The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

The Nintendo Forum Site

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
Gameguy1996
TheFrozenFairy
Winters Thief Zero
7 posters

Is 2D Mario obsolete now?

Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Custom Title : Powered Up
    Internet Browser : Mozilla Firefox

User Points : 2147483647
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Splatoon

Is 2D Mario obsolete now? Empty Is 2D Mario obsolete now?

Post by Winters Thief Zero Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:53 pm

With the release of Super Mario Maker, it almost seems as though Nintendo is making the traditional 2D Mario series obsolete. We can now make levels in the style of any previous 2D Mario game outside of the oddball ones like Mario 2, using most assets from those games as well, meaning you can basically design any Mario level imaginable outside of the few omissions from Super Mario Maker.

Now the question is, will we see more 2D Mario? Any future normal installments will seem obsolete by default simply because we could create them ourselves already.

Honestly I think we will, but I hope this forces them to be more creative with it. They don't have to continue with NSMB unless it's actually "new" since nothing will really feel like a full game now that we can make pretty much any level they could imagine. I think this will just make future 2D Mario titles more refreshing and new, but I do think it'll continue.
    TheFrozenFairy
    TheFrozenFairy

Custom Title : Frigid Fairy of the Forest

User Points : 993

Is 2D Mario obsolete now? Empty Re: Is 2D Mario obsolete now?

Post by TheFrozenFairy Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:08 pm

I doubt they would end the 2D Mario platformers. Super Mario Maker will probably mean we won't see one for awhile and they will start development on another 3D one (If they haven't already). Mario Maker does make them obsolete if they continue to make them like most of the current ones, sure more power ups but I wouldn't be interested in just new power ups honestly. I'd love for them to be much more creative and new with the 2D platformers like they do with the most of the 3D ones. I enjoyed the 3D ones more for some reason. I beat the first two NSMB games but I couldn't make much progress in NSMB 2 and NSMBU due to lack of interest in them. So I hope they can keep 2D Mario games more fresh and interesting because they were great and they will likely continue after Super Mario Maker.
    Gameguy1996
    Gameguy1996
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Internet Browser : Safari

User Points : 12861

Post by Gameguy1996 Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:14 pm

The next 2D Mario is likely in the works for the NX right now and with Super Mario Maker you still can't recreate every level with the tools they give you. I really don't think they would have made Super Mario Maker at all if they where not thinking outside of the box for the next game in the New Super Mario Bros series as while.
    Yoshiman222
    Yoshiman222
    Samus Aran
    Samus Aran

User Points : 307

Post by Yoshiman222 Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:05 am

It's probably not the end. I mean, let's be real - there are some features from the NSMB series that are NOT in Mario Maker.

Examples - Multiplayer, Bosses (Bowser/Bowser Jr. Excluded), ? Switches (the ones in the NSMBU are essentially P-switches), ! Switches, Lots of enemies (some favs of mine I haven't seen in Super Mario Maker atm include Fire Chomps, Fire and Boomerang Bros., Cheep Chomps), specailized platforms (including the bone coaster (the long ones), number platforms (that drop in count for each object on, stops moving at 0), tilt platforms (NSMBWii/U)) just to name some things.

...not saying that they should take a break for a while after the release of the game, that is. Just expand and do what I've listed above in the main series (But the listed enemies I would love to see in SMM at one point tbh). Razz
    Luma Party
    Luma Party
    Link
    Link

Custom Title : The Luma
    User Points : 2765

Post by Luma Party Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:47 am

I complete expect NX to have a New Super Mario Bros. game within the first year of release.
    But really, those games are getting a little boring, since the only real new things we've gotten from there lately are items and Nabbit's, the story is lacking.
    They've got to make the next one look spectacular.
    queenzelda
    queenzelda
    Lady Queen
    Lady Queen

Custom Title : Gengar Master
    Internet Browser : Google Chrome

User Points : 8540
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : The Legend of Zelda & Pokemonz

Post by queenzelda Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:47 pm

I doubt it. Tbh; I sort of expect Nintendo to be lazy & just use some already made lvls; retool them & use them in their next 2D Mario installment. Razz
    Dark Jester
    Dark Jester
    Ness
    Ness

Custom Title : Always a way!
    Internet Browser : Google Chrome

User Points : 1604
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Pokemon: Black and White

Post by Dark Jester Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:34 pm

Winters Thief Zero wrote:Honestly I think we will, but I hope this forces them to be more creative with it. They don't have to continue with NSMB unless it's actually "new" since nothing will really feel like a full game now that we can make pretty much any level they could imagine. I think this will just make future 2D Mario titles more refreshing and new, but I do think it'll continue.

This.

I literally can't add anymore to that statement. I feel this is the end of the NSMB series as we know it now, they can't get away with just rehashing the same deal as players can literally do it all themselves now. 

If they make a new NSMB game (or just a new 2D Mario) they'll have to focus on what made 2 different from World or even the very minor things that makes the NSMB titles different; The Power-Ups, design and the engine. 

It's a lot harder as those main series titles were developed during a time where platforming as a genre was getting bigger and evolving alongside these games, they are going to have to be a little experimental and risky if they really want to pull out the next innovative thing that can make a 2D Mario game as memorable as the originals or new big 3D titles like Galaxy or 3D World.
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Custom Title : Powered Up

User Points : 2147483647
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Splatoon

Post by Winters Thief Zero Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:21 pm

^ Exactly, and I feel that's the reason all of the 2D Mario titles preceding New Super Mario Bros. are all regarded as classics, the technology was getting better allowing them to do more things with it. Now that the tech is as great as it is, it's harder to do more with the exact same concept. They used to be able to add more that still made it feel fresh even despite being the same formula, but they need a new concept now. I'm just excited to see what they come up with. (assuming they actually do that, hopefully they realize not many people will buy it when they can just create their own levels instead)

And honestly that's why I'm wondering if they'll even bother, they could just stick with 3D Mario instead, knowing each new entry will do something different since there is more they can do with a 3D platformer. Maybe they just don't want to mess up the 2D games' legacy for whatever reason. I mean this isn't an untalented dev team, look at the Pikmin games.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:12 am