The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

The Nintendo Forum Site

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Polar
Luma Party
6 posters

Sakurai Considered Heihachi from Tekken to be a fighter

Luma Party
    Luma Party
    Link
    Link

Custom Title : The Luma
    User Points : 2765

Sakurai Considered Heihachi from Tekken to be a fighter  Empty Sakurai Considered Heihachi from Tekken to be a fighter

Post by Luma Party Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:10 pm

This comes from a translation from Sakurai's book.

Masahiro Sakurai wrote:Interviewer: Between Bandai and Namco, were there any other strong candidates for inclusion as a fighter?

Sakurai: There were none. We basically thought of all the characters at the start of development. We decided on characters we knew we could make. However, there were a few in consideration, such as Heihachi from “Tekken.”

Interviewer: Heihachi!

Sakurai: That’s right. However, implementing Heihachi’s movement in Smash would be difficult…

Interviewer: It reminds me of the reaction when Snake was from “Metal Gear” was announced.

Sakurai: We’ll never top the shock of that reveal. But it all depends on the presentation. People were extremely excited when Megaman was revealed.

Interviewer: If Heihachi was included, I start to imagine that one of his palette swaps would have been him in his fundoshi [1] (laughs).

Sakurai: If we did that, we’d end getting in trouble with CERO [2] again (laughs).

Interesting, course he said he didn't like fighting characters in Smash, but Little Mac and Ryu both got in.
    Heihachi ended up with a Mii Fighter DLC costume though.
    Polar
    Polar
    Fox McCloud
    Fox McCloud

Internet Browser : Google Chrome

User Points : 611
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Paper Mario

Sakurai Considered Heihachi from Tekken to be a fighter  Empty Re: Sakurai Considered Heihachi from Tekken to be a fighter

Post by Polar Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:47 pm

Ughhhhh Heihachi is so boring he's just some old man who even cares about him

If they do choose someone from Tekken, it should be Nina, y'know that actually interesting character.
    TheFrozenFairy
    TheFrozenFairy

Custom Title : Frigid Fairy of the Forest
    Internet Browser : Mozilla Firefox

User Points : 993

Sakurai Considered Heihachi from Tekken to be a fighter  Empty Re: Sakurai Considered Heihachi from Tekken to be a fighter

Post by TheFrozenFairy Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:50 pm

Interesting that he was considered to be a playable fighter at the start of development. Could have been an interesting fighter but I don't know that. I think It's fine we got the Mii Fighter costume instead, maybe him being considered was why we got the costume. I though it was included to have more fighting game crossovers.
    Gameguy1996
    Gameguy1996
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Internet Browser : Safari

User Points : 12861

Post by Gameguy1996 Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:51 pm

I'm glad he did not make it in since Ryu was a better fit and I guess Sakurai give Mii outfits to some characters he thought about adding.
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Custom Title : Powered Up

User Points : 2147483647
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Splatoon

Post by Winters Thief Zero Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:34 pm

It's interesting that he was being considered, but basically what Polar said. He's a pretty boring character and I'm really glad they chose Ryu over him. (although, Ryu isn't the most exciting character either if I'm being honest :p But I still want to download him at some point)
    The Shattered Legacy
    The Shattered Legacy
    Samus Aran
    Samus Aran

Custom Title : Keeper of Tasseled Lilies
    User Points : 244

Post by The Shattered Legacy Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:09 am

Why are we considering Little Mac a character from a fighting game again??

Tbh I've never been into Tekken an I think aesthetically Ryu fits a bit more than Heihachi ever would as a full character
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Custom Title : Powered Up

User Points : 2147483647
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Splatoon

Post by Winters Thief Zero Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:23 pm

^ I don't know, I don't really agree with that either...yeah, he's from a boxing game, so obviously that could be considered "fighting", but I'm pretty sure when Sakurai made that statement he was talking about characters from fighting games, and Punch-Out really isn't one.

And yeah Ryu definitely fits in a lot better visually, although I'm sure they could've fit Heihachi in with a little editing.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:52 pm