The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

The Nintendo Forum Site

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+13
Nessness
commanderedgeworth
Frost-Knight
The Shattered Legacy
Polar
TheFrozenFairy
Rosalina
Nino
Saint Fluffy~
Dark Jester
Marowak
Soupy
Gengar
17 posters

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS

Luma Party
    Luma Party
    Link
    Link

Custom Title : The Luma
    User Points : 2765

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS  - Page 52 Empty Re: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS

Post by Luma Party Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:04 am

I wish Rayman was playable...

And why Marth, Robin, Lucina, Ike but not Chrom?
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Custom Title : Powered Up
    Internet Browser : Mozilla Firefox

User Points : 2147483647
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Splatoon

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS  - Page 52 Empty Re: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS

Post by Winters Thief Zero Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:44 am

^ Chrom would be a kind of boring character in comparison imo, I prefer how they chose Lucina and Robin over Chrom for Fire Emblem Awakening characters. There was never a female Fire Emblem character in Smash Bros, and Robin is a more unique character from the other 3. And Marth and Ike were already confirmed. Razz

I wish Lucina wasn't just a clone of Marth, but I guess there's nothing much else they could do with her. Marth is my main, I prefer Lucina so I'll likely wind up using her a lot.
    Gameguy1996
    Gameguy1996
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Internet Browser : Safari

User Points : 12861

Post by Gameguy1996 Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:58 am

Sakurai wrote:Pic of the day. The Levin sword and tomes are Robin's life lines. The Levin sword can be activated by using smash attacks--you can even activate these moves in midair! However, just like in the original game, the Levin sword can be used only a limited number of times before it breaks, at which point it takes some time to regenerate. When the Levin sword is unavailable, Robin fights using the bronze sword. The way Robin launches Arcfire is kind of crazy—he or she calls down a bolt of flame from above, then launches a pillar of fire! By the way, Robin’s tome changes with each special attack.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS  - Page 52 1hxj05

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS  - Page 52 2znpxdl

It looks like you will want to swap between the Levin sword and the tomes every so often since the bronze sword is awful. It also nice to see that the tome's change often.
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Winters Thief Zero Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:18 am

So if you run out of tomes, you have to switch to the Levin Sword, but when the Levin Sword breaks, you have to switch to the Gold Sword? Robin is an interesting character. I'm not sure if I'll ever get used to using him/her though.
    Marowak
    Marowak
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Custom Title : Mari
    User Points : 2927
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Legend of Metroid Emblem Bros Story X/Y

Post by Marowak Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:35 pm

I'll probably use Robin quite often, the attack style sounds really interesting to me.
    Gameguy1996
    Gameguy1996
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Post by Gameguy1996 Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:50 am

Sakurai wrote:Pic of the day. We have Nintendogs plus cats! How could we forget them!! Just FYI, there are about five dog breeds in this game. This was me, reporting from the 3DS-exclusive stage, Living Room.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS  - Page 52 ZlCfzSLPS8AN5JkEqV

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS  - Page 52 Tumblr_n8vji2ZQJT1tpnj2ho2_500

I'm glad that the cats are part of the stage and that one looks like Sakurai's cat.

We also have more info on Robin, Captain Falcon, Lucina and why Chrom did not make the roster.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS  - Page 52 J7zsIIXhwAgC1

Go Nintendo wrote:The following was translated by a reader from Nintendo Everything...

Robin
    - Uses Levin sword for smash attacks and tomes for specials
    - If Levin sword breaks it will regenerate after some time as Sakurai explained in the picture of the day
    - Side smash: Horizontal cut with Levin sword, thunder effect adds damage; After number of uses Levin sword breaks and you will use bronze sword
    - Aerial front: If you input smash midair, you will use Levin sword (while uses last); the magazine advices to pay attention how many times it is used
    - Down special: Violet serpent formed spell. If it hits, it will damage opponent and heal user. If hit behind back, healing effect will be greater
    - Side special (giga fire): Does large amount of damage. Shoots fire diagonally downwards and if it hits ground, item or enemy, it will burst into upwards pillar of flame which damages nearby area
    - Normal special (thunder): According to charging time, it evolves from thunder to elthunder, giga thunder or thoron. Press b to charge and press again to unleash. If you press shield button while charging you can store the charge and
    continue where you left afterwards
    - Up special (elwind): Launches downwards 2 projectiles and Robin jumps from the momentum. If you use all the uses you can't unleash projectiles or use the jump effect.
    - Final smash (double): Chrom dashes in and slashes while Robin uses magic in midair.

Stages
    - There is a great variety of "gimmick" stages in this game and this (Ferox arena) is one of them
    - At the beginning the stage is flat but there will appear additional platforms
    - If you attack supported platform it will shake left and right or even crumble if attacked enough

Lucina
    - Lucina is as Sakurai told earlier: same moves as Marth but dealt damage is same for all parts of the sword
    - You can attach or detach the mask at the stage entry or with taunt

Other
    - There is also small dialogue kind of thing (between editors?) where they hype the Captain Falcon and my unit announcements
    - They may also say that they were surprised that Chrom isn't in, and Sakurai himself will explain the reasons at page 176 (unclear)

Go Nintendo wrote:Coming from Sakurai's reoccurring Famitsu feature...

We've just announced two new characters who will be joining the fray in the upcoming Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U. One is Robin, the avatar from Fire Emblem: Awakening, and the other is Lucina, a swordswoman who plays an important role in the same title. I'll skip over the details.

"What? Not Chrom!?" I suspect a lot of you will ask. Of course, Chrom is quite popular, being the protagonist of FE:A and all. However, I chose Robin and Lucina, and I will elaborate on my reasoning.

