The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

The Nintendo Forum Site

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
Marowak
Winters Thief Zero
Luma Party
Gameguy1996
8 posters

Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service for Nintendo DS and Wii to end in May

Gameguy1996
    Gameguy1996
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Internet Browser : Safari

User Points : 12861

Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service for Nintendo DS and Wii to end in May Empty Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service for Nintendo DS and Wii to end in May

Post by Gameguy1996 Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:30 am

Nintendo website wrote: As of May 20, 2014, certain online functionality offered through Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection will no longer be accessible. The discontinued services include online play, matchmaking and leaderboards for many Wii, Nintendo DS and Nintendo DSi games. For a comprehensive list of games and services that are affected, please check http://support.nintendo.com/servicesupdate. Users can still play the games in offline mode, which continues to offer a rich game-play experience.

Online play for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS games will be unaffected (aside from the Wii mode on Wii U and Nintendo DS games on Nintendo 3DS family systems). Other online functionality, such as access to the Wii Shop Channel, the Nintendo DSi Shop and video-on-demand services, are also not affected at this time.

We at Nintendo sincerely thank our fans for their continued support of our company’s legacy systems. Your enthusiasm for games made for these systems speaks to their longevity, and the passion of Nintendo fans.

List of affected Nintendo software titles

Note: Game functionality that does not require an Internet connection will remain unchanged.

Nintendo DS
    100 Classic Books
    Animal Crossing: Wild World
    Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
    Clubhouse Games
    Custom Robo Arena
    Diddy Kong Racing DS
    Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
    Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2
    Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
    Fossil Fighters: Champions
    Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
    Mario Kart DS
    Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis
    Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem
    Metroid Prime Hunters
    Personal Trainer: Walking
    Picross 3D
    Picross DS
    Planet Puzzle League
    Pokémon Black Version
    Pokémon Black Version 2
    Pokémon Diamond Version
    Pokémon HeartGold Version
    Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness
    Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky
    Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time
    Pokémon Pearl Version
    Pokémon Platinum Version
    Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs
    Pokémon Ranger: Shadows of Almia
    Pokémon SoulSilver Version
    Pokémon White Version
    Pokémon White Version 2
    Professor Layton and the Curious Village
    Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
    Professor Layton and the Last Specter
    Professor Layton and the Unwound Future
    Star Fox Command
    Style Savvy
    Tenchu: Dark Secret
    Tetris DS
    WarioWare DIY

Nintendo DSiWare
    Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again!
    Metal Torrent
    Number Battle

Wii
    Animal Crossing: City Life
    Battalion Wars 2
    Endless Ocean
    Endless Ocean 2: Adventures of the Deep
    Excitebots: Trick Racing
    Fortune Street
    Mario Kart Wii
    Mario Sports Mix
    Mario Strikers Charged
    Pokémon Battle Revolution
    Samurai Warriors 3
    Sin & Punishment: Star Successor
    Super Smash Brothers Brawl
    Wii Music*

WiiWare
    Dr. Mario Online RX
    Excitebike: World Rally
    LONPOS
    Maboshi's Arcade
    My Pokémon Ranch
    ThruSpace
    WarioWare DIY

Other
    Wii Speak**
    Wii Speak Channel**

Source

I don't really care that there doing this since I don't play any of those games online anymore. Watch lots of people be mad about this though.
    Luma Party
    Luma Party
    Link
    Link

Custom Title : The Luma
    User Points : 2765

Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service for Nintendo DS and Wii to end in May Empty Re: Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service for Nintendo DS and Wii to end in May

Post by Luma Party Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:18 am

Mario Kart Wii was really the only thing I used online.
    It's not that bad though.
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Custom Title : Powered Up
    Internet Browser : Mozilla Firefox

User Points : 2147483647
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Splatoon

Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service for Nintendo DS and Wii to end in May Empty Re: Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service for Nintendo DS and Wii to end in May

Post by Winters Thief Zero Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:07 pm

I'm actually kinda mad about this. Why would they remove online play on the older games just because they're old? I can understand for a few of them, but for some of those, online play was what made the game great, and now people can't do anything with the game despite having paid for it. But I did see this coming. Well, I guess that Brawl tournament is never going to happen...
    Marowak
    Marowak
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Custom Title : Mari
    User Points : 2927
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Legend of Metroid Emblem Bros Story X/Y

Post by Marowak Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:47 pm

Well they have to close the servers down eventually otherwise it's just unnecessary work that is put in that can be spent elsewhere.

