The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

The Nintendo Forum Site

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Has Splatoon caused shooters to become popular in Japan?

Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Custom Title : Powered Up
    Internet Browser : Mozilla Firefox

User Points : 2147483647
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Splatoon

Has Splatoon caused shooters to become popular in Japan? Empty Has Splatoon caused shooters to become popular in Japan?

Post by Winters Thief Zero Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:21 pm

Yes this is a thread about Splatoon, and it's also in General Gaming. That's on purpose. :p My question is, has Splatoon caused a resurgence for shooters in Japan? Shooters really haven't been popular in Japan ever, especially recently with so many people moving to mobile and handhelds which don't have as many shooters. However, Splatoon has been VERY successful in Japan despite this. That of course doesn't necessarily mean shooters in general are suddenly more popular, but that actually seems to be the case. Looking at Devil's Third reviews on Amazon in Japan, many of them said they actually purchased the game BECAUSE of Splatoon, and never would've thought to purchase another shooter beforehand. Could this mean that Splatoon has shown people in Japan shooters can be fun, therefore increasing their demand?

Of course, this may also be the case in the west, we just have yet to see exactly. It's sold even better here, but we're of course a MUCH larger population, and shooters are already fairly popular anyway.

Luma Party
    Luma Party
    Link
    Link

Custom Title : The Luma
    User Points : 2765

Has Splatoon caused shooters to become popular in Japan? Empty Re: Has Splatoon caused shooters to become popular in Japan?

Post by Luma Party Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:58 pm

Well, maybe.
    I'll still never get into shooters, Splatoon doesn't feel like a shooter to me.
    But, if it helps Nintendo games sell, then I'm fine.
    Yoshiman222
    Yoshiman222
    Samus Aran
    Samus Aran

User Points : 307

Has Splatoon caused shooters to become popular in Japan? Empty Re: Has Splatoon caused shooters to become popular in Japan?

Post by Yoshiman222 Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:09 pm

Luma Party wrote:Well, maybe.
    I'll still never get into shooters, Splatoon doesn't feel like a shooter to me.
    But, if it helps Nintendo games sell, then I'm fine.
    This is my thoughts exactly.
    Especially since I'm using rollers and not the guns (except for the occasional scoped charager which is rare but I still use rollers regardless).

I can definitely see it helping make people interested in the genre though because of this, but once they go to some of the "overdone shooters" they might thing twice before buying some of them, at least I think so. Razz

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 12:05 am