The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

The Nintendo Forum Site

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja

Nessness
    Nessness
    Nessness Ness
    Nessness Ness

Custom Title : Ness + Awesomeness = Nessness
    User Points : 732

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja Empty The Legend of the Mystical Ninja

Post by Nessness Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:15 am

Video Game Peek #3

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja Sd-sn-konami
    At Konami.. (You know, the folks who made Castlevania)
    "Hey, let's make an action game!"
    "I would like an adventure game instead."
    "How about fusing them?"
    "And let's add a lot of Japanese elements into it!"

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja 200px-Franchise_logo
    And so, the Ganbare Goemon series was born. These games are side-scrolling beat-em-ups, and they are heavily based in Japan.

Most of the Goemon games were not released outside Japan. However, some games luckily made it through (though they faced some horrible localization skills), and one of these games is The Legend of the Mystical Ninja.

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja (SNES)
    Konami, 1992

Probably my favorite action game on the SNES..
    Oh my, this game is so fun to play with. In fact, it is even very fun to just watch someone playing this game! Let's take a peek at this amazing game.

Let me introduce you the two main characters first.

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja 2014-09-07%2B21.51.08
    This blue haired guy is Kid Ying (Goemon in Japan, he is known as Goemon in other USA games). He is a very serious guy, like most of the other determined heroes of the other video games. He looks nothing like a ninja, but who cares? His personality is very ninja-like.

The happy guy wearing purple robes is Dr. Yang (Ebisumaru in JP/other games). While he actually looks like a Ninja compared to Kid Ying, his personality is nothing like a ninja. He is a very comical character.

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja 2014-09-07%2B17.50.20
    He eats a lot..

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja 2014-09-07%2B13.40.30
    he once chased Kid Ying by a shark..

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja 2014-09-07%2B17.50.20
    He used a kite while Kid Ying safely travelled by a boat..

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja C0034770_4be11850c81ed
    Actually, Ebisumaru/Dr. Yang is a woman who was transformed into a purple ninja, which was revealed in the ending of Ganbare Goemon 2 (Famicom). Don't ask me why he reverted to his ninja form in this game! The developers probably ditched this fact.

Anyways, I like how they got entirely different personalities, yet they travel with each other.
    I really like the fact that they gave the two characters a lot of variety, which was rare for action games back then.

For a fun fact, They are actually based on two real people- Ishikawa Goemon, and Nezumi Kozo. They stole things from the rich and gave them to the poor like Robin Hood.

This game is divided in nine chapters (known as Warlock Zones ingame), which have their own distinct Japanese theme.

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja 34dmv6x
    For example, the second chapter's theme is the Odon festival, which is one of the traditional Japanese festivals. The enemies and the bosses are also festival themed, matching the situation very well. Even the whole chapter is located on the Shikoku islands, which is the home of the Odon festival! I have never seen an action game which gave a lot of effort at creating a level theme like this.

Now onto the main gameplay. Each chapter is divided in two parts- the town area, where you can explore the town and do things, and the dungeon area, where you go into a dungeon and beat up enemies. Both of these areas were handled very well, and it doesn't feel weird that both of the areas are fused into one game. I'lll explain the town areas first.

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja 2vs3s0i
    The outside area of the town is pretty much like a beat-em-up. Beat up the local passengers and steal money from them. (4) You will need money, because there are lot of things you can do with money inside these houses.

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja 2014-09-07%2B22.11.22
    There are Japanese shops, where you can buy or eat Japanese stuff to make your adventure easier.

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja 2014-09-07%2B22.11.02
    The reaction of the shopkeeper when you exit without buying anything is hilarious, lol.

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja 2014-09-07%2B13.40.00
    You can also gamble, and it could sometimes net you a lot of money.

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja -Dll5g3vyyX41h0AHgSZnH-odOtzXpJB3Idnn_s7-hI=w702-h517-no
    But I won't suggest that, since there are much better ways to earn money.

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja 219ywex
    There are also hotels and saunas that will restore your health.

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja 1szdwl
    Of course, you need to pay for the service.

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja 2014-09-07%2B13.38.21
    The best part are the mini-games. This is a painting game, and it's pretty simmilar to the 'snake' game you can find on flash game websites. Try to paint as much as you can without hitting the walls. This one is probably my favorite.

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja 2014-09-07%2B13.38.08
    This is a whack-a-mole game. This one is still fun, but I like painting better.

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja 2014-09-07%2B13.37.27The Legend of the Mystical Ninja Screenshot_2014-09-07-13-18-46-1
    And this is a maze area, where you can collect treasures. It is more fun than it looks.
    The man who is hosting this maze is actually Konami Man, who was Konami's mascot for that time. Neat.

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja 2014-09-07%2B17.49.05The Legend of the Mystical Ninja 2014-09-07%2B17.49.22
    There's also a Konami arcade (and this girl is Konami Girl, who is Konami Man's sidekick), where you can play either Gradius (Konami's famous shooting game), or a breakout game. Though they don't give you money, these games were originally amazing, and I really like how those games were ported here.

