The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

The Nintendo Forum Site

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
Gameguy1996
Luma Party
Winters Thief Zero
7 posters

Next Nintendo Console Won't Have Backwards Compatibility?

Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Custom Title : Powered Up
    Internet Browser : Mozilla Firefox

User Points : 2147483647
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Splatoon

Next Nintendo Console Won't Have Backwards Compatibility?  Empty Next Nintendo Console Won't Have Backwards Compatibility?

Post by Winters Thief Zero Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:05 pm

Do you think the next Nintendo home console is likely to have backwards compatibility with Wii U software? Personally I don't think it will. Why? Because it would have to be compatible with both Wii and Wii U controllers and peripherals. Tons of Wii U software is compatible with Wii controllers/peripherals, so the next Nintendo console would have to be compatible with Wii and Wii U accessories, while ALSO working with the brand new ones. So to me it just wouldn't make sense, but I want to know what you think. :3
    Luma Party
    Luma Party
    Link
    Link

Custom Title : The Luma
    User Points : 2765

Next Nintendo Console Won't Have Backwards Compatibility?  Empty Re: Next Nintendo Console Won't Have Backwards Compatibility?

Post by Luma Party Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:13 pm

Good point.
    It could be a costly error...
    But, we shall see...
    Gameguy1996
    Gameguy1996
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Internet Browser : Safari

User Points : 12861

Next Nintendo Console Won't Have Backwards Compatibility?  Empty Re: Next Nintendo Console Won't Have Backwards Compatibility?

Post by Gameguy1996 Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:39 pm

I also don't think that the next console will have backwards compatibility since Nintendo will likely have past games on the shop to buy.
    queenzelda
    queenzelda
    Lady Queen
    Lady Queen

Custom Title : Gengar Master
    Internet Browser : Google Chrome

User Points : 8540
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : The Legend of Zelda & Pokemonz

Post by queenzelda Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:07 am

They better; or I'm not buying their next console. I didn't buy a PS4 because it has 0 backwards compatibility. Only reason I bought a non backwards compatible PS3 is because it has the library to invest in one; unlike the newer consoles that have next no library I care for short of the Wii U that is. Nintendo knows better then to pull the bull-crap that $ony & M$ pulled this gen; or at least they better know. >:3
    Dark Jester
    Dark Jester
    Ness
    Ness

Custom Title : Always a way!

User Points : 1604
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Pokemon: Black and White

Post by Dark Jester Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:39 am

queenzelda wrote:They better; or I'm not buying their next console. I didn't buy a PS4 because it has 0 backwards compatibility. Only reason I bought a non backwards compatible PS3 is because it has the library to invest in one; unlike the newer consoles that have next no library I care for short of the Wii U that is. Nintendo knows better then to pull the bull-crap that $ony & M$ pulled this gen; or at least they better know. >:3
    Next Nintendo Console Won't Have Backwards Compatibility?  6Z8tI

QueenZelda, I love you... but you've managed to baffle me again. You wont buy Ninty's next console if it don't play the elder games. 

Then why bother to buy a new console at all? The systems you have now play your old games? If you wont buy a new console for new games, then clearly you're not that interested in the new games to begin with... so why bother with the new console in the first place? 

I must admit, backwards compatibility is nice and I too would think it'd be great to include it. Even more when it comes to the Wii U because not many people have actually got one this time around (unless they change their sales figures by the time). Take the PS4 QueenZelda mentioned, I would of considered it highly if it were backwards compatible, since I never got a PS3 I thought it would of been a great chance to get into it, pick up the few PS3 titles I did want but missed out on due to not having a PS3 and be able to get all the new games I'm interested in.

...but yeah, I kinda think Ninty will make it backwards compatible. I think when they do these things it's more of a bonus. Like if you happen to own a gamepad, you'll be able to play the new games. Much like how gamecube got booted, I think the Wii line will get booted from backwards compatibility. But I must admit, I'd understand fully if they didn't bother due to costs or hardware difficulties. 

But it is still very possible, keep that in mind.
    King Atem
    King Atem
    Ness
    Ness

Custom Title : PlayStation King

User Points : 1568
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Legend of Zelda, Mario 'n Pokemon.

