The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

The Nintendo Forum Site

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

I can FINALLY hit the Whistle Register! :D

Snowy Yialina
    Snowy Yialina
    Pikachu
    Pikachu

Internet Browser : Google Chrome

User Points : 715

I can FINALLY hit the Whistle Register! :D Empty I can FINALLY hit the Whistle Register! :D

Post by Snowy Yialina Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:32 pm

Well, many of you have probably never heard of this, so to make it simple... It's the highest register in the human voice and it sounds like a puppy whining. Well, I can get there. I can't sing it yet but, really, I don't wanna be able to sing it. I just wanna be able to use it.

Proof of concept, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX72YqhFabU

Thanks for looking, guys and I hope you like it! Smile

How did I get here, eh? Well, some trivia for those who wanna know. I just started laughing a few months back and I started to make a weird like bird sound. Only on Wednesday did I find out how to do it and to find it was WR, really made me happy (and hyper). So, to get there. All I have to do is laugh, which must make everything in my 'singing area' relax, so I can easily tip into there without feeling any strain or discomfort. I was so hyper that I stayed high for the rest of the day :PYeah, I actually felt that I was high Razz
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Custom Title : Powered Up
    Internet Browser : Mozilla Firefox

User Points : 2147483647
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Splatoon

I can FINALLY hit the Whistle Register! :D Empty Re: I can FINALLY hit the Whistle Register! :D

Post by Winters Thief Zero Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:51 pm

Nope, never heard of the concept until you posted this. Razz Lol, but that's good Yi! I'm glad you were finally able to do it. But I don't understand how laughing allows you to...
    Snowy Yialina
    Snowy Yialina
    Pikachu
    Pikachu

I can FINALLY hit the Whistle Register! :D Empty Re: I can FINALLY hit the Whistle Register! :D

Post by Snowy Yialina Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:00 am

Zero Revolution wrote:Nope, never heard of the concept until you posted this. :PLol, but that's good Yi! I'm glad you were finally able to do it. But I don't understand how laughing allows you to...

Heh-heh, I thought not :PThanks! :DYeah, I am too! It took some time and some practicing! :)Hmm, well, my hunch is, is that it relaxes the vocal cords and must encourage them to thin out. They thin out, so you can hit higher pitches easily because a thin cord can vibrate faster with less energy being supplied to it other than a thick cord. Those obviously produce the lower sounds.
    Snowy Yialina
    Snowy Yialina
    Pikachu
    Pikachu

I can FINALLY hit the Whistle Register! :D Empty Whistle Register-Progress-Update 1

Post by Snowy Yialina Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:03 am

UPDATE: My Whistle is now stronger and here's a prime example, it hurt today, though because I have a sore throat. I'm not doing this AGAIN until my throat's better Razz

Here, and such.

Here we are, this one is the best, I think... It depends, so I've got two, so you can at least hear the good ones... 

And, the second one... I apologise for the terrible quality and the quality in my voice... I have a sore throat, so but I'm amazed I still hit the pitch Razz This is the lower end of Whistle but, oh well, it gets the job done Razz
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Winters Thief Zero Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:12 am

If I didn't know that were you, I'd guess it was somebody cleaning off a car window or something. XD

Anyway, I guess that's good, although I don't really know what it's 'supposed' to sound like. It could sound like anything as long as it's as high pitched as that right?
    Snowy Yialina
    Snowy Yialina
    Pikachu
    Pikachu

Post by Snowy Yialina Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:36 am

Zero Revolution wrote:If I didn't know that were you, I'd guess it was somebody cleaning off a car window or something. XD

Anyway, I guess that's good, although I don't really know what it's 'supposed' to sound like. It could sound like anything as long as it's as high pitched as that right?

Heh~ :PWell, you see when it got quieter? Well, that's the 'poor quality' bits in it, really and the bits where it sounds like there's two voices in one, is also another 'poor quality' or 'poor technique' bit. Thanks, though. No, not really. Since a lot of the colour and originality is taken out of the voice at that pitch, it can't sound 'much' different. Even a guy's and a girl's Whistle sound the same because everything that happens usually is taken out of it because of the extreme of it :PSo, no, you'll know if it's Whistle or not because the squeak will sound the same, just maybe not the exact same pitch but the timbre will be the same. Uh, hopefully that makes sense. Timbre = colour of the sound or what it sounds like. The fullness and such of it.

So, yeah. The timbre will change once I can sing in it, though because you'll hear the air behind it.
    Dark Jester
    Dark Jester
    Ness
    Ness

Custom Title : Always a way!

User Points : 1604
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Pokemon: Black and White

Post by Dark Jester Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:52 pm

Skip to 3:59 in this video. 

