were turned into a scare crow; I'd have two other character to defend and/or aim for the enemy causing sleep.

The Special moves system is interesting, but I find myself only wanting to waste flowers when it comes to boss battles. The overall team running on the same flowers is a good idea to me, it saves each characters moves having their own points.

But, it does annoy me how little flower source there is, even more so in game. I feel like there needs to be a "decrease HP/Attack to increase Flowers" move, just to balance out how ideal Mallow's HP rain and Geno's Geno Boost are.

The graphics and layout are all very nice to me, ever area has a nice feel, and I never get confused as to what I'm attacking, but I must admit the music is getting a bit dry, only 2 battle tunes so far, the main one and the boss battle one...

Maybe it's because this game has more of an Earthound RPG feel to it, rather than a Pokemon feel, but I just expect more music y'know. Give all these enemies a bit more personality.

Now, finally, what does annoy me with this is the "Critical Hit" and "Dodging" mechanisms. You must hit "A" or "Y" at the most perfect time to get your moves fullest potential. Every item and character you use and fight against has a new pattern to learn.

I just hate this, I can't master some making some characters useless or some moves OP against me. I feel like looking up a guide just to get the fullest out of my characters, and a game shouldn't make you want to do that for any reason.

But overall it isn't a bad battle system they got here. It's easy to learn and fun to play though!

What do you think about it?
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Custom Title : Powered Up
    Internet Browser : Mozilla Firefox

User Points : 2147483647
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Splatoon

Battles Empty Re: Battles

Post by Winters Thief Zero Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:48 pm

I do like the battle system better in the Paper Mario series (not counting Sticker Star Razz) It's pretty cool in this though. The thing that did annoy me (which I think you already stated in your post, Jester) is the timing, you have to be so exact when you defend or attack...but at least they have dodging in it.

And I hate to be so general here, but I pretty much just agree with all of what you already said!

Last edited by Zero Revolution on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Dark Jester
    Dark Jester
    Ness
    Ness

Custom Title : Always a way!
    Internet Browser : Google Chrome

User Points : 1604
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Pokemon: Black and White

Post by Dark Jester Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:00 pm

I'm glad you agree! Mario and Luigi and Paper Mario (I'd assume) really do take a leaf out this game. Which is brilliant, as they got a little bit of that Square Enix magic spread all around 'em!

You may agree with this point as well, the enemies randomly giving you stat upgrades or double turns... brilliant. Sure, some of the up atk/def ones have been useless so far... but man, once you get the full HP or "Once More" one... beautiful. Just... beautiful.
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Custom Title : Powered Up
    Internet Browser : Mozilla Firefox

User Points : 2147483647
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Splatoon

Post by Winters Thief Zero Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:04 pm

Well that post had a lot of typos I didn't notice...

But anyway, I do agree on that as well, they can really be helpful indeed.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 2:48 pm