The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

The Nintendo Forum Site

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Nino
Winters Thief Zero
6 posters

Nintendo Patents Handheld with Swapable Slide Pad/Control Pad

Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Custom Title : Powered Up
    Internet Browser : Mozilla Firefox

User Points : 2147483647
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Splatoon

Nintendo Patents Handheld with Swapable Slide Pad/Control Pad Empty Nintendo Patents Handheld with Swapable Slide Pad/Control Pad

Post by Winters Thief Zero Thu May 01, 2014 3:35 pm

Nintendo has filed a patent for a handheld console that features swapable slide pads and control pads. Here's a picture:

Nintendo Patents Handheld with Swapable Slide Pad/Control Pad Medium_image-536263314150504ee5b90000-coalesced

I think this is a cool idea, but if they actually use this in their next handheld, I hope it isn't the "main" feature and is just a cool addition. But I do think it'll be interesting, since some people would find it easier to switch them to different places. Also, it had double slide pads and double control pads in another image. (which I can't find now...)
    Nino
    Nino
    Donkey Kong
    Donkey Kong

Custom Title : Do my best!
    User Points : 1420
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Pokemon Ultra Sun

Nintendo Patents Handheld with Swapable Slide Pad/Control Pad Empty Re: Nintendo Patents Handheld with Swapable Slide Pad/Control Pad

Post by Nino Thu May 01, 2014 6:15 pm

Sounds like a neat concept, though we don't know how gameplay would be affected yet.
    King Atem
    King Atem
    Ness
    Ness

Custom Title : PlayStation King

User Points : 1568
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Legend of Zelda, Mario 'n Pokemon.

Nintendo Patents Handheld with Swapable Slide Pad/Control Pad Empty Re: Nintendo Patents Handheld with Swapable Slide Pad/Control Pad

Post by King Atem Thu May 01, 2014 6:54 pm

I'm thinking that the slide feature could be used for camera options in game myself; still it's an interesting idea.
    queenzelda
    queenzelda
    Lady Queen
    Lady Queen

Custom Title : Gengar Master
    Internet Browser : Google Chrome

User Points : 8540
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : The Legend of Zelda & Pokemonz

Post by queenzelda Thu May 01, 2014 7:58 pm

Hopefully this 'idea' will be used & not ignored is my take. I'm sure Nintendo has patented a lot of stuff but never did anything with it.
    Luma Party
    Luma Party
    Link
    Link

Custom Title : The Luma
    User Points : 2765

Post by Luma Party Thu May 01, 2014 9:29 pm

^Not purposely though.
    It costs money to patent things, you wan to follow through.

Not too interesting, still no important features announced yet.
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Winters Thief Zero Thu May 01, 2014 9:41 pm

@Luma and Jinx
    Well, really, it does affect gameplay if you think about it. Maybe not directly in a certain game (unless some games come up with really creative ways to use it) but some people may like to have a control pad on one side, slide pad on the other;or slide pads on both sides of the handheld. So it really just depends on how you think about it.

@Queen
    Yeah same here. But like Luma said, I'm sure they wouldn't purposely not make use of it, since patents do cost money, and they'd want to use something they patented. I do think it's one of the more unique ideas they've patented though, so I'd honestly be disappointed if it weren't used. Razz XD
    Gameguy1996
    Gameguy1996
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Internet Browser : Safari

User Points : 12861

Post by Gameguy1996 Thu May 01, 2014 11:16 pm

We might see something like this at E3 since IGN and VideoGamer have said that Nintendo may be showing new Hardware at E3. I also think that the slide feature could work like a camera like Yusei said.
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Winters Thief Zero Fri May 02, 2014 3:11 pm

What do you mean though? In what way could it work like a camera?
    queenzelda
    queenzelda
    Lady Queen
    Lady Queen

Post by queenzelda Fri May 02, 2014 3:37 pm

Zero Revolution wrote:What do you mean though? In what way could it work like a camera?
    Well you know the added extra circular pad that you can purchase for certain games (like Kingdom Hearts)? It's mostly used in game as an extra added camera feature.

My thought is that for example: say you pop out the circle pad & then you could then use it in order to look around an area with the in game camera.
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Winters Thief Zero Fri May 02, 2014 3:39 pm

Ah okay, so like camera controls in an FPS (or any game for that matter) when the console has dual control sticks. (or circle pads in this case) I thought Yusei and Gameguy meant that it would work as an actual camera, and I had no idea where that was coming from. Razz XD
    queenzelda
    queenzelda
    Lady Queen
    Lady Queen

Post by queenzelda Fri May 02, 2014 3:42 pm

Well usually the extra circle pad is used for in game camera's so that you're given the option to look around a little better. It'd be funny if Yusei & Gamebuy are right about what Nintendo is going to end up using the pop out feature for.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:21 pm