The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

The Nintendo Forum Site

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
bayonetta
King Atem
Winters Thief Zero
Gameguy1996
queenzelda
9 posters

Splatoon

Gameguy1996
    Gameguy1996
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Internet Browser : Safari

User Points : 12861

Splatoon - Page 7 Empty Re: Splatoon

Post by Gameguy1996 Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:22 pm

Here's the update for today.

Splatoon - Page 7 CANK1nsUcAAJI5e

Here are translations from NeoGAF user Jintor...

This weapon is the Hot Blaster.

Seems like a fireworks launcher - it fires a special ink shell a fixed distance before it detonates. Because it's an area-of-effect attack, you can hit opponents hiding in cover. The way you approach enemies is gonna be an important part of mastering this weapon.

We've obtained this clip of a Hot Blaster in action.

Looking at this, we might be able to understand the way its projectiles work. If an enemy gets hit directly, seems they'll be blasted in one shot. Most definitely something we'd like to get our hands on...

Link

It seems like the weapon will do more after a while. In the video it seemed like the normal Ink blaster though.
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Custom Title : Powered Up
    Internet Browser : Mozilla Firefox

User Points : 2147483647
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Splatoon

Post by Winters Thief Zero Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:54 pm

Seems like a really cool weapon, I hope they don't reveal every one of them in the game though, it'll be fun to see what they do as I play through it myself and buy new weapons.
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Winters Thief Zero Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:11 am

Gameguy usually posts it, but I had to, this is too great...

Splatoon - Page 7 CAdOB0HVAAAt5N9

That's the most amazing enemy design I've ever seen in any game ever. XD
    Gameguy1996
    Gameguy1996
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Post by Gameguy1996 Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:24 pm

Here's the other pic and translation details. Along with info from when Splatoon was planned to be a Mario game.

Splatoon - Page 7 CAdKicIVIAAg2kY

This guy's name is "Tate-Tako-trooper" [I think it means 'shield octo-trooper'].

It's a tongue-twister of a name, but it looks like it's a trooper who uses a shield, so...

Since it repels attacks from the front, popular strategies including sneaking behind it to attack, but you gotta be careful about it turning around and that kinda thing - basically, using your head to take it down is a necessity.

This fella's name is "Bomb Octocopter" (?)

These bomb-throwing sky-floatin' guys are probably really troublesome. You could take cover or hide in ink for a second - seems like you could take 'em out one by one, with proper timing.

*Sub weapons use a lot of ink
    *Special weapons can only be used after filling a gauge that increases the more ink you shoot.
    *Weapons come in pre-set groups of 3 (see below for 2 examples).

Main Weapon: Splat Charger - charging weapon, good for long range attacks, can make 'Ink Roads' for you and your team mates to use.
    Sub Weapon: Splash Bomb - standard bomb, explodes on impact
    Special Weapon: Bomb Rush - Allows you to shoot as many bombs as you want for a set period.

Main Weapon: .52 Gal - Stronger than the Splat Charger, but uses more ink so can'tbe fired as much.
    Sub Weapon: Splashield - Creates a curtain of ink. Good for narrow pathways to attack your opposition.
    Special Weapon: Megaphone Laser - Shoots out a powerful 'laser' of ink. Good for turning around battles.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=156473698

