The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

The Nintendo Forum Site

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Gameguy1996
Luma Party
6 posters

Single-Screen Handhelds

Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Custom Title : Powered Up
    Internet Browser : Mozilla Firefox

User Points : 2147483647
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Splatoon

Single-Screen Handhelds Empty Single-Screen Handhelds

Post by Winters Thief Zero Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:57 pm

What do you think of single-screen handhelds? Yes, I know a vast majority of handheld game consoles DO only have one screen. However, with the 3DS of course being the more popular of current handhelds (almost nobody owns a Vita, and let's be honest, nobody wants one anyway...) most are used to having the dual screens now.

I personally can't stand single-screen handhelds now. After playing my Game Boy Advance for the first time in months, and trying out the Vita recently, I realized not having 2 screens is terrible. It more easily allows me to get different views, use different commands, or do things on the bottom screen while I'm still playing on the top screen, it allows for more creative games, etc. I really don't think I would be very happy with a new handheld that only has one screen in the future honestly, having 2 screens just makes the experience so much better. I'm not just used to dual screens now, I believe they are pretty much a necessity in handhelds at this point.

What do you think?
    Luma Party
    Luma Party
    Link
    Link

Custom Title : The Luma
    User Points : 2765

Single-Screen Handhelds Empty Re: Single-Screen Handhelds

Post by Luma Party Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:11 pm

I didn't mind single-screens back before the DS, but now, they're annoying.
    It doesn't seem right to me.
    Gameguy1996
    Gameguy1996
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Internet Browser : Safari

User Points : 12861

Post by Gameguy1996 Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:19 pm

After playing my 3DS for so long I never want back to my PSP or Gameboy Advance.

I don't mind having just a single screen. Though have an extra one is always nice.
    Frost-Knight
    Frost-Knight
    Pikachu
    Pikachu

User Points : 126

Post by Frost-Knight Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:55 am

I don't mind single screen consoles. Dual screens are helpful for some games and can add a lot to the gameplay, but there are still games I think work just as well on single and dual screen consoles.

I don't know if I'd want Nintendo to go back to one screen on their handhelds. They make good use of the dual screens in most games, and I don't see what they could earn from switching back to one.
    queenzelda
    queenzelda
    Lady Queen
    Lady Queen

Custom Title : Gengar Master
    Internet Browser : Google Chrome

User Points : 8540
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : The Legend of Zelda & Pokemonz

Post by queenzelda Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:07 pm

I never thought about it until now but having one screen is probably why I don't play on my PSP as much as I do my 3DS. I'm so used to two screens that having just one screen to play a game on just seems so odd otherwise.. Yet when it comes to console gaming having just a tv to play the game on is fine. It's kind of weird how I'm used to two screens for handheld gaming where as when I'm gaming on the tv with a larger console it's completely different. I suppose it's all in what you get used to is my thought on it.
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Winters Thief Zero Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:05 pm

^ Maybe it's because the TV screen used for home consoles can fit quite a bit more than handheld screens. (even if the TV you're using is small, no doubt is it's screen a lot bigger than the 3DS or any other handheld) And probably because the dual screen idea has really only been used in handhelds. Yeah the Wii U has the Gamepad, and PS4 kind of-ish has the Vita as a controller for a few games, but home consoles have never really gone to the extent of handhelds with the dual screens.

But otherwise I have no idea, it is kind of strange. I'm also fine with having just one screen on home consoles, although the Wii U Gamepad is certainly nice to have.
    queenzelda
    queenzelda
    Lady Queen
    Lady Queen

Custom Title : Gengar Master
    Internet Browser : Google Chrome

User Points : 8540
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : The Legend of Zelda & Pokemonz

Post by queenzelda Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:12 pm

Well if I wanted to; I could argue that the Wii U is more of a duel screen then the other larger consoles on the market but then I'd be posting about it all day & I'd rather not. XD I have yet to play the PS4 with it's weird controller so I have no idea if I'd even consider it's controller as an extra screen. I guess you'd have to since technically it is a smaller screen; it's just on a controller instead of one that's the size of large Ipad. XD

I don't really like that I have to use the Gamepad though it's huge, bulky & is always in my way. I feel more comfortable with a smaller controller if given the opportunity to use one when ever I play a game on the Wii U I always tend to opt out for the Wii mote plus & the nunchucks for my controls.

Oh wait; I need to stay on topic. XD Sorry about that. Any who.. When ever I play any game on my PSP I tend to use the PSP to tv cords that I have for it & I can play games with it fine that way. Otherwise my PSP is sort of a paperweight otherwise. It's so sad really since I'd love to finish playing a few PSP titles that I have. Ah well, one of these days! xD
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Winters Thief Zero Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:58 pm

^ Really? I personally think the Wii U Gamepad is one of the most comfortable controllers I've ever used, and the touch screen is really nice and adds quite a bit to many of it's games. I also prefer using the Pro Controller or Wii Remote for a few specific games, but for the most part it's a really great controller in my opinion. And yeah, the PS4's controller really only has a touch pad, it has no display or anything, so it really doesn't count, I just thought I'd mention it. Razz

King Atem
    King Atem
    Ness
    Ness

Custom Title : PlayStation King

User Points : 1568
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Legend of Zelda, Mario 'n Pokemon.

Post by King Atem Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:51 pm

Personally I don't mind the single screen I feel that it's a nice change from playing a two screened hand held console otherwise. -shrugs-

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 11:45 pm