The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Nintendo Forum Site

Login/Register to post on the forums and chat in the chatbox.

The Nintendo Forum Site

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Should the death penalty be banned?

Winters Thief Zero
    Winters Thief Zero
    Admin
    Admin

Custom Title : Powered Up
    Internet Browser : Mozilla Firefox

User Points : 2147483647
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Splatoon

Should the death penalty be banned? Empty Should the death penalty be banned?

Post by Winters Thief Zero Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:25 pm

So this is a topic that I haven't really seen brought up in quite some time, but a lot of people still seem to be against it. What do you think of the death penalty?

Personally I don't think it should be banned. While it certainly shouldn't be used for all crimes, I do think for committing higher felonies it makes sense. If you're a mass murderer I don't really think simply having jail time with no other real punishments is quite suitable. That's not to say every time someone commits murder they should instantly be given the death penalty, but a lot of cases where that happens I feel it may be necessary.

In the end I just feel that although it shouldn't be used often there are some cases where I feel it's a necessary action to take.
    TheFrozenFairy
    TheFrozenFairy

Custom Title : Frigid Fairy of the Forest

User Points : 993

Should the death penalty be banned? Empty Re: Should the death penalty be banned?

Post by TheFrozenFairy Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:24 pm

I don't think it should be banned. It's suitable for the most heinous crimes like mass murders. It shouldn't be used all the time of course but it's a fine punishment for the most awful things imaginable. Life imprisonment is a fine punishment too. They have to be a true menace to society for such a punishment.
    Kyng
    Kyng
    Ness
    Ness

Internet Browser : Google Chrome

User Points : 1295

Should the death penalty be banned? Empty Re: Should the death penalty be banned?

Post by Kyng Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:06 pm

I don't have any moral objections against its use for, say, mass murderers. The problem I have is with the risk involved in executing someone innocent (which is even worse for the death penalty due to its irreversible nature; at least if someone is imprisoned and later found to be innocent they can be released and compensated). 

Of course, it would be possible to go to great trouble not to execute innocent people, but this is a long, drawn-out and expensive process (those lawyers aren't cheap, and of course the prisoner needs to be housed and fed the whole time). I'm not sure it's worth the cost, TBH.
    TheFrozenFairy
    TheFrozenFairy

Custom Title : Frigid Fairy of the Forest

User Points : 993

Post by TheFrozenFairy Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:07 am

KyngzIndeyen wrote:I don't have any moral objections against its use for, say, mass murderers. The problem I have is with the risk involved in executing someone innocent (which is even worse for the death penalty due to its irreversible nature; at least if someone is imprisoned and later found to be innocent they can be released and compensated). 

Of course, it would be possible to go to great trouble not to execute innocent people, but this is a long, drawn-out and expensive process (those lawyers aren't cheap, and of course the prisoner needs to be housed and fed the whole time). I'm not sure it's worth the cost, TBH.

That's true. It is possible that someone innocent could be executed, which is very unfortunate. They should have to be proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt of something horrible like mass murder to warrant the death penalty. It's very unfortunate if someone is executed but then was proven innocent later on.
    ZombieFish
    ZombieFish
    Waddle Dee
    Waddle Dee

Internet Browser : Google Chrome

User Points : 88
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Pokemon

Post by ZombieFish Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:05 pm

I agree with Kyngz here. It might be a waste of money because some people end up not having been guilty at all and that actually happens a lot more than a lot of people think just with any crime. Someone having to be killed for something they didn't actually do is not something I wanna think about.
    Bowser498
    Bowser498
    Pikachu
    Pikachu

Custom Title : Bowser498: Super Mario (Modern) Video Game Expert/Pro
    Internet Browser : Internet Explorer

User Points : 36
    Favorite Nintendo Game? : Super Mario Maker and Splatoon!

Post by Bowser498 Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:19 pm

Nope. I'd say keep it as it is for people who do bad things that tragically affect dozens of people, like the Boston Marathon. and I was around 100 miles from the actual place where it occured

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:47 pm