Post by King Atem Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:50 pm

I'd say that for the next Nintendo console to be backwards compatible is to just be backwards compatible with the use of the Wii U gamepad & WIi U controller for the WIi U games. The next console can just be backwards compatible with the Wii U controls & not the Wii ones. So, I think that the next console made by Nintendo can be backwards compatible easily.
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Custom Title : Powered Up

User Points : 2147483647
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Splatoon

Post by Winters Thief Zero Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:14 pm

^ But that's exactly the problem, a TON of Wii U games make use of Wii Remotes, nunchuks, classic controllers, etc. If they didn't include support, so many Wii U games would be useless to even play on their next console, unless it's one that ONLY uses the Wii U Gamepad. Even software that might be specifically made with the Gamepad in mind like Nintendo Land or Rayman Legends, Nintendo Land wouldn't even work at all. So if backwards compatibility were added, they'd have to make it compatible with Wii controllers as well, it wouldn't make much sense otherwise. Yeah, it's mostly for multiplayer purposes but still, even some games that are compatible with Wii Remotes for solo play might feel better to be played with the Wii Remotes.

@Dark Jester
    I may be wrong, but Queen said she would have no library to begin with when playing the console. Most launch games for consoles aren't very good, so to start off with being able to play tons of games from the previous console on the new one is definitely a good thing. If there were no backwards compatibility, it'd be smarter to just wait until some more interesting games come to the console before purchasing it. Personally I was quite happy to just play some Wii games on my Wii U during that game drought in 2013, because my original Wii was broken and I was left unable to play all of those games I owned for it. So yeah...I do think there are plenty of reasons for purchasing a console at the BEGINNING of it's life solely for backwards compatibility. But that's just my opinon. Razz
    King Atem
    King Atem
    Ness
    Ness

Custom Title : PlayStation King

User Points : 1568
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Legend of Zelda, Mario 'n Pokemon.

Post by King Atem Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:18 pm

Zero Revolution wrote:^ But that's exactly the problem, a TON of Wii U games make use of Wii Remotes, nunchuks, classic controllers, etc. If they didn't include support, so many Wii U games would be useless to even play on their next console, unless it's one that ONLY uses the Wii U Gamepad. Even software that might be specifically made with the Gamepad in mind like Nintendo Land or Rayman Legends, Nintendo Land wouldn't even work at all. So if backwards compatibility were added, they'd have to make it compatible with Wii controllers as well, it wouldn't make much sense otherwise. Yeah, it's mostly for multiplayer purposes but still, even some games that are compatible with Wii Remotes for solo play might feel better to be played with the Wii Remotes.
    My thought is that the backwards compatibility could happen if the Wii remotes were taken out & replaced with the Wii U controller or gamepad instead; is all I'm thinking.
    queenzelda
    queenzelda
    Lady Queen
    Lady Queen

Post by queenzelda Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:53 pm

@ DJ: Zero's on the money. Console releases are usually terrible with the kind of games that release at launch. Nintendo isn't exempt to that because the Wii U's launch titles were just terrible; had it not been backwards compatible I wouldn't have been interested in it in the least & just invested in another Wii console tbh.
    Dark Jester
    Dark Jester
    Ness
    Ness

Post by Dark Jester Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:03 pm

Zero Revolution wrote:I may be wrong, but Queen said she would have no library to begin with when playing the console. Most launch games for consoles aren't very good, so to start off with being able to play tons of games from the previous console on the new one is definitely a good thing. If there were no backwards compatibility, it'd be smarter to just wait until some more interesting games come to the console before purchasing it. Personally I was quite happy to just play some Wii games on my Wii U during that game drought in 2013, because my original Wii was broken and I was left unable to play all of those games I owned for it. So yeah...I do think there are plenty of reasons for purchasing a console at the BEGINNING of it's life solely for backwards compatibility. But that's just my opinon. Razz
    Well, I think when you buy any console at any point in time it's an investment. It seems more situational to really need to have backwards compatibility from day one. Like you having a broken wii, yeah it's a bonus! I do agree having backwards compatibility is nice, and I'd and even in some aspects expect it on Ninty's next console. 

...but at the same time you buy a new console for new games, if you had intentions of never buying a console because it didn't have backwards compatibility, or buying just because it does, then to me that's just silly. 

Maybe Queenie did mean at launch, and that's fair enough if there's nothing she wants to play and don't have anything to play the wii games she does have.

QueenZelda wrote:Zero's on the money. Console releases are usually terrible with the kind of games that release at launch. Nintendo isn't exempt to that because the Wii U's launch titles were just terrible; had it not been backwards compatible I wouldn't have been interested in it in the least & just invested in another Wii console tbh.