@Zero, we could always dues it before then, we have quite some time until that actually happens.
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Winters Thief Zero Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:50 pm

^ Well yeah, but I was planning to have it go on for quite some time. So it probably wouldn't work in only a couple months.

I do wonder though, with Nintendo DS games coming to Wii U Virtual Console, will you just be unable to play the DS games online even on Virtual Console? I thought it would be kinda cool to have people using online in the DS games again because they're being rereleased, but I guess that won't really be the case.
    queenzelda
    queenzelda
    Lady Queen
    Lady Queen

Custom Title : Gengar Master
    Internet Browser : Google Chrome

User Points : 8540
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : The Legend of Zelda & Pokemonz

Post by queenzelda Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:52 pm

I'm only upset because I still kinda play Animal Crossing City Folk & have crossed with a few friends every now & then for shiz 'n giggles. But after May: poof no more. D: I guess it's ok but I kind of liked being able to have access to being able to get anything I wanted. ^^; Eh well, I saw this coming too. Nintendo is kind of forcing every one to get the new stuff by doing this though if you think about it; either get the new Wii U & 3DS that have wifi support with the new games & play with your friends that way or forget it.

What I find funny is that in a way Nintendo doing this is sort of doing what M$ has done with it's Xbox franchise seeing as they don't support older wifi games on their older consoles.
    King Atem
    King Atem
    Ness
    Ness

Custom Title : PlayStation King

User Points : 1568
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Legend of Zelda, Mario 'n Pokemon.

Post by King Atem Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:41 pm

Well from what I've reas online; some support for some wifi games have started to go by the wayside already. So it's not surprising to see the wifi for older games go away. But the good news is that some games have local wifi so I'm guessing those games won't get axed; so at least there's that.
    Gameguy1996
    Gameguy1996
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Internet Browser : Safari

User Points : 12861

Post by Gameguy1996 Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:19 am

I just saw this on Go Nintendo. Apparently they were using a 3rd party's software for a P2P system (I don't understand tech speech btw so this may be incorrect) and that contract expired.

Source

I wander if this is true?
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Winters Thief Zero Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:12 pm

^ Well that makes sense. If it's true, they likely just removed the wi-fi because as the games get older, less and less people are using it, so they don't need to pay money for it anymore.

@Queen
    Yeah, but if what Gameguy said isn't true, I feel like the reason for them removing wi-fi from the older games is due to it being a completely different service from the Nintendo Network they use for 3DS and Wii U. So they obviously would want people to switch from DS to 3DS and from Wii to Wii U for it, but they'd also like to abandon the old wi-fi service.
    queenzelda
    queenzelda
    Lady Queen
    Lady Queen

Custom Title : Gengar Master
    Internet Browser : Google Chrome

User Points : 8540
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : The Legend of Zelda & Pokemonz

Post by queenzelda Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:16 pm

Zero Revolution wrote:@Queen: Yeah, but if what Gameguy said isn't true, I feel like the reason for them removing wi-fi from the older games is due to it being a completely different service from the Nintendo Network they use for 3DS and Wii U. So they obviously would want people to switch from DS to 3DS and from Wii to Wii U for it, but they'd also like to abandon the old wi-fi service.
    Which means upgrading to the newest systems. Thus the M$ move in essence. ;3
    hissae2
    Koopa Troopa
    Koopa Troopa

User Points : 34

Post by hissae2 Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:40 pm

This makes me sad. I still play Mario Kart Wii online often. Sad
    Nino
    Nino
    Donkey Kong
    Donkey Kong

Custom Title : Do my best!
    User Points : 1420
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Pokemon Ultra Sun

Post by Nino Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:03 pm

I'll miss the weather wars we had in Pokemon Gen V battles (though they are still up on Pokemon Showdown)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 11:42 am