These games are very fun to play with, and they provide you good amount of money. You'll probably spend most of your time playing these games. While there are more games, I picked the ones I like the best.

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja 2014-09-07%2B11.22.31
    When we leave the town, we are greeted by this tanuki statue. This brings an end to the town part, and the dungeon part begins. We will handle these parts in a later episode. Until then, sayonara.

CONTINUED IN PART 2

Last edited by Ness and Lucas on Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:23 am; edited 4 times in total
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Custom Title : Powered Up
    Internet Browser : Mozilla Firefox

User Points : 2147483647
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Splatoon

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja Empty Re: The Legend of the Mystical Ninja

Post by Winters Thief Zero Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:21 pm

Nice article Nessness. ^^

I've never played Legend of the Mystical Ninja, but it does seem like a pretty fun game.
    Gameguy1996
    Gameguy1996
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Internet Browser : Safari

User Points : 12861

Post by Gameguy1996 Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:55 pm

I never played the game before but, it looks cool and one of the characters kind of looks  like a popular character.
    Nessness
    Nessness
    Nessness Ness
    Nessness Ness

Post by Nessness Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:37 am

All right, I'm currently working on part two of this. You'll hopefully get to see it soon.
    Nessness
    Nessness
    Nessness Ness
    Nessness Ness

Post by Nessness Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:45 pm

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja: Part 2

End of Part 1 wrote:The Legend of the Mystical Ninja 2014-09-07%2B11.22.31
    When we leave the town, we are greeted by this tanuki statue. This brings an end to the town part, and the dungeon part begins. We will handle these parts in a later episode. Until then, sayonara.

Thanks for the footage: http://www.jjmccullough.com/ninja_levels.htm
    (The footage used in Part 1 was my footage, BTW)

So, what are the dungeons in Mystical Ninja like?

While the town section of Mystical Ninja was more like adventure and beat-em-up games combined, the dungeon section is more like a platformer. Though you will still face many enemies, there are many sections that require you to jump and deal with many gimmicks.

Part 1 wrote:
    This game is divided in nine chapters (known as Warlock Zones ingame), which have their own distinct Japanese theme.

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja Legend%20of%20The%20Mystical%20Ninja,%20The%20(U)060
    The dungeons have various themes as well. As an example, the first Warlock Zone was based on the Ghost Woman trying to terrorize the town. The dungeon takes on a ghostly temple area, to fit with this.

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja Legend%20of%20The%20Mystical%20Ninja,%20The%20(U)081
    And the fifth Warlock Zone is about the town of ninjas, so the dungeon has to be inside of a Ninja Castle as well. Fitting.

Sadly, the dungeons are not the best part of this game. While they are nice to go through, they can feel sometimes a bit short and lacking. Some Warlock Zones don't even have dungeons. Thankfully, the amazing bosses compensate for this.

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja Legend%20of%20The%20Mystical%20Ninja,%20The%20(U)0712
    This is a boss based on a traditional Japanese toy- Daruma Dolls. This is actually a Daruma Tower, where you have to step on each blocks and hit the Daruma head. Fighting it is pretty fun as well.

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja Mn-lanternman
    This boss is called Lantern Man. It's definitely based on real Lantern Men from Japan. The thing you need to do is to destroy every lantern and deal with his face. I really like how the way of beating the bosses is very unique in this game.

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja Legend%20of%20The%20Mystical%20Ninja,%20The%20(U)035
    However, this boss (which is based on Otafuku face from Japan) has to be the best boss ever in this game. When you hit him, it goes bigger..

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja Legend%20of%20The%20Mystical%20Ninja,%20The%20(U)023
    And bigger..

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja Legend%20of%20The%20Mystical%20Ninja,%20The%20(U)030
    And bigger..

Isn't this just amazing?

Also, the two player aspect of this game is awesome, since the minigames in the town are fit for two players as well.

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja -Dll5g3vyyX41h0AHgSZnH-odOtzXpJB3Idnn_s7-hI=w702-h517-no
    You will definitely need to co-op though, you don't want others to own both of you.

And that's the end of our peek of Mystical Ninja. If you always wanted to visit Japan, but if you haven't got a chance to, just try to play this game. So grab a friend who loves Japanese stuff as well, and enjoy this game.

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQbrhqvElqoyPDf6HetRZmzaCu940Hnw27ZqYr5BfAz0m0erS0q
    Kid Ying and Dr. Yang won't dissapoint you on your trip to Japan. Thank you for seeing this Video Game Peek, and see you later.

Next Indigo Episode Trailer
    The Legend of the Mystical Ninja was a great action-adventure game.
    In the next episode, we're going to look at a game which is one of the worst action-adventure game ever. It was released for the Master System, by the way.

Ness Stay tuned for the next episode! It won't dissapoint you, as always. YOSHI!
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Custom Title : Powered Up
    Internet Browser : Mozilla Firefox

User Points : 2147483647
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Splatoon

Post by Winters Thief Zero Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:12 pm

Hm, you've actually made me really interested in this game, it seems pretty cool. Can't wait for your next one.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 5:26 pm