Even then, couldn't you of saved your money and waited to get the Wii U if you had plans on getting it?
    queenzelda
    queenzelda
    Lady Queen
    Lady Queen

Post by queenzelda Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:12 pm

Well, though I did ended up getting the Wii U, it was ONLY because it was backwards compatible. But let's say that it wasn't backwards compatible; so pretend it wasn't for a moment. If it hadn't been backwards compatible; then I would have invested in a Wii console & not worried about getting a Wii U. (Though yes I did have a launch Wii, but it was giving me problems. So I would have invested in another Wii console so that I could continue to play my Wii gaming library.) I would only start to save back to get a Wii U when a release date for the new Zelda U title was announced & ONLY then. Never mind Super Mario 3D World, Sonic Lost World, or even DKTF as I'd only settle for getting a Wii U when Zelda U released. That's just the kind of person I am. I'm not like other gamers.

Let's take the PS4 for instance. I also don't wish to get one. But I do want to play Kingdom hearts 3, so I'm not even going to worry about investing in one until there is more then just 1 title I'm interested in that's releasing to the PS4. If there isn't anything; I'll wait a few years until the PS4 is under $100 & I can then easily invest in the console when it's worth investing in. Otherwise, I can wait. I have a bunch of video games I can play besides just the 'new stuff' releasing. Not only that but a lot of games I want are releasing to the PS3 anyway, so I'm not really missing anything.
    Dark Jester
    Dark Jester
    Ness
    Ness

Post by Dark Jester Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:18 pm

queenzelda wrote:Well, though I did ended up getting the Wii U, it was ONLY because it was backwards compatible. But let's say that it wasn't backwards compatible; so pretend it wasn't for a moment. If it hadn't been backwards compatible; then I would have invested in a Wii console & not worried about getting a Wii U. (Though yes I did have a launch Wii, but it was giving me problems. So I would have invested in another Wii console so that I could continue to play my Wii gaming library.) I would only start to save back to get a Wii U when a release date for the new Zelda U title was announced & ONLY then. Never mind Super Mario 3D World, Sonic Lost World, or even DKTF as I'd only settle for getting a Wii U when Zelda U released. That's just the kind of person I am. I'm not like other gamers.

Let's take the PS4 for instance. I also don't wish to get one. But I do want to play Kingdom hearts 3, so I'm not even going to worry about investing in one until there is more then just 1 title I'm interested in that's releasing to the PS4. If there isn't anything; I'll wait a few years until the PS4 is under $100 & I can then easily invest in the console when it's worth investing in. Otherwise, I can wait. I have a bunch of video games I can play besides just the 'new stuff' releasing. Not only that but a lot of games I want are releasing to the PS3 anyway, so I'm not really missing anything.
    Aw, it's kind of sad that you see it that way... maybe the Wii U could change how you feel. As you said yourself that could could of potentially missed out on DKC:TF, SM3DW and Sonic Lost World if for whatever reason you didn't buy a Wii U there and then!

I think my point is that you can't judge a console over what it's going to be like at launch, and from what you've said above it seems you've become more motivated to try and purchase more games because you had it so long. 

Which is good, I really do encourage trying out as many games like that than possible, you may find out there's more out there than just Zelda. (Tbh, I really don't think Nintendo Land nor NSMBU were bad launch titles, but that's for a different thread)
    queenzelda
    queenzelda
    Lady Queen
    Lady Queen

Post by queenzelda Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:31 pm

Well the thing is I know there are more games out there other then Zelda, it's just that they aren't as good as Zelda is. Er at least: impo. Razz I do have a Wii U & I do enjoy it; but the games for it could be far better then Nintendo Land, SMB Wii U & SMB:Luigi Edition were.

Still, even if the next Nintendo's console let's call it the Wii X; wasn't backwards compatible there would have to be more then Mario released for it for me to invest in it. I mean yes I do love Mario, but unless the launch game were something like Super Mario Galaxy Wii X, Metroid Wii X, Zelda Wii X, or even Batien Kaitos: Wii X I wouldn't even be half interested otherwise. *shrugs* It's just how I roll.
    Lady Pikachu
    Lady Pikachu
    Koopa Troopa
    Koopa Troopa

Custom Title : Pika fan. Chu!

User Points : 51
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Pokemon & Super Mario 3D World

Post by Lady Pikachu Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:07 pm

I sure hope the next
    one is backwards compatible! ~w~

Dark Jester wrote:
    queenzelda wrote:They better; or I'm not buying their next console. I didn't buy a PS4 because it has 0 backwards compatibility. Only reason I bought a non backwards compatible PS3 is because it has the library to invest in one; unlike the newer consoles that have next no library I care for short of the Wii U that is. Nintendo knows better then to pull the bull-crap that $ony & M$ pulled this gen; or at least they better know. >:3
    QueenZelda, I love you.
    Aww you two make such a cute couple!
    I'm so jealous! ////-\\\\

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 11:20 am