The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

The Nintendo Forum Site

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
bayonetta
King Atem
Winters Thief Zero
Gameguy1996
queenzelda
9 posters

Splatoon

Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Custom Title : Powered Up
    Internet Browser : Mozilla Firefox

User Points : 2147483647
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Splatoon

Splatoon - Page 9 Empty Re: Splatoon

Post by Winters Thief Zero Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:13 pm

I was wondering this earlier, how much do you guys think Splatoon will sell?

I know it's a new IP, and for Nintendo those usually don't do all that well, but I think this will at least sell over a million copies. It's a big multiplayer game, they're doing well to advertise it (so far) and show off how unique and great it is, and Wii U is in the middle of a huge drought, so it'll stand out. I just think it's a really interesting title that most Wii U owners will consider.
    Luma Party
    Luma Party
    Link
    Link

Custom Title : The Luma
    User Points : 2765

Post by Luma Party Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:53 pm

It's really hard to tell.
    It's a new game, but the Wii U still isn't doing well, but it's lack of 4-player local multiplayer in a multiplayer based-game will hurt it.
    It'll be one of the better selling games, but won't sell like Mario Kart 8 or Smash.
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Winters Thief Zero Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:32 am

The game will take up about 1.8 GB of space on your Wii U should you choose to download it.

I'm surprised at how small it is, but then again, I guess it's still larger than 3D World and a few other Wii U games that had plenty of content. Although, Mario Kart was almost 4 GB, so it does worry me a bit. It seems pretty full of content, I'm hoping so anyway.
    Luma Party
    Luma Party
    Link
    Link

Post by Luma Party Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:14 pm

I don't know why, but I think there should be a 4-player local multiplayer and 8-player online mode called "Inkling Cycling" where you race on bikes, and try to splat the other peoples lanes with ink...
    It would be interesting...
    But it's not happening.
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Winters Thief Zero Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:49 pm

^ What? That came out of nowhere. XD I do have to say it'd be interesting though, I would certainly be interested in that mode if they ever decided to do it. (which I doubt, but I mean, anything is possible, even something as outrageous as that)
    Luma Party
    Luma Party
    Link
    Link

Post by Luma Party Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:57 pm

^I know. XD
    I got on my bike the other day, and it just came to mind.
    (Maybe I should email Nintendo should they ever make Splatoon 2). XD

Say, do you guys think there will be other local multiplayer modes?
    There better be, I'm getting it launch day, Battle Dojo better not be the only local multiplayer mode.
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Winters Thief Zero Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:42 pm

^ You mean Splatwon? *badum tsh* Razz

I think there might be another mode for local play, but I honestly think they're focusing on single player and online multiplayer instead. It makes sense, I mean, those are the game's main selling points. But I think another 1 or 2 local modes are possible, it would be cool to see something other than just popping balloons. (that seems kind of boring actually lol)
    Luma Party
    Luma Party
    Link
    Link

Post by Luma Party Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:52 pm

Yeah.
    I mean, if your internet is out, you'd want to be able to something other than the single-player mode or balloon popping...
    Luma Party
    Luma Party
    Link
    Link

Post by Luma Party Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:18 pm

And I'm out on the amiibo.
    Okay the Canadian Dollar is falling so badly, the game itself will be $69.99 here.
    The amiibo 3-pack will be $39.99, which isn't bad because amiibo are now $15.99 here, but that is the price of a full 3DS game...
    I hate that now the Dollar is in this situation...
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Winters Thief Zero Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:17 pm

^ That sucks Luma, I wish they would always stay at one standard low-ish price, it's not quite fair. :/ I know it's not just because of Nintendo's pricing, but it's still just a bit unfair in my opinion. You should be able to get both at a lower price.

Gameguy1996
    Gameguy1996
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Internet Browser : Safari

User Points : 12861

Post by Gameguy1996 Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:29 pm

I'm sorry to hear that Luma and $70 for a Wii U game is a bit much.
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Winters Thief Zero Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:22 pm

Here's today's screenshot:

Splatoon - Page 9 CB8nLAnUgAAhTCB

There must be a lot of people beginning a new school life today. Could there be a school in the squid world, too? An Inkling in a school uniform has been sighted. Do Inkling high school girls like cute things as well? Like weaponry with extravagant designs. That said… wouldn’t their teachers get mad if uniforms were taken into battle?