Your voice sounds like Salad Finger's Squeal. X3
    Snowy Yialina
    Snowy Yialina
    Pikachu
    Pikachu

Post by Snowy Yialina Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:26 pm

Dark Jester wrote:

Skip to 3:59 in this video. 

Your voice sounds like Salad Finger's Squeal. X3

Cool, I suppose... It wasn't the best today because of my sore throat... It's usually better quality. Okay, though Razz What do you think of it other than that? Also that video's really creepy! Sad
    Dark Jester
    Dark Jester
    Ness
    Ness

Custom Title : Always a way!

User Points : 1604
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Pokemon: Black and White

Post by Dark Jester Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:30 pm

Honestly, I don't think much of it because I don't really know much about it. 

I looked into it and that song "loving you" has the same toned "whistle" I guess... so keep practicing to perfect it I guess. 

It also reminded me and my friends used to do the exact same thing when we were trying to be Salad Fingers, made me laugh~
    Snowy Yialina
    Snowy Yialina
    Pikachu
    Pikachu

Post by Snowy Yialina Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:10 am

Dark Jester wrote:Honestly, I don't think much of it because I don't really know much about it. 

I looked into it and that song "loving you" has the same toned "whistle" I guess... so keep practicing to perfect it I guess. 

It also reminded me and my friends used to do the exact same thing when we were trying to be Salad Fingers, made me laugh~

That's fair enough~ Oh, that's great! 'Emotions' is also another prime example Smile Yeah, I know it's not perfect. Hell, it's not even there yet! I'll probably have to practice for months and months, after all, it took me months to develop it to where it is now. Just gotta continue with the practising! Very Happy
    Snowy Yialina
    Snowy Yialina
    Pikachu
    Pikachu

Post by Snowy Yialina Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:02 pm

Dark Jester wrote:Honestly, I don't think much of it because I don't really know much about it. 

Alright, here's the end to the confusion! Smile Why does the pitch I use not sound how it is supposed to? Well, yes it is the exact pitch and timbre of whistle but I have been doing something which has been stopping it from sounding like it. What do I do? Well, I suck in air and hold it and create the pitch with that, rather than breathing out when I'm singing, that's why there's no note. It's called 'Reversed Phonation' and anyone can create it and it can help anyone reach a high pitch effortlessly and really makes you wonder. 'Why do I find it hard to do this with normal phonation?' Answer: You have created too many physiological barriers that have stopped you when you get to a certain point, thus you strain and fight your way higher, which makes an awfully strained high note. Also, when you suck in, you're not pushing on the vocal cords, you're pulling them back into the 'relaxed' position, which makes it extremely easy to float between pitches completely effortlessly.

How do I know this? Well, from videos, so look at these, then try and do this yourself. Now really, go on and try it because you'll be amazed by the results, trust me.

Hopefully a lot of you will understand now why I'm not quite singing up there yet. Really, as Brett says, I just need to learn how to go back to normal phonation at the point in the reversed phonation, so it comes out in Whistle. This'll take some time, though because it's harder than it both looks and sounds.
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Winters Thief Zero Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:30 pm

Oh I see, yes using reversed phonation does work. I'm surprised how high I can get my voice by doing that. XD But why is it that you wouldn't want to do that in order to reach the whistle voice Yi? Isn't it just having as high a pitch as that?
    Snowy Yialina
    Snowy Yialina
    Pikachu
    Pikachu

Post by Snowy Yialina Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:29 am

Zero Revolution wrote:Oh I see, yes using reversed phonation does work. I'm surprised how high I can get my voice by doing that. XD But why is it that you wouldn't want to do that in order to reach the whistle voice Yi? Isn't it just having as high a pitch as that?

Ha, that's so funny! Razz Thanks for giving it a shot, Yozz! Very Happy Oh, I do, it's just I'll never be able to create the proper sound of Whistle if I just use Reversed Phonation because it keeps the sound in and the sound isn't being powered by exhaling air, so it doesn't sound as breathy and beautiful as it should. I will use it to get up there because it creates the mechanism easily but once I'm in that mechanism, the idea is, is to switch quickly to normal phonation, so it will come out as Whistle as Brett did, so yeah. Makes sense now? Smile
    Snowy Yialina
    Snowy Yialina
    Pikachu
    Pikachu

Post by Snowy Yialina Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:06 pm

Yes, I can do it now, and this is real! Very Happy Here's the video for proof, it's very weak right now but, eventually it'll get stronger and stronger with practice! I can so far go from C6-F6 and on a good stretch, I can hit F6-C7! Very Happy So happy! Very Happy

Vid: 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:38 am