The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

The Nintendo Forum Site

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Marowak
TheFrozenFairy
6 posters

Grinding in Video Games

TheFrozenFairy
    TheFrozenFairy

Custom Title : Frigid Fairy of the Forest
    Internet Browser : Mozilla Firefox

User Points : 993

Grinding in Video Games Empty Grinding in Video Games

Post by TheFrozenFairy Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:23 am

There are times where it is a choice or required to get past a difficult opponent or even destroy everything. Not exclusive to RPGs and similar games with experience and level ups but is very common there. Players have plenty of reasons for it and of course it is disliked as well. Some do enjoy it. Not always used for experience points.

Personally as I enjoy RPGs the most I don't mind some amounts of grinding but too much gets boring eventually. I don't enjoy doing it too much to keep things challenging. I like to grind post-game to the max level unless the maximum level is absurdly high.

What are your opinions on it?
    Marowak
    Marowak
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Custom Title : Mari
    User Points : 2927
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Legend of Metroid Emblem Bros Story X/Y

Grinding in Video Games Empty Re: Grinding in Video Games

Post by Marowak Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:09 am

I'm generally okay when I need to go up like one level, but when I realize that I'm really underpowered and have to spend hours to grind I get a little upset. Or for certain requirements that want you to gather money and items from rare chests, never, never enjoyed having to continuously reload the area in hopes of finding it.
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Custom Title : Powered Up
    Internet Browser : Mozilla Firefox

User Points : 2147483647
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Splatoon

Post by Winters Thief Zero Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:41 pm

Really it depends on the type of game. If I'm still going to have fun grinding (whether that be battling enemies in a JRPG or getting fruits and stuff in Animal Crossing) then I'm perfectly content with it, it'll make me more powerful while still enjoying the game. Sometimes, however, I don't like it, specifically in Pokemon, where battling the less powerful Pokemon is really boring but still tedious and I find it more annoying than anything else, especially since you have 6 Pokemon in your party (and more you might have to grind with later) unlike most RPGs where you'd have less party members. But maybe it's just because I'm not a big fan of Pokemon in general.
    queenzelda
    queenzelda
    Lady Queen
    Lady Queen

Custom Title : Gengar Master
    Internet Browser : Google Chrome

User Points : 8540
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : The Legend of Zelda & Pokemonz

Post by queenzelda Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:45 pm

Personally I only grind in a video game if I HAVE TO. Like with Blue Dragon I had to grind in order to get through an area in order to beat the boss that was about 3 lvls hard. OMG. My sweetie Jing found a way to get me to the point where I didn't have to lvl up much but I did end up SP grinding for a lot of jobs the characters had & once they were set getting through that boss was a breeze. But it's not that way most games, I got lucky with Blue Dragon. I tend to battle against everything that I can when I play so I don't have to grind all that much, I just usually tend not to cause I just want the story & I tend to ignore grinding because I can. My way of playing has been that as long as I have enough items to get me through a battle I'm fine & it usually works out for me. Unless it doesn't & I just grind some more. :p
    Kyng
    Kyng
    Ness
    Ness

Internet Browser : Google Chrome

User Points : 1295

Post by Kyng Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:07 pm

I hate grinding. I never liked it much to begin with, but now that I'm working full-time, I have much less time for gaming than I used to. And what time I do have gets used on games that are less boring and repetitive. 

(That's probably why I like FTL so much. It has tonnes of replay value, but very little grinding Razz )
    Gameguy1996
    Gameguy1996
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Internet Browser : Safari

User Points : 12861

Post by Gameguy1996 Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:49 pm

It's fine in simple games. In games like Xenoblade it's a pain though if your 5 levels or so below a boss since you skipped many of the quests.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 10:07 pm