Time wrote:
    TIME’s third Nintendo-centric piece today is entirely based on an interview with Shigeru Miyamoto. Miyamoto further discussed Splatoon’s Mario origins, his reputation, other forms of entertainment, the platforms he found particularly fun working on, and plenty more.
    As always, we’ve rounded up the quotes below. Head past the break for Miyamoto’s comments.
    On how Mario almost starred in Splatoon…
    “At one point during development, we held a small internal review of the game. We had found that the ink-battle play mechanic was fun, and the team was working very hard to brush up on that aspect at that time, but we were losing the freshness of the game the more the team worked on it. The thing which concerned us most was the main character. It looked as if it could be found in any game and lacked uniqueness. So, I told the game’s producer and the director to even consider using Mario if we could not find the right character. I also explained to them why I was providing such a suggestion.”
    “A few weeks later, they gingerly approached me with the squid-like character, and we decided on that direction right on the spot. The director and others who nervously brought the squid character to me must have been surprised with my positive reaction, but at the time, I didn’t accept it for lack of better options. I actually thought, ‘This must be it!’ It’s fun to nurture something so unique, and I’m glad that they were able to experience bringing it to fruition.”
    On how Miyamoto doesn’t make games with a particular age group in mind…
    “Ideally we should be making things that can be enjoyed by the widest possible range of people. I like to watch theatrical performances and go to theme parks—things which are appealing to a wide range of people—and observe as a game creator. Of course, there are the dramas and movies that I am personally fond of, and I always appreciate the way these creators make their works by focusing on specific tastes. When they try to appeal to a specific group of people with their creations, however, I think they first discover an interesting theme to work on and, only afterward, determine that they should focus upon the specific audience in order to work on the theme, not vice versa.”
    “Even when we make something that we want children to enjoy, we always aim to achieve a level of quality and content that even adults can appreciate, so in other words, making something for children might even be more difficult than making something specifically for an adult audience.”
    On how Miyamoto tries not to let his reputation intimidate his design teams…
    “What I am trying to do is not to create an atmosphere where they feel like, ‘I will do better than Miyamoto does’ or ‘I will make a game just to please Miyamoto,’. Based on my own experiences, I try to encourage directors to have courage and work toward the goal they set, and pose questions to them about whether the game is actually delivering the experience to the player as envisioned. I try not to get too deeply involved in the content of the games they’re developing.”
    On how he thinks novels may be more creatively powerful than video games…
    “I have said in the past that because movies and novels are passive mediums, creators in these mediums can control how their stories are unveiled to their audiences, even irrespective of the audience’s expectation of what should happen next. All I intended to say was that in comparison it is more difficult for us to create entertainment by forcing players to embrace our own expectations regarding how they should experience game stories because video games are an active medium where players themselves think independently about which action to take next.”
    “Whichever media we are talking about, inspiring the audience’s imagination beyond what they have actually read or seen, and having them embrace that, is a fundamental essence of entertainment. I recognize that because novels are expressed solely by words on a page, they actually have the power to unlock the readers’ limitless imaginations more so than movies and video games, which present the audience with actual images, while visual images have the distinct ability to deliver messages to a broader audience more easily.”
    “Video games, on the other hand, have the unique ability to etch those images into the player’s memory because of their active role in choosing the path that led them to those images. It is this area that I think I am good at, so I am not under the illusion that I could ever become a novelist or film director myself [laughs].”
    On his view of profit-obsession as a creative roadblock…
    “I have explained—in regard to entertainment in general—that if development of products that thrive on creative uniqueness is dictated by those who prioritize sales and profits, the possibilities for the future of entertainment will be limited.”
    “So, what should we do in order to avoid it? I agree that as your question implies, the answer might be at odds with the nature of large business organizations. But at Nintendo we continue to endeavor to make such innovation possible, and we are constantly working on new ideas. If we manage to deliver them, I hope everyone will compliment our efforts.”
    On how he feels strongly about staying in the hardware side of the business…
    “We will continue to use new technology to create new ways to play, but rather than simply making more games for a predefined platform, our job is to continue to create new platforms that enable us to create fun new ways to play.”
    On Miyamoto’s favorite Nintendo platform…
    “I’ve always designed games with the perspective that it’s the designer’s job to leverage the unique characteristics of the hardware while simultaneously compensating for its weaknesses. Working on Nintendo DS and Wii was particularly fun, because of how they presented us with a challenge of inventing new styles of play.”
    Source

I like how they made foes you need to attack from behind and the Bomb guys might blow up after an attack sometimes.
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Winters Thief Zero Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:25 pm

I'm glad there will be a good variety of enemies in Splatoon. I'm wondering if that hints at the single-player campaign being fairly long? I hope so.
    Gameguy1996
    Gameguy1996
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Post by Gameguy1996 Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:07 pm

Here's today's update along with a ton of details from the preview event.

