The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

The Nintendo Forum Site

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Should the Wii be considered 'retro' now?

queenzelda
    queenzelda
    Lady Queen
    Lady Queen

Custom Title : Gengar Master
    Internet Browser : Google Chrome

User Points : 8540
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : The Legend of Zelda & Pokemonz

Should the Wii be considered 'retro' now? Empty Should the Wii be considered 'retro' now?

Post by queenzelda Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:32 pm

What are your thoughts on this? I mean the Wii U is out now and there won't be any more Wii games made any more. So is the Wii console retro now or will it take time for the Wii console to be considered a 'retro' console?
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Custom Title : Powered Up
    Internet Browser : Mozilla Firefox

User Points : 2147483647
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Splatoon

Should the Wii be considered 'retro' now? Empty Re: Should the Wii be considered 'retro' now?

Post by Winters Thief Zero Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:35 pm

In my opinion, no. Sure, there are no new first party titles being created for Wii, but there still are others. Plus you can easily find a Wii at a game store, and I believe Nintendo is still producing Wii units.
    queenzelda
    queenzelda
    Lady Queen
    Lady Queen

Should the Wii be considered 'retro' now? Empty Re: Should the Wii be considered 'retro' now?

Post by queenzelda Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:42 pm

But why not? The Wii is last generation & what is the current generation is the Wii U. Why can't the Wii be considered a retro game console now since it's inferior to the Wii U now?

In my opinion when a new console releases to replace the older one the later should in effect become retro immediately. But that's my opinion of course. The Gamecube is considered retro and I see games for sale for it in at least 3 stores I know of that I've seen Gamecube titles in..
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Winters Thief Zero Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:49 pm

Even though it's been out for over 8 months already, I don't feel the Wii U has totally replaced Wii yet. Obviously Nintendo is no longer creating new games for it, but other third party companies are, and like I already said, Nintendo is still producing new Wii consoles. I don't think a new console being released by Nintendo means that the previous one is a 'retro' console.

Also none of the game stores I've been to have had Gamecubes or GCN games for awhile now, you're lucky. XD
    Luma Party
    Luma Party
    Link
    Link

Custom Title : The Luma
    User Points : 2765

Post by Luma Party Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:12 pm

It shouldn't.
    Nintendo must wait until after the Wii U sells more and more popular games come out before discontinuing it.
    queenzelda
    queenzelda
    Lady Queen
    Lady Queen

Post by queenzelda Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:49 pm

I'm not saying that the Wii has been discontinued.. But at what point should a console be considered retro? I mean back in the day right after the newer console was released the older one was considered retro almost immediately.

I think the same thing should be applied to the Wii in this instance. This is all my opinion though 3rd parties are making newer Wii games it'll only be for maybe a year or so before no more are made. So yea. There's that too.
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Winters Thief Zero Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:00 pm

Well, think about the PS2. Due to how many people owned a PS2, games continued to be developed for it for YEARS after the PS3 was released. Would you consider that retro?

While I doubt new games will continue being made for Wii, it's the same sorta deal, I think that a console should be considered a retro console if there is nothing new being developed for it, whether that be software or hardware. Just my opinion though.
    King Atem
    King Atem
    Ness
    Ness

Custom Title : PlayStation King

User Points : 1568
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Legend of Zelda, Mario 'n Pokemon.

Post by King Atem Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:21 pm

I tend to agree more with Queen-chan's opinion. I think once a newer console is released the later console should be considered retro at the moment of the newer system being launched. Why waste time on waiting for it to be considered to be retro when it's going to become a retro console when enough time passes any how.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 11:43 am