The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

The Nintendo Forum Site

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Dark Jester
    Dark Jester
    Ness
    Ness

Custom Title : Always a way!
    Internet Browser : Google Chrome

User Points : 1604
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Pokemon: Black and White

New Super Mario Bros. Wii Empty New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Post by Dark Jester Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:14 pm

Assuming that this thread was for the DS one (even if it does say "games" in it's description. I thought it'd be nicer to have two threads going... (since there is a Wii U thread going too...)

NSMBWii is a really nice addition to the Mario series, like most (if not, all) Mario games there is indeed fun to be have with this one. As the style of the game implies: it's a real throwback to the SMB days back on the NES.

Now, in my opinion this is where it's actually lacking. When it comes to Mario games of today I really expect more. This game seems to scared to venture out and give us something truly new. The first NSMB I felt has an exception, it was the first game of the series was just setting ground for the Reboot (and on a portable console too!)

But this here wii version of the game sadly don't live up to any of the sequels of the original Super Mario Brothers. 3 and World really ventured out with it's level design, music and even art direction. This game seems like it's really holding back from what could be a classic yet "new" Mario Adventure.

The items in the game feel a tad lacking, they work fine but there just isn't anything special about them, not like what we've seen in Galaxy. Also, some of the gimmicks they added were underused, even if they were good. Such as moving platforms with the controller itself, or being able to ride on Yoshi. (You could even take Yoshi to any level back on world)

The games other biggest feature was the Multiplayer, to me it just didn't work so great. Rather than feeling like you were working with your friends, it just felt like you were playing the same single player game at the same time as your friends. The lack of online was also inexcusable.

But overall: It's still a classy little adventure and has nice worlds to explore and music to listen to, even if it is all lacking, its still a game to pick up if you haven't yet, just for the sake of having a new 2D Mario to play. (Just don't expect too much from it!)

So, what do you guys think? Disagree with what I said? Where do you stand when it comes to NSMBWii?
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Custom Title : Powered Up
    Internet Browser : Mozilla Firefox

User Points : 2147483647
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Splatoon

New Super Mario Bros. Wii Empty Re: New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Post by Winters Thief Zero Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:20 pm

Well, I actually didn't realize we didn't already have a thread for this game. Razz

I think NSMBW is an alright game, just nothing special. While it is fun if you're playing multiplayer, single player is just...boring. The level design isn't very good, not counting World 7 which I think is amazing. :3 This is my least favorite New Super Mario Bros. game though, the others were a lot more fun to play through. In this one I wasn't even motivated to get all the Star Coins since it was fairly boring.
    Dark Jester
    Dark Jester
    Ness
    Ness

Post by Dark Jester Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:49 pm

I think we share the same opinion here then, except I didn't see much in multiplayer at all. Every time I played it the "Put yourself in a Bubble" button was just used too cheaply... maybe I wasn't playing with the right people, but it just seem cluttered and not too far off from single player...

As for world 7, yeah, I do recall that world was pretty awesome. Same with world 6... although it might of just been some levels on world 6.

After looking at some gameplay of NSMBWii U I noticed that these two games loo so much alike, it's unreal. By the looks of things this series still hasn't gone in an interesting direction at all...
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Winters Thief Zero Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:57 pm

^ Yep, that would be true. There are a few minor differences though, like the squirrel suit and boost mode. And HD obviously... (I'd say it's worth buying thiugh for the challenges, the main mode is alright though.)

Anyway, the bubbles, hm, well they do make it much easier than it should be I suppose.
    Dark Jester
    Dark Jester
    Ness
    Ness

Post by Dark Jester Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:16 pm

The game really didn't need to be any easier, some challenge was needed, like the old days.

So, Challenge mode, is that like the funny maps you could download on NSMB2 game?
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Winters Thief Zero Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:18 pm

^ No...that's what Boost Rush is like. Challenge mode is a bunch of these, well...challenges! Basically you have an objective to complete in each of them, such as getting all the coins, or defeating all the enemies. And they really are challenging. Razz (I love how we're talking about NSMBU in the NSMBW thread XP)
    Dark Jester
    Dark Jester
    Ness
    Ness

Post by Dark Jester Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:59 pm

Well, I guess we have a right to compare Wii to U and DS, since it's splat right in the middle, and honestly I don't think that would of improved the gameplay of Wii too much...

I return back to the point of the golden coins you mentioned, it just seems pointless to have to go back to those levels just to do one extra thing. (Infact, the idea of getting those coins seems more appealing to me than killing all the enemies in a stage, to be honest. XD)
    Gameguy1996
    Gameguy1996
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Internet Browser : Safari

User Points : 12861

Post by Gameguy1996 Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:51 pm

Dark Jester wrote:The game really didn't need to be any easier, some challenge was needed, like the old days.

So, Challenge mode, is that like the funny maps you could download on NSMB2 game?

The game was made so any age can play and some of the star coins were kind of hard to find.

I liked playing this a few years ago, but the only things that were new were some of the powerups and some of the later worlds like world 6 and 7 like you guys said. The Galaxy games were more enjoyable then this game because you could take your time in a level and there was more story.
    Dark Jester
    Dark Jester
    Ness
    Ness

Post by Dark Jester Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:12 pm

A fair point, but I have to disagree. Even with "children" or "parents" in mind you still have to remember that the original SMB was also played by kids of all ages, and so was SMB3. The level of challenge of these games is what made them legendary. Is there even anything CLOSE to the original world 8 in the NSMB series?

The galaxy games (to me) were not enjoyable because it went at a slower pace and has a story to follow, but because it was designed so well. Not only did it look stunning but it added so many new aspects to the game it felt so fresh yet familiar. Even the sequel failed to repeat anything the first did, that's how much thought they put into those games... they had enough for two!

It's that spark that NSMB is missing from being just as great as other Mario Classics.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 5:44 pm