Inkling fashion report! Check out this Inkling girl’s outfit. Cool, right? I told you fashion was paramount in Inkopolis! See how her hair color matches both her skirt and gun? That is some serious attention to detail! And look at how blinged-out her weapon is. Sooo cool! I’m suddenly questioning all of my own fashion choices. Maybe it’s time to move on from my usual sweatpants and Hawaiian shirt look…

I like that uniform, hopefully it's actually in the game as a clothing option!
    Gameguy1996
    Gameguy1996
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Post by Gameguy1996 Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:50 pm

So the outfit can only be used in the Plazza and not during gameplay I guess.
    Gameguy1996
    Gameguy1996
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Post by Gameguy1996 Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:01 pm

Here's the update for today along with other info.

Splatoon - Page 9 CCI_h-PUAAA_Hh3

This guy's name is Octo-diver. As his name suggests, he has the ability to dive in Octo Ink. If there is a pool of Ink, be careful as there is a high chance this guy is hiding in it. Aside from that, if Octos breath with gills, do they really need snorkels?

Translation note: Octo = Octopus but Octo-diver and Octo Ink sound better.

“[After] the prototype phase, we had all these ideas about the height, the ink, the characters, and the image of the character and the squid, but we couldn’t kind of filter it down to a final result that would result in a simple, fun game. And during this period, we were being scolded by Mr Miyamoto all the time." - co-director Tsubasa Sakaguchi
    "He was saying, ‘I don’t understand. What do you want to do? There’s no appeal to this game.’" - producer Hisashi Nogami
    "We had the basics and then we were like, ‘Let’s add the hiding [in ink] feature; let’s add jumping; we need height, because it’s a 3D map.’ And then we thought, ‘We need to be able to shoot up and down.’ And we realised we’d added all this stuff, and we got confused. We didn’t know what the game was about.” - director Yusuke Amano
    Link

The following details were summed up by NeoGAF user thefro...

- Main article has quotes from Amano/Sakaguchi and Nogami and talks about Edge playing the same demo build of the game the media played a few weeks back.
    - The prototype had basic block characters and the ink painting mechanic. You were invisible when you were in your own ink. Amano/Sakaguchi added in jumping, hiding in ink, and the ability to shoot up and down. After that, though, they were confused about what they wanted to do with the game. They thought they might put a squid character on the box art but they needed a humanoid character to hold the guns. They thought a "squid human" wouldn't sell.
    - Amano/Sakaguchi were scolded by Miyamoto in 2013 when doing the prototype who said "I don't understand. What do you want to do? There's no appeal to this game".
    - They had an epiphany on Jan 6, 2014 that they could have you switch between a squid and human form and they rapidly got a bunch of ideas about how you swim faster in your own ink, you slow down in enemy ink and take damage, you can swim up walls, etc.
    - Amano is a fan of "shooting games", but when he would invite friends to play with him they would get frustrated. He wants to make a game that is different that people who aren't fans of traditional shooters can play.
    - Splatoon has no voice chat and never will. Amano says: "This is coming from personal experience. When I played online games, I didn't like the negativity I got and people telling me 'You're crap. Go away'. So we wanted to focus on the positive aspects of online gaming". Amano says he's not saying that chat in an online game can't contribute to fun but they want to grab new players.
    - Confirms that there are some Splat Zone maps with more than one boxed-off area to capture. If you claim all the territories your timer starts to count down, but if your opponent captures one the timer stops.
    - The same primary weapon can come in a variation with the different sub/special weapon
    - Can start firing after a super jump right before you land
    - More online modes besides Turf War/Splat Zones
    - One respawn point per team, but you're invulnerable while on it to discourage campers.
    - A lot of the designers on the team are in their 30s, so the 90s style with street fashion and trainers is a big inspiration for the outfits
    - Trick to balancing the weapons according to Sakaguchi is to make people want a little more ("if only it could shoot a little farther/shoot faster"). They aren't going out trying to make the strongest weapon in the game.
    - 15 singleplayer challenges and "5 rare pieces of gear" for each of the 3 Amiibos
    - Q&A with Katsuya Eguchi. Thinks Splatoon IP has huge potential. Important to have things that will draw attention to the game after release (basically hints at content updates/DLC).

Link

It looks like Miyamoto got the game on the right track and I'm glad they kind of hinted at DLC.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 7:03 am