The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

The Nintendo Forum Site

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
bayonetta
King Atem
Winters Thief Zero
Gameguy1996
queenzelda
9 posters

Splatoon

Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Custom Title : Powered Up
    Internet Browser : Mozilla Firefox

User Points : 2147483647
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Splatoon

Splatoon Empty Splatoon

Post by Winters Thief Zero Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:14 pm

This game doesn't look that great, so I hope it's just an eShop title. But the idea is at least kind of interesting, they just don't seem to do much with it.

Last edited by Winters Thief Zero on Sun May 10, 2015 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total
    queenzelda
    queenzelda
    Lady Queen
    Lady Queen

Custom Title : Gengar Master
    Internet Browser : Google Chrome

User Points : 8540
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : The Legend of Zelda & Pokemonz

Splatoon Empty Re: Splatoon

Post by queenzelda Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:30 pm

The characters remind me a lot of the kids from the "Kids Next Door" series that was popular on CN for a while. xp
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Winters Thief Zero Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:59 pm

^ So I'm not the only one who thought that. XD I do kind of like their designs, but they all look exactly the same with different colors...
    Gameguy1996
    Gameguy1996
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Internet Browser : Safari

User Points : 12861

Post by Gameguy1996 Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:37 pm

They kind of do now and it seems like they got the idea of this game from Slime Time Live.

Also here's some gameplay from the Nintendo Treehouse demo.

It's cool how you can play with up to 8 players but, I'm still not sure about this game until I try a demo of it or something.
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Winters Thief Zero Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:05 pm

Yeah, and it does look fun, but just very repetitive. I hope they don't try to release this as a full retail game...
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Winters Thief Zero Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:57 pm

Does anyone think there will even be a local multiplayer mode for Splatoon? I mean, it would be very strange for there not to be, but there are a few things that the Wii U Gamepad is necessary in order to perform. (like doing the big squid jump thing) And the Gamepad player would have the advantage by being able to see the map. And even then, you'd only be able to have 2 players at once...
    Gameguy1996
    Gameguy1996
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Post by Gameguy1996 Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:13 am

It looks like you got you answer Zero.

Go Nintendo wrote:The following info comes from a GameRant interview with project lead Tsubasa Sakaguchi...

On release date and single/multiplayer:

“First of all, our plan is to release this as a full retail packaged software in 2015… the first half of 2015. And because we’re releasing this as a full software title, we of course plan to include a single-player mode but then also a one-on-one multiplayer mode that can be played without connecting to the Internet.”

On one-on-one local multiplayer:

“What we can tell you about the one-on-one, at least, is that one player will be using the GamePad, one player will be using the Pro Controller. And we’re actually thinking of having that one-on-one mode be something kinda completely different from the four-on-four one where it’ll be, you know, kind of a lot more stalking and hiding in the ink. It’ll be much more like a quiet mode in a sense.

And, you know, we’ve progressed [in development] at least to that point, but in terms of what we’re going to do with the screens – whether we’re going to have one person on the TV and one person on the GamePad – we’re not sure yet.”

http://gamerant.com/splatoon-single-player-splitscreen-multiplayer-details/

It sounds like the game is going to be $60 and I really want to know about the single player mode. I also don't know how playing on the Pro Controller will work unless the Gamepad player can only look on the Gamepad and not on the TV.
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Winters Thief Zero Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:10 am

I was expecting it to be full priced, but it is nice to know for sure. I'm guessing there will also be some other modes, features, maps, moves, etc. than what was shown at E3. The 1-on-1 mode does seem fun, but it's strange that they're still not going to use 2 Gamepads when the Wii U supports it.
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Winters Thief Zero Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:00 am

Apparently Splatoon was going to be an established IP, but changed to something new. They couldn't find a character that made sense for the game, which makes sense, it looks like it'd be hard to do this with their current characters.

GI: I’ve heard that experimental ideas within Nintendo typically get placed into established IP. Were the Splatoon mechanics ever considered for us with an established Nintendo IP?

HN: With us, first we’re making the game, and then we think what kind of characters we would use with it, and obviously, one of those choices is established IP.

Of course, the most important thing is what matches. What matches with the gameplay and the abilities you are giving to the player, the play style, and ultimately what graphically will match the game you want to make. In the case of this game, we found that it really had to be new characters to would fit this game we were making. It would be kind of weird if Mario got splattered with ink and then exploded.

What about Super Mario Sunshine? Mario dealt with ink and fired liquid from a hose in that game.

Yeah, but it’s not like he blew up or anything [laughs].

First we started with the ability to shoot ink but then we added the ability to swim really fast through it, and as we kept adding more abilities to what the player was able to do, there was this kind of moment where we all realized, “Oh yeah, this would work really well with squids.”

Making them squids, it made a lot of the actions easy to explain and also made it really fun, and it was also this idea where all the actions we wanted to include in the game could be built around the idea of squids to get them all in there.

You can see all our existing IP on this Smash Bros. poster right here [there was a Smash Bros. poster in the interview room]. When we had a really good long think about, would one of those fit it? Or should this new squid idea be the way to go? we realized squids were definitely the only thing we could go with. If the Wii Fit Trainer would have been the perfect character for this game, we would have gone with the Wii Fit Trainer [laughs].

GI: Will there be a campaign or a story? I would like to learn more about these characters, which was something I wasn’t really getting just playing multiplayer.

HN: Ultimately, we’re looking at getting Splatoon out as a full retail packaged software in the first half of 2015. Our plans are to create, maybe for the benefit of the people who cannot connect online, a single-player mode and a local one-on-one mode.

Source

I'm honestly glad they made this a new IP, it seems to be getting a lot of attention. Maybe it wouldn't have gotten as much if they just made it a Mario game or something.
    Gameguy1996
    Gameguy1996
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Post by Gameguy1996 Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:09 pm

Here's the discussion video from GameXplain.

They bring up a good idea about the having a story mode and it sucks that the left and right movement is hard to control.
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Winters Thief Zero Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:15 pm

I was thinking the single-player campaign would basically be a story mode anyway. And maybe they were just controlling it incorrectly? I doubt left and right movement would be that much worse if it works fine up and down.
    Gameguy1996
    Gameguy1996
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Post by Gameguy1996 Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:59 pm

Here's a new trailer.

I'm not sure about the single player yet since I would need to see gameplay but, it does seem decent and not thrown on.
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Winters Thief Zero Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:00 pm

THIS GAME...

This looks amazing! I mean, I thought it would be good, but I wasn't expecting THIS! The single player campaign looks fantastic, I like those Squid guys, and the 8-Bit level. And it looks to have platforming elements. As for the multiplayer of course that's going to be good, and I like the character outfits.
    queenzelda
    queenzelda
    Lady Queen
    Lady Queen

Custom Title : Gengar Master
    Internet Browser : Google Chrome

User Points : 8540
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : The Legend of Zelda & Pokemonz

Post by queenzelda Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:54 pm

Looks good so far. My only problem with this game is that I'd never par-take of the multiplayer aspect though. XD

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:09 am