Robin appears in the game as a Tactician and functions much like a Mystic Knight (note: FF terminology, but equivalent to magic swordsman). I thought to utilize his all-around nature by assigning swordplay to his Smash attacks and magic tomes to his special attacks--that is, allow him to use magic.

His neutral special is thunder magic that grows stronger the larger you charge it. He uses fire magic for his side special, and wind magic for recovery as his up special. Although Robin doesn't use dark magic in FE:A, I decided to assign it as his down special. It isn't the first time I've given moves to a character that they don't use in their respective game in order to capture certain aspects of the original title.

I also implemented the system used in FE:A, in which tomes break after overuse. Likewise, I included a similar system for the Levin Sword, which breaks after a certain number of uses. However, both the tomes and the Levin Sword will quickly regenerate after a set period of time.

Lucina uses the same techniques as Marth, a fighter with whom I'm sure most of you are already familiar. I even went so far as to make their strength, speed, and special attacks almost identical.

However, what sets Lucina apart is the fact that the strength of her attacks is uniform along the blade. Marth's playstyle emulates the elegant swordplay of a fencer by dealing more damage when he strikes with the tip of his blade, but the damage Lucina deals is evened out. Thus, I think that Lucina will be much easier than Marth for novice players to play with.

I played all the way through FE:A and really wanted to include a character from that rich cast in Smash Bros. Naturally, I considered adding Chrom to the roster, but the decision wasn't easy by any means.

At the end of the day, Chrom would just end up being another plain-old sword-wielder like Marth and Ike. Compared with other characters, he lacks any unique characteristics.
    Conversely, when the idea of including Robin came to mind, conceiving the character was so easy that I immediately saw how it would work. From standards to specials, grabs to throws, all aspects of his moveset just fell into place. Not only did he possess characteristics unlike other fighters, but he also captured the essence of the Fire Emblem series. It was perfect!

In the end, if a game isn't fun, then there's no point. Of course, it would be really easy to make a game by churning out a ton of similar characters, but that's not how I produce games.

Initially, I had considered including Lucina as one of Marth's alternate costumes. After all, she has a close relationship with him in FE:A. In such cases, even if two characters' names and voices differ, as long as they function the same way, I assign them as alternate costumes. The Wii Fit Trainers, Villagers, and Robin are examples of this setup.

However, even though Lucina shares her physical stats and techniques with Marth, the characteristics of their attacks differ. When two such similar characters function in an even slightly different manner, I give them a separate spot on the roster since that will affect battle records and whatnot. In that sense, you could say she was very lucky to join the fray!

Its cool how you can have the mask on or off for Lucina and it seems like Chrom was on the roster early on so the leak might just been outdated info from a Namco worker. I think Lucina was the replacement for Chrom and Robin was added since Sakurai really liked FEA.

Last edited by Gameguy1996 on Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Winters Thief Zero Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:22 am

I called being able to put on Lucina's mask. And it makes sense that Chrom isn't playable, he'd be another Fire Emblem clone, which we don't need more of.

And it's cool that cats appear in the Living Room stage. They seem to actually be adding things from a lot of recent titles, in the previous games, most of the stages and characters were taken from games at least a generation before.
    Gameguy1996
    Gameguy1996
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Post by Gameguy1996 Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:28 am

Sakurai wrote:Pic of the day. Here's a Screen K.O. shot. There are also patterns where players will disappear into the sky for Star K.O.s, but as a match's time limit approaches, those K.O.s will not occur anymore.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS  - Page 52 2j11snp

I only saw the Star K.O.s so it's nice to see Mario's and Mac's Screen K.O. shots.
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Winters Thief Zero Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:23 am

I like that. XD It's a better effect than the Star KO's have. Also, in that Animal Crossing: City Folk stage, wouldn't it be cool if they had the villagers walking around in the city like they do in the actual game?
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Winters Thief Zero Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:06 pm

I meant to post this this morning, but I had to go, Corocoro confirmed they will just be showing the 3DS characters and stages already on the website in their August issue. So they won't spoil everything, luckily.
    Gameguy1996
    Gameguy1996
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Post by Gameguy1996 Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:59 am

Sakurai wrote:Pic of the day. Robin's Nosferatu is the first ability in the Smash Bros. series that recovers your damage as it gives damage to others. The attack becomes even stronger if you strike from behind! Robin doesn't actually use this ability in the original game, but we added that element to make the character unique. Who knows--the ideas we use in this game may contribute to the original series.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS  - Page 52 Dcuedt

Robin can use Nosferatu in FEA if you change his ability class. I think it's a cool idea for a move though since there has not been an attack like that in Smash Bros yet.
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Winters Thief Zero Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:55 am

Yeah, Robin can use Nosferatu. Sakurai must not have played much of the game. Razz That's a cool move for Smash Bros. though. I'm surprised there hasn't been a move like that in the past games.
    Gameguy1996
    Gameguy1996
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Post by Gameguy1996 Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:23 am

Sakurai wrote:Pic of the day. Here's the Great Fox from Star Fox: Assault. I wonder what missions it will conduct. It'll probably have fighters running around on top of it without the pilot's consent.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS  - Page 52 O0ugxf

It's about time we saw a Star Fox stage even if it looks like more of the same.
    Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Winters Thief Zero Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:31 am

Maybe they should give us a ground Star Fox stage? Because they all wind up being the exact same stage for the most part. Especially when they're taking from Star Fox Assault, where there were ground missions, just take an area from one of the ground missions and use that as a stage. It'd be more interesting than this. But it's cool to get a Star Fox stage, I wonder if that means Falco will be shown as returning this week?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 12:12 am