Splatoon - Page 7 CAx3M_AUgAEIwjz

UPDATE - The following translation comes from StreetsAhead over on NeoGAF...

This weapon is the 'Splacharger'.
    By compressing ink in the weapon's tank, it is capable of long-range shots and to hit your opponents with powerful blows.
    It takes time to charge these strong shots, so you will need to learn to use your sub-weapon effectively.

Our researchers have obtained video of the Splacharger in action.
    Please take a look.
    To master this weapon, it seems as though you will need to develop an intuition for how long the charge takes.

Link

The following info comes from Reggie Fils-Aimé

- Splatoon is "aiming to do for action shooters what Mario Kart did for racing."
    - this is a "major" new IP for Nintendo
    - the game is "not just about kills. It's designed to be fun no matter what your skill level is."

Link

Ranked Battles will focus purely on objective gametypes, but Nintendo specified it would be released post-launch. In order to unlock the ability to play ranked battle, a player will have to obtain level 10 in online Turf Wars, the regular battle mode shown when Splatoon debuted at E3 2104.

"Once you reach level 10, you'll be able to play Ranked Battles," a Nintendo representative told IGN at a recent hands-on event. "However, we'll be watching the global progress of how many people reach level 10 and, once that's hit a certain threshold, we'll turn that on for everyone to play."

Nintendo explained some of the reasoning behind this decision. It believes Turf War -- the mode shown at Splatoon's E3 2014 debut -- will provide players with a stable foundation of the game's core mechanics. And it emphasized these skills would be necessary to succeed in Ranked Battles.

Link

[url=

Also, Nintendo confirmed that Splatoon will not have any voice chat support
    — GameXplain (@GameXplain) March 23, 2015
    [/b]

I think the no voice chat and ranked battles not being there at the start will turn people off. I do like how Splacharger works though.
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Winters Thief Zero Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:15 pm

Wow, very interesting. Hm. I like the idea of the turf war battles being a way to start off getting to know the game's mechanics, and having the more intense ranked battles be unlocked after you're pretty used to it. I like it! I'm also just glad there's at least a couple different modes. It's not really being "released post-launch" per se, you just have to unlock it...I think the way they worded that made it seem more worrisome.

Also, about what Reggie said, YES! I'm SO glad it'll be a major new Nintendo IP, and hopefully that means sequels! I'd love to get more Splatooning done on future Nintendo consoles. Maybe even a New 3DS version.
    Luma Party
    Luma Party
    Link
    Link

Custom Title : The Luma
    User Points : 2765

Post by Luma Party Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:17 pm

Wait, no local multiplayer at all?
    Then I won't buy it.
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Winters Thief Zero Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:19 pm

^ No, they already confirmed there will be a local multiplayer mode, it just has yet to be fully revealed.
    Luma Party
    Luma Party
    Link
    Link

Post by Luma Party Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:21 pm

When did they confirm it?

Also, why is everything in bold?
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Winters Thief Zero Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:24 pm

^ They announced it at E3 last year, they said they were working on a local multiplayer mode. They then reconfirmed it a month or two ago, saying they were working on it and it would be shown off soon. I'll have to find it if you want me to give you sources.

Also I have no idea why everything is bold. Razz This isn't the first time it's happened, every once in awhile, one thread at the end of one page becomes all bold...
    Gameguy1996
    Gameguy1996
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Post by Gameguy1996 Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:18 pm

It seems like this video says that there where be no local multiplayer 

Though there's also this report.

https://twitter.com/NintenRob/status/580415413688889346/photo/1

I guess we will just go with what Corey said and say there nothing to reveal about the mode at this time.
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Winters Thief Zero Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:21 pm

A Nintendo rep said that the demo is in no way indicative of the final product when asked about the local multiplayer mode, it's still in the game, they've mentioned it multiple times, why would it just be removed like that?
    Luma Party
    Luma Party
    Link
    Link

Post by Luma Party Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:45 pm

If it's not in, I won't buy it.
    Still though, it wouldn't be removed.

Sponsored content